Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

15 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Also section 7d in your 1963 Pontiac manual is comprehensive and contains all procedures and details..Would not be a bad idea to read through it before you get started...Once you get the rebuild done.. You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it really was... 

two lane thank you for your encouragement!!

i have read 7d twice already !!! and its a mind f-- k to say the least !!! but like not only you have said but also my mechanic mate at the club last week, its all simple stuff ..

BUT i hear what you AND Last indian are saying about cleanliness :cheers:

While I was doing the tune up 

here was the little gift the 64 left on the floor to reminded me !!!! 

3AFA933F-5863-41EB-B086-BA46BE99D33D.jpeg

the black to the left is the front main seal leak, the one too the right is the trans fluid from the bell houseing

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

not sure how to do total advance with this timing light mate, i know how to mark the balancer to find total advance, but at this point i am more than happy that the 2 marks are the correct ones and the engine is running smooth as... and not kicking back on the stater.

Two Lane, the balancer on my 389 has a keyway and i am pretty sure the 2 marks are factory ones, also to remember my engine has only done 89000 miles, still have to address the score mark in the spigot, or i am wasting my time fitting a new front crank seal:cheers: 

Probably not very important to do total timing on a stock engine, but looks like your timing light can do it.

Rev the engine up until the timing doesn't move up any more and hold it there and then i think you can dial it back to zero on the balancer with the total timing button on the light and just read it right there.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

I guess it's time for me to eat some crow...I stand corrected....

Must be getting old and confused...And not nearly as sharp as I once was... Even 5 years ago...Getting old sucks...

Mate I know where your coming from ... a Chev balancer can move like you said 👍👍👍

after reading what you said I had go look at the marks again 

then I went and found the picture in the 63 shop manual 

what resetting the timing did do yesterday was make the engine way smoother so I knew it had to be close !

very good point about my 89,000 mile engine ! It is getting to that magic Hundy thousand and I will rebuild it ... but not justA yet 

I didn’t even want to rebuild the trans yet 

but with the oil pissing out, I really have no choice .... I really wanted to focus on getting the car road legal and then sort the long term stuff 😀👍👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
My poor spelling !! I went to school to eat my lunch and chase girls !!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

Sorry!! You need to make sure exactly what tranny you have before you buy any parts. Two Lane indicated you had a super hydromatic, that’s a good tranny. And from what I remember that should be what’s in the Bonni, but if by some chance it is a jetway than you need to rethink it as those are not!

If you end up rebuilding it I’ll be here to answer all I can. As I said I have rebuilt quite a few automatics as well as 4 & 5 speed Manuals. Autos are pretty straightforward. If you take your time, have a manual or take lots of relevant pictures you’ll be ok. A manual on the other hand takes a lot more diligence! 
kiwi you can lean on us! 
Merry Christmas!

The super hydromatic and Jetaway are the same transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Sorry!! You need to make sure exactly what tranny you have before you buy any parts. Two Lane indicated you had a super hydromatic, that’s a good tranny. And from what I remember that should be what’s in the Bonni, but if by some chance it is a jetway than you need to rethink it as those are not!

If you end up rebuilding it I’ll be here to answer all I can. As I said I have rebuilt quite a few automatics as well as 4 & 5 speed Manuals. Autos are pretty straightforward. If you take your time, have a manual or take lots of relevant pictures you’ll be ok. A manual on the other hand takes a lot more diligence! 
kiwi you can lean on us! 
Merry Christmas!

thank you for the supportive words Last Indian. the 1963 pontiac shop manual calls my trans a super hydromatic, the code is pbs 64  on the metal tag

the book says that roto hydramatics where never fitted to the bonnevilles 

my research says its called a jetaway 315

if you can find any info that will help me confirm this would be great

70549437-4682-4CD1-A298-82F83E6167A7.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2