Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Usually an Oriellys fan, but zone is almost next door to them on Dixie.  GO TO has always been Mazza's.  

AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Auto Value, O'Reillys is the order of convience for me. Closest Mazza's for me is on M-15 south of Ortonville.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

well, had a email this morning from rock auto, stating that they are sending the other gasket to me at no cost:cheers::dancingpontiac:

you guys are lucky to have parts stores local and parts stores that have the parts you need !!

if i walked into a local parts store here in Taupo, and asked for a led flasher unit for a 64 Bonneville, the guy/gal would just look at me funny, and say "a what?"

its bad enough just asking for run of the mill small block chev parts!, hence my issue trying to find headers for the 64 !🙄

then a speed shop an hour away charged me 800 bucks for a 429 rear main seal, 2 exhaust gaskets, a timing cover gasket and sump gasket! that had come from caddy daddy !🙄

so rock auto is my friend :) and yes Stewy, i have a bar fridge covered in rock auto :cheers: 

And your bang on Justa... rock auto dont have much for the likes of my 64, like suspension parts etc

• Like 2

Good for you Kiwi. Glad they are stepping up!

Getting parts for our cars is no easy task anymore either. Granted is still easier for us than you. The classic era of muscle car parts is fading into the sunset for a lot of us. Sure small block Chevy parts are still plentiful. However, Pontiac stopped making new engines in 1981. So it is aftermarket or recycle existing parts all the way. What aggrevates me the most when I go to the local parts store is when I'm asking for more typical common parts, like brake components. "Yeah I need rear brake shoes for a 72 Pontiac Lemans.  Nope - have to special order them - they can be here in 3 days. Grrr......do you have rear brake shoes for a 72 Chevelle? Oh yeah, here you go!" WTF? That's when I go ballistic. Same damn part....multiple car applications but the counter person doesn't realize that.....Aggghhh!

I consider myself lucky to be less than an hour's drive from a speciality store like National Parts Depot too. Still they don't quite carry 100% of everything I want, so I have to order from other places like Legendary, OPGI, or Amazon.  Still I appreciate the point you are making - you and Fritzy pay a large ransom in international shipping fees. That really has to suck - more than just your wallet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Getting parts for our cars is no easy task anymore either. Granted is still easier for us than you. The classic era of muscle car parts is fading into the sunset for a lot of us. Sure small block Chevy parts are still plentiful. However, Pontiac stopped making new engines in 1981. So it is aftermarket or recycle existing parts all the way. What aggrevates me the most when I go to the local parts store is when I'm asking for more typical common parts, like brake components. "Yeah I need rear brake shoes for a 72 Pontiac Lemans.  Nope - have to special order them - they can be here in 3 days. Grrr......do you have rear brake shoes for a 72 Chevelle? Oh yeah, here you go!" WTF? That's when I go ballistic. Same damn part....multiple car applications but the counter person doesn't realize that.....Aggghhh!

I consider myself lucky to be less than an hour's drive from a speciality store like National Parts Depot too. Still they don't quite carry 100% of everything I want, so I have to order from other places like Legendary, OPGI, or Amazon.  Still I appreciate the point you are making - you and Fritzy pay a large ransom in international shipping fees. That really has to suck - more than just your wallet.

Guess what frosty !...... doesn't stop us from loving our Pontiac's :dancingpontiac:

i read today that California is stopping people from buying petrol cars as of 2035...... good __ucking luck to that one :o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

"Yeah I need rear brake shoes for a 72 Pontiac Lemans.  Nope - have to special order them - they can be here in 3 days. Grrr......do you have rear brake shoes for a 72 Chevelle? Oh yeah, here you go!" WTF?

I don't know whether to invoke the "LOL" or "face palm" face...

So yesterday both of T.C.'s front sway bar links were replaced with parts I got off of Amazon (AC Delco's). I was hesitant about getting the parts from Amazon but I couldn't beat the price. I called multiple locations and the stupid things are nearly $100 a PIECE! 🤯 whereas on Amazon I got two for less than half the cost of one. I was concerned that they wouldn't be the correct part (even though Amazon said the part fit a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS) however they went on without issue. Time will tell how long they last. Even at Rock Auto, the two AC Delco links with shipping were going to be nearly $80 (which, in hindsight, appears to be a comparatively decent price).

This weekend I'm planning on replacing the front passenger door speaker in B.T.. I looked for a replacement speaker (OEM) from Rock Auto but not only did they not have any OEM speakers listed, they didn't have ANY speakers listed for a 2014 F-250 (which kind of surprised me). Wasn't too bad, though, as an OEM speaker from the Ford dealership was less than $32 new.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Guess what frosty !...... doesn't stop us from loving our Pontiac's :dancingpontiac:

i read today that California is stopping people from buying petrol cars as of 2035...... good __ucking luck to that one :o

I'm with you on that Kiwi, we love. 

Sometimes I just wish California would hurry up and fall into the ocean and get it over with. So what they have effectively done is legistated people's choice. You must buy a zero emissions vehicle (e.g. electric) or a bicycle after 2035. So what happens to all the pre-2035 vehicles still on the road? Are they going to bring back Cash for Clunkers?

1 hour ago, Stewy said:

I don't know whether to invoke the "LOL" or "face palm" face...

So yesterday both of T.C.'s front sway bar links were replaced with parts I got off of Amazon (AC Delco's). I was hesitant about getting the parts from Amazon but I couldn't beat the price. I called multiple locations and the stupid things are nearly $100 a PIECE! 🤯 whereas on Amazon I got two for less than half the cost of one. I was concerned that they wouldn't be the correct part (even though Amazon said the part fit a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS) however they went on without issue. Time will tell how long they last. Even at Rock Auto, the two AC Delco links with shipping were going to be nearly $80 (which, in hindsight, appears to be a comparatively decent price).

This weekend I'm planning on replacing the front passenger door speaker in B.T.. I looked for a replacement speaker (OEM) from Rock Auto but not only did they not have any OEM speakers listed, they didn't have ANY speakers listed for a 2014 F-250 (which kind of surprised me). Wasn't too bad, though, as an OEM speaker from the Ford dealership was less than $32 new.

Amazon has surprised me on some things. All the LED bulbs I bought for Lucy was a much better deal on Amazon that I've found anywhere else. It just goes to show that you have know what you are looking for and then comparision shop.

• Like 2

Just now, wdl182 said:

I don't know where you guys are coming up with these prices? I work for CarQuest and Front Sway Bar Links by MOOG # K80252 are $29.30 each out the door!! This is for a 2009 Malibu with 3.6 motor! Am I missing something??

Stewy for your 2005 Gran Prix Moog #K 80852 $26.93 each sway bar links !

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Frosty, Brake shoes # S242 at CarQuest/Advance Auto $13.08 next day!! For your 1972 Pontiac Lemans with 400 cu in 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, wdl182 said:

Frosty, were you at Garden City tonight? saw a lot of Pictures on Facebook!!

Sorry bud - it was not me. Lucy is still down for the count.

I worked on Lucy on Saturday. Still having turn signal and h-beam not working / issues. I ordered and installed new LED flashers. That didn't do anything to help the situation. I honest think it is the original circuit board. Here is a photo of the circuit at the connection. I'd say she is pretty well shot. I ordered yet a 3rd circuit board from OPGI. I hope this is finally the correct one..

1742804833_IMG_53621.thumb.JPG.3b714ea1757ef4f9cb8aeb23b3b57f61.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

46 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Hey Stewy, the bike in the reflection, an old Honda? Super sport maybe?

Suzuski, actually. 1980 GS550E. You ride?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Man that's cool! Love to see a few pics that aren't in a reflection lol. Yes sir I do, that's my baby in Commerce Township a couple of years ago while visiting my sister.

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

She's pretty! 😍

I'll dig up some pictures of my 550 and get them up soon (actually, just this morning, I started the fall detail on the bike getting it prepped for winter storage). The 550 has been an awesome bike - love riding it around town and even take it for relatively short (< 1 hr.) trips on the expressway (passing semis is fine... so long as I'm prepared for it 😉).

I was planning on, beginning this past spring, starting to look for a second bike but... well, this whole year has been, for met at least, (nearly) complete "reactive" mode so getting a second bike has taken a far back burner for the time being.

I've been riding the 550 for the past eight or so years so I'm ready for an upgrade (not replacing the 550, just adding to the fleet). I would like to get certain amenities - like a windshield, cruise, bags, back rest for driver & passenger, an engine that's water cooled, around double the engine displacement and a few other miscellaneous things (make the ride, for my wife and I, much for inviting when taking the bike on a weekend trip).

I'm actually really looking forward to when my daughter is old enough to start riding - she's only two but has already expressed a huge interest in riding it #ProudDad 😁

Ok, got to the pictures a little quicker than I thought (don't mind how the front wheel looks like a polygon, the sun / heat was messing w/ the camera) - 01.thumb.jpg.62a63393485020b3e3f20ad5c2dfe180.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.e80606ce8f3c88d6a6d33abf4d441325.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.c0978cf55cae0d0827e84636c39dee8f.jpg

Edited by Stewy
  • Like 1

Thanks bro. Yeah both my son and daughter ride with me. Well in town, still wont get on the big road with them lol. Your 550 is awesome man! Looks to be in amazing condition. Bet she's a blast around town, quick and nimble. Always loved the way quad pipes looked coming out the front of the frame and gave it a very unique sound. Just cool no matter how you look at it! Man she's beautiful, Thanks for showing her to me.

18 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Thanks bro. Yeah both my son and daughter ride with me. Well in town, still wont get on the big road with them lol. Your 550 is awesome man! Looks to be in amazing condition. Bet she's a blast around town, quick and nimble. Always loved the way quad pipes looked coming out the front of the frame and gave it a very unique sound. Just cool no matter how you look at it! Man she's beautiful, Thanks for showing her to me.

Thanks! 😀. I love your seat (as strange as that my sound). Friend of mine has a similar bike and, again without sounding too weird, I really like how comfortable my butt is in it.

Guy I know who works on bikes out of his garage one day showed me a GS750 (next step up from my bike) that was a six cylinder - made me laugh how far on each side of the frame the engine hung over. If you banked too far on that bike, you were likely to scrape the crank cover, forget scraping the frame / exhaust! 😄.

It's therapeutic, especially in the evenings (at least for me), to get out and just ride. Going no where in particular - just out burning gas 😊

• Like 1

Funny you say that about my seat. I'm actually thinking about getting another one. I want the same look, but after about 100mi on my factory seat my butt starts going numb lol. 

Talking about big over hanging engines have you look at Boss Hoss? They use car engines, up to 454s even. That's crazy! 

Yeah, I don't worry about leaning mine to far. The floor boards stop me. I know, there's scrapes underneath already lol.

I totally agree, especially at night when everything has calmed down. Its like everything moves at a different pace. There is a reason you never see a motorcycle outside of a psychiatrist office!

standard_04.jpg

SuperSport_04.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Frosty said:

Um this is good stuff boys, but aren't we a tad off topic? This thread is called "What did you do to your Car today?",not how much I admire your motorcycle!!!!  Sheesh!   :picard:

Well I had new Front wheel bearings put on the 64 last Friday and then Saturday took her out for a 100 + mile drive!! Beautiful country side in the Finger Lakes!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wrongway said:

There is a reason you never see a motorcycle outside of a psychiatrist office!

LOL! :lol:. Love it!

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

Um this is good stuff boys, but aren't we a tad off topic? This thread is called "What did you do to your Car today?",not how much I admire your motorcycle!!!!  Sheesh!   :picard:

Yes, mom 😁 😉  (kidding - I feel I can since we have, albeit a small as of now, rapport IRL 🙂)

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

"What did you do to your Car today?"

Lets see, as of this morning - more detailing (I'm feeling like a broken record 🙃). However, there was an "incident" and I now need to rebuild the seat on my mechanic creeper / seat. Rebuild the cheap seat into something much more improved...

Edited by Stewy
  • Like 1