Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Damon Lewis' 1977 Can Am

2021 July
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

What did you do to your Car today?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Kiwi, you asked me in an earlier post why I changed my circuit board on my cluster. Here's why.

IMG_5307.thumb.JPG.effb13d13d456e41f265412f2a00744e.JPG

IMG_5309.thumb.JPG.b1a53481f02da60a8a8c30a2757f372a.JPG

IMG_5308.thumb.JPG.53d882d334d1ab2eb04c7691825f8fa0.JPG

Clearly after almost 50 years it's starting to delaminate. Nothing's built to last any more.

Here is also why I decided to order new door panels from Legendary.

IMG_5312.thumb.JPG.8bb4ffeb693bb651aab7093c7299ed0c.JPG

IMG_5313.thumb.JPG.158de983a2801b093e2a9dfe481dc4d6.JPG

Again age is taking it's toll, and probably my abuse....

Frosty, you might consider panhead screws with a nice flat encapsulating washer that would tend to have more of a clamping action as opposed to dimpling action! If you do consider that the washers may not exist, if you give me the head measurements and how many I could make them and send them to you. JustA thought!

These are the type of washer 

86AB18A3-4C76-4E72-AAA2-EA10865F1C77.jpeg
And this is the type of screw.

B5042B0F-3F44-4500-A7A2-DBEEFDB08C91.png

Edited by Last Indian

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Kiwi, you asked me in an earlier post why I changed my circuit board on my cluster. Here's why.

IMG_5307.thumb.JPG.effb13d13d456e41f265412f2a00744e.JPG

IMG_5309.thumb.JPG.b1a53481f02da60a8a8c30a2757f372a.JPG

IMG_5308.thumb.JPG.53d882d334d1ab2eb04c7691825f8fa0.JPG

Clearly after almost 50 years it's starting to delaminate. Nothing's built to last any more.

Here is also why I decided to order new door panels from Legendary.

IMG_5312.thumb.JPG.8bb4ffeb693bb651aab7093c7299ed0c.JPG

IMG_5313.thumb.JPG.158de983a2801b093e2a9dfe481dc4d6.JPG

Again age is taking it's toll, and probably my abuse....

Ah pretty stink !!! that circuit board should last wayyy better than 50 years!!🙄Hahaha.

image.png.a732fa843f2773779ef49fe85f58dbac.png

I like Last indian's idea of a better screw and a washer that loads the area better, what i would add is when you get your new panel, lift the upholstery off the board in the corner and and a whole corner section of thin metal to brace the whole corner and that washer will work way better :dancingpontiac:

Justa thought 🙄

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

image.png.a732fa843f2773779ef49fe85f58dbac.png

I like Last indian's idea of a better screw and a washer that loads the area better, what i would add is when you get your new panel, lift the upholstery off the board in the corner and and a whole corner section of thin metal to brace the whole corner and that washer will work way better :dancingpontiac:

Justa thought 🙄

Kiwi, I've ordered a set of door panel mounting plugs from OPGI for Lucy to help reinforce the screws in the door. I do like your suggestion about reinforcing the corner though.

image.thumb.png.149a6a3fa2866a801847dc590a07e9e4.png

• Like 1

As of Sunday evening I have begun the fall detail regimen on T.C. and I'm looking at getting a tailgate hinge lock for B.T. off of Amazon (apparently stealing tailgates is a thing 😕). I'm also searching for an adapter for B.T. that will connect my Motive pressure bleeder to the brake reservoir in preparation for next spring / summer when I am planning on flushing the brake system on all the vehicles again.

Edited by Stewy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original convertible top lines are plastic nylon. The replacements from NPD are too. Since NPD is about 45 minutes away, that is what I purchased. I didn't expect one of the replacement lines to blow out the way it did. I'd prefer a custom made hose over this plastic stuff. Still the original host lasted 46 years too.

As for the turn signals and hi-beam indicator, no they are not showing up on the dash. The hi-beam switch does work - the lights themselves toggle between low and hi beam. I get no blinking sound or blinking indicator left or right or hi-beam on the dash..

• Sad 1

You guys make a good point. I was aware of possibily needing a new flasher to support the external lights like the LED versions of the 1156s/1157s but I didn't think I'd need it for the dash bulbs (194s). Yeah, I think I will start looking around at the local auto parts stores.

• Like 1

Got my Rock auto order today 

and clearly I had a blonde moment 😫

i managed to order only 1 intake gasket for the 429 ! 

Here I was thinking I was ordering a intake set !!!

892954F3-5271-48DB-ADD1-1F5F68D206F3.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Correction ! i didnt have a Blonde moment! 

i just went on their web site and it clearly shows 2 gaskets and states "set"

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fel-pro,MS8931SH1,intake+manifold+gasket,5424

so i have emailed them about it... lets see what happens.

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Love Rock Auto's magnets. Have a bunch of them on my tool chest. My most recent (~ a month ago), to a little bit of my pleasant surprise, was a 6th generation Grand Prix.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:32 PM, Frosty said:

You may have a point there mate. I will have to see if I can find an LED compatible flasher unit locally.

I ordered a pair of LED Flashers from Summit Racing yesterday. They should be here tomorrow. Not sure if I need two but I hedged my bet just in case I need a set for the turn signals and one for the emergency flashers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stewy said:

Love Rock Auto's magnets. Have a bunch of them on my tool chest. My most recent (~ a month ago), to a little bit of my pleasant surprise, was a 6th generation Grand Prix.

Get mine from carshow goodie bags.  Have never ordered from them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Get mine from carshow goodie bags.  Have never ordered from them.

Ditto. Honestly, I don't recall ordering anything from RockAuto. I have nothing against them.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Ditto. Honestly, I don't recall ordering anything from RockAuto. I have nothing against them.

Like you, nothing against them.  Few times I've looked, they haven't had what I need.

23 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Like you, nothing against them.  Few times I've looked, they haven't had what I need.

Agreed. That's usually been my problem, or I can drive to AutoZone and get it now and not wait for shipping.

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Agreed. That's usually been my problem, or I can drive to AutoZone and get it now and not wait for shipping.

Usually an Oriellys fan, but zone is almost next door to them on Dixie.  GO TO has always been Mazza's.