Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Kiwi, you asked me in an earlier post why I changed my circuit board on my cluster. Here's why.

IMG_5307.thumb.JPG.effb13d13d456e41f265412f2a00744e.JPG

IMG_5309.thumb.JPG.b1a53481f02da60a8a8c30a2757f372a.JPG

IMG_5308.thumb.JPG.53d882d334d1ab2eb04c7691825f8fa0.JPG

Clearly after almost 50 years it's starting to delaminate. Nothing's built to last any more.

Here is also why I decided to order new door panels from Legendary.

IMG_5312.thumb.JPG.8bb4ffeb693bb651aab7093c7299ed0c.JPG

IMG_5313.thumb.JPG.158de983a2801b093e2a9dfe481dc4d6.JPG

Again age is taking it's toll, and probably my abuse....

It’s not you buddy! Very typical of those type of panels! Not that today’s are really any better! One of the problems are how they attach, which you can’t change! The only piece you can really effect are the attaching screws and the washer they typically use! Sometimes those either cut into the fabric or cup hard board the fabric is on.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Thanks 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Kiwi, you asked me in an earlier post why I changed my circuit board on my cluster. Here's why.

Clearly after almost 50 years it's starting to delaminate. Nothing's built to last any more.

Frosty, you might consider panhead screws with a nice flat encapsulating washer that would tend to have more of a clamping action as opposed to dimpling action! If you do consider that the washers may not exist, if you give me the head measurements and how many I could make them and send them to you. JustA thought!

These are the type of washer 

86AB18A3-4C76-4E72-AAA2-EA10865F1C77.jpeg
And this is the type of screw.

B5042B0F-3F44-4500-A7A2-DBEEFDB08C91.png

Edited by Last Indian

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ah pretty stink !!! that circuit board should last wayyy better than 50 years!!🙄Hahaha.

image.png.a732fa843f2773779ef49fe85f58dbac.png

I like Last indian's idea of a better screw and a washer that loads the area better, what i would add is when you get your new panel, lift the upholstery off the board in the corner and and a whole corner section of thin metal to brace the whole corner and that washer will work way better :dancingpontiac:

Justa thought 🙄

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

image.png.a732fa843f2773779ef49fe85f58dbac.png

I like Last indian's idea of a better screw and a washer that loads the area better, what i would add is when you get your new panel, lift the upholstery off the board in the corner and and a whole corner section of thin metal to brace the whole corner and that washer will work way better :dancingpontiac:

Justa thought 🙄

Kiwi, I've ordered a set of door panel mounting plugs from OPGI for Lucy to help reinforce the screws in the door. I do like your suggestion about reinforcing the corner though.

image.thumb.png.149a6a3fa2866a801847dc590a07e9e4.png

• Like 1

As of Sunday evening I have begun the fall detail regimen on T.C. and I'm looking at getting a tailgate hinge lock for B.T. off of Amazon (apparently stealing tailgates is a thing 😕). I'm also searching for an adapter for B.T. that will connect my Motive pressure bleeder to the brake reservoir in preparation for next spring / summer when I am planning on flushing the brake system on all the vehicles again.

Edited by Stewy
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, Frosty said:

Thanks Last Indian.

I had one other problem yesterday, I worked on the hydraulics of the convertible top. It's been a problem for the last couple of years. It's been leaking at the bottom of the passenger side ram. Well I checked all my tap and dies, and of course I don't have the right size/thread pitch. Still I tightened up the fitting as best I could. I crawled into the trunk and filled up the reservoir with transmission fluid. I lightly put the rubber stopper back in and hit the switch.....I heard the motor kick in. Good....I saw the ram arms start to move....good. Then I plop sound, followed by a bubbling noise....not good.

I looked around the passenger compartment nothing. I looked in the trunk....the stopper shot out of the pump and it's leaking fluid all over the trunk. This time the "new" hose failed at the fitting just below the pump. 

Aggghhh....I feel like Charlie Brown and his kite sometimes. I replaced both lines and both rams almost two years ago when one of the original factory hoses gave up the ghost to begin with. I had to replace the rams because the threads on the host didn't match the original rams. Only the pump is original at this point. Grrr,,,,,

IMG_5315.thumb.JPG.1423f0d04a4493573d9378b6566823ba.JPG

IMG_5317.thumb.JPG.b4a363c3a7c2c7da512b729677a29c61.JPG

I had the good sense to purchase a spare set of hose awhile back, so I had it on hand. I tried getting the new hose to fit the passenger side ram and it wouldn't start. I had purchased a spare ram awhile ago too. It had some threaded caps on it. I took one of the caps off and tried it the passenger ram. That's when I realized the lower thread on the passenger ram was striped. I ended up replacing the passenger ram with the new one. New hose and new ram at this point.

I climbed back into the trunk and refilled the reservoir. I hit the power top switch and the rams went up and down! I reconnected the convertible top to the rams and tested it again. The top went up and down - yeah! No fluid leaks so far. I will test the top again this weekend just to make sure.

Frosty, while I know you’ve fix it and I hope that’s permanent, one thing to consider is changing the lines while you are still doing all your work on Lucy. Those type of crimped nylon line are inherently problematic! They usually do exactly that! It’s difficult to crimp them without causing stress points! Then any added stress I.E. swelling due to pressure line movement, or even aging due to fluid contact, etc. basically work fatigues them. If you have the room, & I think you might. Change the tees out for AN # 4 tee with a 1/4 npt female using a 1/4 tubing to 1/4 npt adaptor. You will also need an adaptor at the rams. This will allow you to run AN hose & fittings.

This is # 4 AN tee with a 1/4 npt on top

9B050006-A706-45F8-8540-C56DA05C01B6.jpeg
this is a 1/4 tubing to 1/4 pipe adaptor! 

DE57F074-7FA4-47E5-8C6E-F292772BC3C6.jpeg
What size is the nylon line? It looks to be 1/4. I also presume that the fitting arrangement for the ram is tubing? I.E. cap and ferrule! 
Do you have a Parker store near you anywhere?

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on Lucy again this weekend. I took the dash back out again because I got another circuit. Well wouldn't you know it, this one was wrong too! Well f**k! I was mad and I dragged out the wife's glue stick (she was off scrapbooking for the weekend) and I reglued the loose connections of the original circuit board and put it back in. Now my water temp gage is working again, but now my turn signals and hi-beam signal aren't. I'm hoping this has more to do with a loose connection under the dash and not the cluster.

I also tweak the radio mounting. I was not happy the way the push button were pushing against the separator plate on the dash. It was rubbing against it. So I tweaked the mounting rails a little bit and got a better alignment. I'm hoping this is the last time I yank the whole dash out. I'd really like to start putting Lucy back together.

The good news is the hydraulics on the top appears to be fixed. I topped off the reservoir again on Saturday, and tested it up and down a few times. It works. No apparent leaks. If it leaks again, then Last Indian, I will take up your suggestion and reach out my local Parker's, which is in Saginaw I beleive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I worked on Lucy again this weekend. I took the dash back out again because I got another circuit. Well wouldn't you know it, this one was wrong too! Well f**k! I was mad and I dragged out the wife's glue stick (she was off scrapbooking for the weekend) and I reglued the loose connections of the original circuit board and put it back in.

good on you mate!!! thats exactly what i would do:cheers:

but now my turn signals and hi-beam signal aren't. I'm hoping this has more to do with a loose connection under the dash and not the cluster.

are they not showing on the dash? or are you saying they are not working full stop ?, if so go back to the switch and the plug on the switch, on both, including your dip switch.

electrical contact spray the plugs, sand what you can get at, it wont be much.

The good news is the hydraulics on the top appears to be fixed. I topped off the reservoir again on Saturday, and tested it up and down a few times. It works. No apparent leaks. If it leaks again, then Last Indian, I will take up your suggestion and reach out my local Parker's, which is in Saginaw I beleive.

thats good mate :cheers:, but long term i am with Last Indian, replace all the hoses with new an fitting and new hose..... what did you tell me about fuel hoses, a few months ago :) 

Teflon  hose is really good, you may consider that and crimped fittings🙄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started B.T.'s fall detail. I swear I've done nothing but detailing this entire summer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it and love the fruit of my labor but this seems to have been an unusual spring / summer / fall (in so very many ways...).

• Like 2

The original convertible top lines are plastic nylon. The replacements from NPD are too. Since NPD is about 45 minutes away, that is what I purchased. I didn't expect one of the replacement lines to blow out the way it did. I'd prefer a custom made hose over this plastic stuff. Still the original host lasted 46 years too.

As for the turn signals and hi-beam indicator, no they are not showing up on the dash. The hi-beam switch does work - the lights themselves toggle between low and hi beam. I get no blinking sound or blinking indicator left or right or hi-beam on the dash..

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

try a new flasher unit mate, it may have something to do with you going led, not loading up the flasher unit ? 🙄

and you may need to test the high beam led bulb

You may have a point there mate. I will have to see if I can find an LED compatible flasher unit locally.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You may have a point there mate. I will have to see if I can find an LED compatible flasher unit locally.

I thought I touched on that, but guess not! Yes if you are running led lights in the turn signals anywhere you need a different flasher. You can get it at NAPA. I had to change mine when I went to leds!

It might be a different part number for your car, but you get the point.

A2F8F59F-2C74-412D-8DA6-8D37E6453E7F.jpeg

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

You guys make a good point. I was aware of possibily needing a new flasher to support the external lights like the LED versions of the 1156s/1157s but I didn't think I'd need it for the dash bulbs (194s). Yeah, I think I will start looking around at the local auto parts stores.

• Like 1

Got my Rock auto order today 

and clearly I had a blonde moment 😫

i managed to order only 1 intake gasket for the 429 ! 

Here I was thinking I was ordering a intake set !!!

892954F3-5271-48DB-ADD1-1F5F68D206F3.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Correction ! i didnt have a Blonde moment! 

i just went on their web site and it clearly shows 2 gaskets and states "set"

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fel-pro,MS8931SH1,intake+manifold+gasket,5424

so i have emailed them about it... lets see what happens.

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Love Rock Auto's magnets. Have a bunch of them on my tool chest. My most recent (~ a month ago), to a little bit of my pleasant surprise, was a 6th generation Grand Prix.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:32 PM, Frosty said:

I ordered a pair of LED Flashers from Summit Racing yesterday. They should be here tomorrow. Not sure if I need two but I hedged my bet just in case I need a set for the turn signals and one for the emergency flashers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stewy said:

Love Rock Auto's magnets. Have a bunch of them on my tool chest. My most recent (~ a month ago), to a little bit of my pleasant surprise, was a 6th generation Grand Prix.

Get mine from carshow goodie bags.  Have never ordered from them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Get mine from carshow goodie bags.  Have never ordered from them.

Ditto. Honestly, I don't recall ordering anything from RockAuto. I have nothing against them.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Ditto. Honestly, I don't recall ordering anything from RockAuto. I have nothing against them.

Like you, nothing against them.  Few times I've looked, they haven't had what I need.

23 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Like you, nothing against them.  Few times I've looked, they haven't had what I need.

Agreed. That's usually been my problem, or I can drive to AutoZone and get it now and not wait for shipping.

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Agreed. That's usually been my problem, or I can drive to AutoZone and get it now and not wait for shipping.

Usually an Oriellys fan, but zone is almost next door to them on Dixie.  GO TO has always been Mazza's.