Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Ol bird gets a new heart

2 hours ago, Last Indian said:

I would JustA make a 50/50 solution of water & muratic acid in a pail or pan & let the cover soak, but the polished pump needs treated differently. The muratic acid will etch the polished pump to gray! Do you have a pressure washer? If so I would try that.

Anything that’s polished is going to have the finish ruined by a harsh cleaner/acid bath. Since you have the parts off, I would also some stiff bristled brushes. Especially some that are braided wire, as those will flex a lot

Too hot out, takin a break in the A/C.  Won't make crusin with the gang tonight.  Gonna Justa use the muratic acid in the rad by itself.  Thinking I can fill it 1/2 way, let sit.  Shake it back N forth, let it sit some more on the next side til I've hit all 4 sides.  Rinse and see what comes out..   Wire brushed the inside of the water pump and outlet best as I can reach with toothbrush sized wire brushes.  Have a long round stone acc for my dremel that might reach back far enough to finish the curve and hit the stubborn stuff.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Damn Justa, you weren't kidding about it looking like jelly. Looks like melted gummy bears bro!

Thats my backup timing cover, won't even mess with other one.  That stuff got hard and comes out like cottage cheese when dug with my knife.  This was NOT mixing anti freeze with other brands,  this was using Water Wetter with my anti-freeze.  A product that actually works dropping your overall temp 20 degrees. Swore by the stuff.  I had it in the GTO too when I was 1st runnin it and having heating issues.  Replacing the entire cooling system fixed that and I never used it again.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Well actually neither of us ever really bought into the whole commercial industry shtick! We spend our time together & enjoy that! To us it’s a little like a friend we know who throws a birthday party for herself! Seems a little narcissistic! 
Our daughter did have us for dinner & gave us a wonderful gift. 

good on you Mate 👍

i am a bit of a romantic, i have spent a few dollars on my lovely boss over the years, to the point that my jewelry shop smiles every single time i walk in the door !( but i get 20% discount now too) not that i buy junk jewelry ! last trip was justA under 12k !

ya wonder why they smile when i walk in ! :rofl:

guess its justA my way of showing the boss i love her ! ( considering what she has to put up with ) :rofl:

• Like 2

Checked on a starter for the GTO yesterday and had to order it.  Picked up my plugs for the V6.  Cleaned up the timing cover/bolts,  tapped N cleaned all water pump bolt holes, ready for paint.  Really torn to spend the bucks and get a new timing cover with a new oil pump or use this one.  My new Michigan bridge JUSTA6 plate arrived yesterday as well.  Funny,  Justa66's didn't arrive.  Spent a good amount of time with steele wool N mag polish to get my water pump back to shiny. Need to get the starter out of the GTO N take with, so they can test it for me. Make sure it's not a wiring issue.  Need to get the timing cover on N start getting some parts out of piles on the floor and everywhere else.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Checked on a starter for the GTO yesterday and had to order it.  Picked up my plugs for the V6.  Cleaned up the timing cover/bolts,  tapped N cleaned all water pump bolt holes, ready for paint.  Really torn to spend the bucks and get a new timing cover with a new oil pump or use this one.  My new Michigan bridge JUSTA6 plate arrived yesterday as well.  Funny,  Justa66's didn't arrive.  Spent a good amount of time with steele wool N mag polish to get my water pump back to shiny. Need to get the starter out of the GTO N take with, so they can test it for me. Make sure it's not a wiring issue.  Need to get the timing cover on N start getting some parts out of piles on the floor and everywhere else.

awww wheres the pictures:dancingpontiac:

• Haha 1

I'm with Wrongway. Those Big Mac bridge plates look great!

What is the latest on the water pump?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm with Wrongway. Those Big Mac bridge plates look great!

What is the latest on the water pump?

Timing cover is done, painted cleared.  Spent so much time on the 1st cover only to have 4-5 bolts break, taking off the water pump off.  Junk...start over with my other spare.  Pump has been polished back up.  Start building this AM.  Need to dig through my gasket box N find a rope seal for the timing cover.  NOTE: Carb cleaner did a great job of removing the jelly from the pump N passages. The hardened stuff still had to be wire brushed.  Need to have one of the cars running for the labor day show.  Going this year Frosty?? The Mac plate will look so good on the Sunbird as the plate sits in the black stripe with the mirror tail light covers.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2

Have not thought about the Labor Day show at all, to be honest. Right now, I've thought about the UM football game on Saturday, and my brother's birthday on Sunday. Brother decided to bag getting together on his birthday so he can hang with his friends. I got a tailgate party on Saturday before the game at Ferry Field (Track and Field area). 

Let's talk about Labor Day.....it's a possibility.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Have not thought about the Labor Day show at all, to be honest. Right now, I've thought about the UM football game on Saturday, and my brother's birthday on Sunday. Brother decided to bag getting together on his birthday so he can hang with his friends. I got a tailgate party on Saturday before the game at Ferry Field (Track and Field area). 

Let's talk about Labor Day.....it's a possibility.

You have always been busy. Monday 9-5-22, $20.00  Coffee/doughnuts for Carshow participants, doorprizes, dashplaques They have a huge, inside rummage sale, book/art sale, bake sale, food, lots of outside vendors (including car related), kids activities, blowup houses ect.  5449 Clarkston/Orion Rd, 1st Congregational Church. Just East of Sashabaw. At Pine Knob.  Do need to be there as early as possable.  Will try to hold you a parking spot with me.  Big turnout of Widetrackers.  Small show, but the quality of cars is amazing.  I'm shootin to have 1 of my cars there.  Fingers crossed Sunbird.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BearGFR said:

Unless you're just wanting to keep it all original/numbers matching, I'm thinking that any Pontiac starter for 1964 and earlier (that mounts to the bell housing and not the block) ought to work, assuming that's your situation.

I'd also be sorely tempted to change out that timing cover/water pump for the later 11-bolt style that uses a regular front seal.

But then, I see in your profile that you retired from PMD, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about :D

Cheers,

Bear

All good bud.  I ordered a starter from Auto Zone as I had a gift card to get rid of.  Came in yesterday and I took my old one to match.  Wrong...when he couldn't find a listing for a 64 421 he ordered a 64 389 starter.  Not even in the ball park.  64 was the 1st year the starter was on the block and NOT on the tranney for the 421.  I searched when I got home and even went up to my go to parts supplier (Mazzas that supply's parts for most all local auto shops.)  Nothing.  It can be rebuilt at Mazzas but can't drop it off til Monday AM.  You can knock out the old rope seal/metal  and replace with a regular seal for the V6.  Touch/grind the Dimples from the original press and hammer in the new seal with a couple dimples to hold in place.  Replacement covers I've seen are going for 180.00 plus and they have the old stock gears in the oil pump.  The cover I'm trying to use has replacement gears for High volume.  Got most of the top end done/assembled on the V6,  heads, valvetrain.  Looks like a lil girl caught with her pants down.:rofl: but can't button up the lower end N get it back in the car til the timing cover is on there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I'm in the garage and the wind starts to kick up. Closed the big door and went back to the V6. Heard a huge crack and a bigger thud on my roof, dropped to my knees thinkin the roof is coming down. Power went out, but had a flashlight close.  Didn't appear to have come through anywhere.  Neighbors 80ft tall tree split and from what I can tell bent my utility trailer in half, can't get through the mess to see better, but the hitch looks buried in the ground and one of my 2in angle iron braces is torn in two.  Can't see most of my garage roof, but have siding torn off.  My entire garden is smashed.  Wife recovered what tomatoes, peppers N beans she could get to. We are on the generator power so I can run lights, got the internet back, fridge N freezer.  Only in the kitchen, dining room, rest of the house is dark, but keepin the food happy.  Generator is sooo loud between the house N garage, sure you can hear it a mile away.  Justa thankful to have it.  Most of my neighbors do not.

• Sad 5