Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Ol bird gets a new heart

31 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

LOVE the FLAG! I know what a pain a well can be & I only have one to water my lawn.

Ok, it’s the bottom pivot bolt that treads into the cylinder head, right? If so look at keensert. They will work better than a helicoil for your issue. Do you now have the broken bolt out of the head now. Let me know if this is right. If it is I’ll explain further.

Oh last Indian ! Your going to have to educate me on what a keensert is 

i have never heard of them !! 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hole is now larger than the bolt that broke. It will drop right in. Picked up what I thought was the next size drill bit, but appears to be the same size.  Now the next size tap in my set will not drop in the hole, but as it's elongated, i don't know if the tap would cut in straight or not.  LMAO, I could always swap the heads from side to side putting the bad bolt hole in the back.  So much going on.  Daughters wedding is coming up,  we all meet up at the cabin for the 4th every year.  So was up for memorial day weekend cut the lawn (broke my riding mower)  then my generator gave up and to finish it all off, broke the chain on my chainsaw.  So funds went towards new generator.  Worked on the GTO for many hours N gave up.  Like you spreading myself too thin.  Got the boat out N had to do a bunch on that to get er to run.  Stuck to the house since Sunday waiting on a well service.  Need to make the week long stay N toys work.  Then home to Aho N elbo on the GTO for the next Pontiac show.  They have had my block for the Sunbird for 2 weeks now N haven't heard a word.  That needs to be on the road for the Dream cruise in Aug.  

Never heard of keensert?   Hell, never used a Heli coil.  Can my local shop order keensert?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Oh last Indian ! Your going to have to educate me on what a keensert is 

i have never heard of them !! 

23 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Hole is now larger than the bolt that broke. It will drop right in. Picked up what I thought was the next size drill bit, but appears to be the same size.  Now the next size tap in my set will not drop in the hole, but as it's elongated, i don't know if the tap would cut in straight or not.  LMAO, I could always swap the heads from side to side putting the bad bolt hole in the back.  So much going on.  Daughters wedding is coming up,  we all meet up at the cabin for the 4th every year.  So was up for memorial day weekend cut the lawn (broke my riding mower)  then my generator gave up and to finish it all off, broke the chain on my chainsaw.  So funds went towards new generator.  Worked on the GTO for many hours N gave up.  Like you spreading myself too thin.  Got the boat out N had to do a bunch on that to get er to run.  Stuck to the house since Sunday waiting on a well service.  Need to make the week long stay N toys work.  Then home to Aho N elbo on the GTO for the next Pontiac show.  They have had my block for the Sunbird for 2 weeks now N haven't heard a word.  That needs to be on the road for the Dream cruise in Aug.  

Never heard of keensert?   Hell, never used a Heli coil.  Can my local shop order keensert?

Keensert come in a lot of different sizes. Here’s a small example.

https://www.mfsupply.com/keenserts-metric-keylocking-inserts-s/2050.htm

614E482E-2E53-4F9C-BDC1-2DD55AF3E377.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Justa got a call from the machine shop and they finally started on my block.  They found NOTHING wrong in my rotating assembly.  They will kiss the cyls to clean em up and put in new rings.  The ones in there had been cut wrong (end gap) for a boosted engine. (the only thing they could find wrong!)  The KNOCK Must have been the crank gear letting go.  Glad I shut it off right away. Rings, Clevite bearings will be ordered tomorrow.  Rotating short block basiclly, will be assembled and ready to pick up next week.  Timing chain, blower head gaskets, full engine gasket kit will hopefully be there waiting as well.  NOW I have to find a new set of heads or get the others off the engine still in the car.  I don't know if they will even come apart after being JB Welded to the block. 

https://www.mfsupply.com/Keenserts-for-Manufacturers-s/2062.htm

Great news! There are a lot of different keensert, thin wall, heavy wall, metric, American std. etc. 

JustA, you know what a center drill is right? You might find a center drill that has a O.D. That won’t make the hole to big, but is big enough to straighten out the oblong hole. You will need to remove the small starter tip drill of the center drill though. Are you confused yet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Last Indian said:

Great news! There are a lot of different keensert, thin wall, heavy wall, metric, American std. etc. 

JustA, you know what a center drill is right? You might find a center drill that has a O.D. That won’t make the hole to big, but is big enough to straighten out the oblong hole. You will need to remove the small starter tip drill of the center drill though. Are you confused yet.

Have seen them when working at the Beechcraft dealer at Oakland Pontiac airport.  Thought they were cool til I heard the price waaay back when.  Have never seen them since.  Been thinkin of making a plate, using the other 2 bolt holes on the head,  then welding a nut to fit the tap, over the screwed up hole.  Run the tap down through the nut.  Thinkkin it Should hold it straight on N maybe counter the DRIFT from the oblong??? If I can tap the hole as it is, I can pull the spacer out of the alternator pivot hole and NOT have to drill the alt case any larger.  Actually the chrome alt is off the Sunbird N I really don't wanna screw it up.  Made the 421 look sooo much better than the old spare cast alt case.  

• Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 9:41 PM, JUSTA6 said:

Have seen them when working at the Beechcraft dealer at Oakland Pontiac airport.  Thought they were cool til I heard the price waaay back when.  Have never seen them since.  Been thinkin of making a plate, using the other 2 bolt holes on the head,  then welding a nut to fit the tap, over the screwed up hole.  Run the tap down through the nut.  Thinkkin it Should hold it straight on N maybe counter the DRIFT from the oblong??? If I can tap the hole as it is, I can pull the spacer out of the alternator pivot hole and NOT have to drill the alt case any larger.  Actually the chrome alt is off the Sunbird N I really don't wanna screw it up.  Made the 421 look sooo much better than the old spare cast alt case.  

JustA, center drills are cheap. Refresh my memory, what size is the stock bolt for the alternator pivot? 3/8-16?  If so you would need a #5 center drill. The body of that #5 center drill is 7/16 or .4375! You would need to install a 73061 Keysert not a keensert, while they are the same functionally Keyserts are cheaper & will work well enough for what you need. A #73061 keysert has a outside thread of 1/2-13 & needs a 29/64, .4531 tap drill which is close enough to a #5 center drill body size of .4375. 
If you go to a machinery supply shop by you, one that sell end mills taps, lathe bits, etc, etc. they should sell both the center drill & keysert. You do not need the installation tool they use for the keysert, just a flat piece of metal will work. 
https://www.howmet.com/fastening_systems/industrial/catalog/brochures/Keysert_and_Keenserts_Catalog.pdf

05C16284-A0D0-41F7-B05F-7566C9A2B0F2.png
in the above picture, D is the portion of the center drill you need to remove, aka dried of, as you don’t need to drill any deeper into the cylinder head. 
P.S. the plate idea might work, but if you go that route you might consider this. Tap the plate for the bolt, but instead of a bolt make it a stud. Align everything as you need, than when done, if you can & since I can’t see the setup maybe you can, take it apart leaving that stud in place & weld it in place to the plate. So you would actually slide the alternator over the stud, install a washer & nut. JustA though!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I really need to get heads to the machine shop (yesterday) I have a set of heads, but have no idea where they came from. I would never strip the valves out of the head N leave it. ????:slap:  But the heads in the engine in the car will supply what I need if I can get them off.  Long story but I JB WELDED them to the block.  If I can get them off in one piece, I'm hoping they can JUSTA deck the JB weld and head gasket off.  I should be able to grind out the water passages I had to reshape to fit that motor.  If not, swap the parts, valve job N deck em....Good to go. Shop is so backed up it's been well over a month and they were Justa starting on my block last week.  If I can get them heads, they will do the work and add it to my work order instead of putting me at the back of the line again and wait for the heads.  Got the bird down to blower,  but need my neighbor's help to remove the hood. (can't take any chances of messing up my paint).  Been waiting for hours and he is not home yet.:willy_nilly:

• Like 2

Blastin through, down to the block. 1st head came off Justa fine, exhaust bolts N all.  Steering is in the way of 1 last bolt to drop the exhaust.  Figured I'd pull the head bolts, then raise the head to reach the last exhaust bolt.  Head is stripping on the last damn head bolt.  Socket slipped, went to catch myself and put JUST enough pressure on my hydraulic line to break it.  Now I have fluid leaking all over.  (My hood works by the hydraulic's, has a clear insert.)  So everybodys lookin because of the blower noise, then raise the hood N continue to your parking spot.  Went to adjust the rear view outside mirror on the GTO as I was leaving for the show yesterday and it broke off right in my hand.  Never realized how much I use that mirror.  I'm done for tonight, quit before I get real mad N do something stupid that will hurt my wallet.

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0648.JPG

image.png

DSC_0654.JPG

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Went to adjust the rear view outside mirror on the GTO as I was leaving for the show yesterday and it broke off right in my hand.  Never realized how much I use that mirror.  I'm done for tonight, quit before I get real mad N do something stupid that will hurt my wallet.

haha, mate !!!! that reminds me of when i went to press the horn ring on my 59 caddy and it snapped clean off !!.. and they are $1500 bucks to replace ! AND thats usd ! not kiwi coins !:rofl:

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

haha, mate !!!! that reminds me of when i went to press the horn ring on my 59 caddy and it snapped clean off !!.. and they are $1500 bucks to replace ! AND thats usd ! not kiwi coins !:rofl:

Thats an epic parts fail......  I wanted mirrors on both sides so I ordered one years ago.  It didn't match so I sent it back.  It wasn't tall enough.  It's hard to see with one I have but sure miss it when it's gone.  They are now double the price.:badGT:

• Haha 2

Ok, ground 6 new sides on the bolt with my dremmel tool.  Add 1 metric socket = fricken bolt is outta there.  Heads are off and in the back of my truck, cleaning up to take them to the machine shop.  Oh yea called an ol buddy that has a Pontiac warehouse of parts,  SONIC MOTORS  and he will sell me the GTO mirror for 50.00, new repops.  Problem #2 solved already today.  Gettin it done!

• Like 2

Dropped the heads to be HOT tanked N cleaned, check the valve seats/oil seals.  My bearings are there, but NOT what I asked for. Mich Clevite 77's can't be found.  King racing doesn't make em for the V6.  Builder went with another good racing brand that he recommended over Clevite brand.  Sill waiting on blower rings, with a special middle ring.  All of this is overkill, but this is the last time I build a motor for this car.  When the rings come in they can put together the rotating lower assembly and I can bring it home N start the rebuild.  Looks like I'll be buying some expensive hydraulic lines now too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now fuming mad.  :badGT:  So I called to find out about my Bird motor today and they STILL have not started on it.  I should be caught up this week and maybe start on yours. But no matter what I'll be workin on your stuff next Monday.   

This is all I need/asked for to get my block back N build it.2518079_38_full.gif.0857f19a7c655257dd003f08996f1648.gif

Captain.jpg

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

We're hearing you, JustA. It seems you can't get anyone to do anything anymore. There are massive labour shortages everywhere and it makes me wonder what is everyone doing if they're not at work? Yes, I know COVID is still making an impact but you can't keep blaming COVID every time you can't get something done.

In Australia, they are screaming for people to work. Half of this country has always been on welfare (people seem to think it's their privilege to live off the taxes of others) and the joint is getting dragged into the dust.

Ahem...anyway, be patient. You'll get to the end of your journey in good time. There's always beer...

Plenty of time for beer.....less than 3weeks to Dream Cruise.  Freakin car needs to be there.

• Sad 2

Friday, Took the wife N dog N boat N headed North to the cabin.  Upon arrival, transfer case takes a s-it.  Tow truck will NOT come back on the two track roads.  Stuck here, but at least I have my chainsaw N can get some work done N wood stacked.  Nope the primer bulb split.  After a rough start the generator I just bought worked like a champ, so we had fans and the dang TV.  Lack of Ice for the cooler and beverage cooler sucked starting Sunday.  Called The son in law and he grabbed his car haulin trailer. My daughter drove up as well to haul the boat home.  Gas money alone for 3 vehicles was crazy.  They couldn't get up there til late yesterday and hauled me home. Dropped the truck off @ shop.  They called N said, you noticed you got the last parking spot in the lot?  Might be a week before I can look at it.  Not taking any jobs til I'm caught up a bit.  Stuck at home with all this time I could be working on the Bird.  

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Gees mate ! You have had it ruff 

You do need beer :cheers:

RUMMMM.  Captains....raise a leg.  Take a pull of Captain, chase it with a pull of Buttershot. (schnapps) OMG Happy tastebuds

image.thumb.png.8c0329177e7fd1442c7eb54947a1f657.png

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1