Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

4 bucket 67's 1967 GTO

2022 August
of the Month

  • Welcome!

    Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Ol bird gets a new heart


Recommended Posts

So waaay back in 96, I was building the spare motor for the Sunbird, (this one was on the stand)  putting all my performance parts into one 231 V6 and to run my 4:71 blower.  Motor in the car was using factory turbo parts that would hold up to the Blower boost.  My son's buddy opened his engine shop and offered to use his business discounts for the engine gasket kits, bearings, timing chain/gears, mounting my new forged slugs on my 252 turbo rods, 252 turbo crank and Mich Clevite bearing only go in this beast.  And he offered to degree the Kenne Bell cam and new hyd lifters. BIG discount on the work and parts if I advertized his business on my signage at shows...No Prob!   I wrote in the middle of the work order Mich engine bearings ONLY.   

So I pick it up.....Engine gasket set is half there, (like he used 1/2 on another customer) He put TRW bearings in the damn thing, did not coat it and everything from cyls to the exposed parts of the crank were rusted.  Even the box of lifters were all open. Charged me more than the shop my son was working at.  Worst was I had no plans to let anyone touch my motor!

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

hmmm so i feel you have some work ahead of you JustA !!!

hay we love pictures!!!! you speak of this engine...... wheres the pics???:rofl:

Sorry the saga continues.  Wasn't able to continue with the story last night.  Your not gonna believe what I found while tearing the motor down last night.  Busy til this afternoon and will update then.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

continued....  So I finished assembly of the motor, painted and dropped er in the car as I'm now Justa hours away from our car clubs last show. 10 year run with Radical Rides.  Over 45 shows produced, waaay to many cruise nights put on for many different businesses.  Slightly over $118,000.00 raised for charity's.  Blew up the motor leaving our last club meeting. Blocked the road to let each one of us out for a LIL display of power.  Came home and pulled that junk and installed the new one.

So I fire it up, idles like a champ, set the distributor and clamp er down.  Went to pull the car out to the driveway and get a knock about 1500 rpm.  Back off and it's fine.  Rev it...knocks.  I'm angry.... thinkin it's maybe the cam bearings (not only being wrong brand that are proven to fail) installed without aligning the oil passage.  Shut it off and push it inside. It did clunk and dead stop. This block with all my power goodies has sat on a stand since July of 96.

At work the next day a buddy said he had a turbo motor he would sell me.  Was there that night to pick it up, we stripped all the turbo stuff, intake, exhaust, ect. This was a Friday night.  I spent that whole night cleaning, painting and dropped the block in the car.  Now my blower intake will NOT fit this engine...WTF?  I have a 79 N up even fire.  Heads have the wrong angle to the ports.  In desperation, I pulled the heads off the new knocking motor on the stand.  Water jackets will not line up, Head gaskets have the oil return blocked off.  Here is where I became the biggest fan of JB WELD.   Blocked the water jacket with JB and then reground to match the NEW heads.  Cut down the head gasket a bit for the oil return, then JB'ed tha passage and reground to what I needed. As a last desperate act.....yep I JB'ed the whole dam head gasket to the engine and the heads.  In the end, worked my ass off N my Sunbird did not make the last show and completely broke my heart.

Now got the JUNK motor to fire, scared shitless to jump on it at all, but after driving for a bit.  No heat issues,  wouldn't think of a burnout, BUT  sure still likes to light up 2nd and 3rd on the shifts.  Guys N gals  this motor lasted til Dream Cruise 2018  and it's demise came after a burnout (I knew better...BUT)  burned out a piston and the blowby smoke was terrible on the way home, esp when I had to stop for lights.  But cha know the Ol girl got me home and will still fire up now

Is this a progressive post?  or a cheap novel??

So the GTO has INS until the 1st of June so I can still get some seat time.  But any $$$ goes into the Bird to get er back on the road.  Had to move a bunch of stuff to dig out the ol broken motor with all my good parts, drag it over to a point where I could lift er up and get it on a stand.

DSC_0240.thumb.JPG.8085e70821721954abd251eea5a9794b.JPG 

Pulled the junk heads N intake I used to protect my cyls only to realize they did not seal.  You can see the rust in the CYL.  SO I took PB BLASTER penetrating oil, hosed it down and then used 1500 colorsand With a LIL work, rust is coming off no problems and a quick hone when I get the slugs out will finish the restore. 

So yesterday, I drained the oil, dropped the pan, Pulled the harmonic balancer  Pulled the water pump, timing cover and WTF????  Never seen this before.

DSC_0242.thumb.JPG.f01544de4f04361eefaa3001c016f973.JPG

Snapped the brand new crank gear in HALF.   Good thing I never tried to start that thang again. Would have destroyed my new FORGED pistons.  Hoping the Kenne Bell custom cam is still OK, Kenne Bell is long gone but not forgotten and I still have to find the knock.    Ok  progression thread up to date.   OK really??  Like you had something else better to do than read this???  :pop_corn:

 

DSC_0239.JPG

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn Justa, I sincerely feel for ya bro. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So there are now only 4 engine shops anywhere near me.  All are swamped.  Was hoping to get my blocked tanked, cyl honed and clean all threaded holes with a tap before repainting and assembling my block.  NOBODY is even accepting new work.  One old friend will be on vacation for the 1st two weeks of June.  Said to be one of the 1st to contact him when he gets back.  At this pace, I might not have the car running for Woodward.  Want your numbers matching engine rebuilt???? Your on a 1 year waiting list.  On the plus side, they JUSTA graded my roads and finally put down cloride to keep the dust down.  Rained today and suppose to rain all day tomorrow.  Guess the GTO gets a reprieve and goes back on the road.  

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Finally..... Dropped my block off 1st thing this AM when they opened for a hot tank, kiss the cyls with da hone and all new CORRECT bearings.  Ordered the whole engine gasket set and Blower rated head gaskets, and new timing chain N gear set.  Shop said they can have all parts in a couple days.  We will see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well? We're waiting.....rather impatiently I might add!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Founders
36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Well? We're waiting.....rather impatiently I might add!

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

AND as the enthusiasm builds! :pop_corn:!

& I’m still workin my ass of on the honeydew list! Just starting to see a little glint of light! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

AND as the enthusiasm builds! :pop_corn:!

& I’m still workin my ass of on the honeydew list! Just starting to see a little glint of light! 

You know you'll never get caught up right?   GTO is still down, worried I will have to go too big with the bolt so buy the time I have to tap the alternator, the pivot will be too thin.  Have not heard a word about my motor for the Sunbird.  Right now I'm struggling to get someone out here to get my well working.  Have been out of water since Saturday evening.   I was able to get the boat fired up for the 1st time this year.  Hope to take that to the cabin for the 4th July weekend.  Hell might be staying home if I can't get the water problem solved.   Have contacted 4 company's  and have seen nobody here yet.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

You know you'll never get caught up right?   GTO is still down, worried I will have to go too big with the bolt so buy the time I have to tap the alternator, the pivot will be too thin.  Have not heard a word about my motor for the Sunbird.  Right now I'm struggling to get someone out here to get my well working.  Have been out of water since Saturday evening.   I was able to get the boat fired up for the 1st time this year.  Hope to take that to the cabin for the 4th July weekend.  Hell might be staying home if I can't get the water problem solved.   Have contacted 4 company's  and have seen nobody here yet.

Yup! I know! Part of that list belongs to the daughter & some is mine! Trying to get shit done before I’m to old & slow to do it.

I been MIA, so I’m not up on everything, what’s up with the GTO? & what’s the issue with the well? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Yup! I know! Part of that list belongs to the daughter & some is mine! Trying to get shit done before I’m to old & slow to do it.

I been MIA, so I’m not up on everything, what’s up with the GTO? & what’s the issue with the well? 

Well gave up Saturday evening.  Finally got a guy out today, New pump,  123 ft down, new pipe, new wiring, new pressure switch/gauge on the pressure tank.  Back flushed the well with his huge air compressor.  His boom was 35 ft tall.  Just left,  I need a freakin shower!!!  Have to run each faucet through the house 1st.  

Pulling the GTO out for the 1st show of the year.  Started clankin N bangin...WTF?  Popped the hood N the alternator is in a speed wobble like no other.  The pivot bolt snapped off in the head.  Drilled N spent hours cleaning out the hole, destroyed every drill bit I own.  Broke easy out's.  finally tapped at normal size N too wobbly. Oblong hole.  Have to drill out further. Now worried as I'll have to drill the pivot hole in the alternator as well. Make the casting too thin and we are back to square 1.  JUSTA glad it didn't let go while I was up to speed driving it.

DSC_0496 (1).JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Well gave up Saturday evening.  Finally got a guy out today, New pump,  123 ft down, new pipe, new wiring, new pressure switch/gauge on the pressure tank.  Back flushed the well with his huge air compressor.  His boom was 35 ft tall.  Just left,  I need a freakin shower!!!  Have to run each faucet through the house 1st.  

Pulling the GTO out for the 1st show of the year.  Started clankin N bangin...WTF?  Popped the hood N the alternator is in a speed wobble like no other.  The pivot bolt snapped off in the head.  Drilled N spent hours cleaning out the hole, destroyed every drill bit I own.  Broke easy out's.  finally tapped at normal size N too wobbly. Oblong hole.  Have to drill out further. Now worried as I'll have to drill the pivot hole in the alternator as well. Make the casting too thin and we are back to square 1.  JUSTA glad it didn't let go while I was up to speed driving it.

DSC_0496 (1).JPG

justA have you thought of using a helicoil ? 

i am pleased to see you got that pump sorted, far to expensive to get me over to fix it for you !!!:rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

justA have you thought of using a helicoil ? 

i am pleased to see you got that pump sorted, far to expensive to get me over to fix it for you !!!:rofl:

Can't imagine how long it would take you to get your equipment here and then back home.  Why JUSTA here to there seems like a forever.........:pop_corn:  Have never used a Heli coil.  Can't imagine what kind of pressure it took to break that bolt.  Would a coil be enough to hold it?  

Edited by JUSTA6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also wonder how you managed to break that alternator bolt - they are sizeable. I'm going to assume the other bolt(s) that locate the alternator are good & tight. Also, I have never used a helicoil but it might be your only option. What a predicament.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I also wonder how you managed to break that alternator bolt - they are sizeable. I'm going to assume the other bolt(s) that locate the alternator are good & tight. Also, I have never used a helicoil but it might be your only option. What a predicament.

The other bolt is on the top adjuster/slide bar.  I might have to move the alt to the other side as I can only use the top bolt hole on the head.  Found a long slide bar/adjuster at the Dustoff swap meet N grabbed it in case I have to make a set up for the other side.  Would NOT look good to have the alt on the passenger side of the engine, BUT would get the car on the road again....tell em Willie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Well gave up Saturday evening.  Finally got a guy out today, New pump,  123 ft down, new pipe, new wiring, new pressure switch/gauge on the pressure tank.  Back flushed the well with his huge air compressor.  His boom was 35 ft tall.  Just left,  I need a freakin shower!!!  Have to run each faucet through the house 1st.  

Pulling the GTO out for the 1st show of the year.  Started clankin N bangin...WTF?  Popped the hood N the alternator is in a speed wobble like no other.  The pivot bolt snapped off in the head.  Drilled N spent hours cleaning out the hole, destroyed every drill bit I own.  Broke easy out's.  finally tapped at normal size N too wobbly. Oblong hole.  Have to drill out further. Now worried as I'll have to drill the pivot hole in the alternator as well. Make the casting too thin and we are back to square 1.  JUSTA glad it didn't let go while I was up to speed driving it.

DSC_0496 (1).JPG

LOVE the FLAG! I know what a pain a well can be & I only have one to water my lawn.

Ok, it’s the bottom pivot bolt that treads into the cylinder head, right? If so look at keensert. They will work better than a helicoil for your issue. Do you now have the broken bolt out of the head now. Let me know if this is right. If it is I’ll explain further.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.