Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

what are you guys using to Secure these to the inner fender?

i have seen guys use nuts and bolts with body washers Andy

i am not a big fan of these , am not sticking the ones on the 64 

I justA won’t drive her in the rain :rofl:

Someone suggested using stainless like safety wire and bend them so they look like the stock staples, the holes are already there so I might try that. I think bolts is a no. To big and bulky. And apparently the rubber pieces i have aren't the right ones for the car either I've found out but for a Camaro, they came with the car.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Andy, please explain the calibration machine you had the dissy on mate ?

The reason for setting it up in the tester is to verify the advance curve or modify it if needed it's all about pinging  ( not pinging) so by slowing down the curve and making it come in later it helps, as it turned out the chart and instructions that came with the distributor was spot on so we just essentially verified this. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got the engine started, ran it for about half an hour, ran a bit on the warm Side but ok.

Got a new fan clutch, changed the oil and fixed a small coolant leak at the thermostat housing, started it up but had this slight ticking noise so i thought maybe the rockers was hitting my early style valve covers but that was not the case turned out that two cam lobes  got damaged during break in 🤬🤬🙄🤯😬 so now what?

Talked to comp cams and the first thing he asked was what oil did you use? And apparently Valvoline VR1 that i used was not popular with them, this oil thing is like a big magic secret it doesn't matter who you ask you get a different answer.

Bought the cam from summit and they warrantied it no questions asked so now I just got to get all the gaskets and other stuff and try again.

IMG_20221024_111459837.jpg

IMG_20221024_095231085.jpg

IMG_20221022_172317655.jpg

• Sad 3

22 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Kind of odd how it was only 2 lifters !

like the metal could be at blame ?
if it was the oil you used . It’s would be every lobe aye ! 

I know,yes that's just it how do you know what the problem is? Thought i did everything right primed the oil and gas, it started almost right away had good oil pressure and kept the rpm up for 30 min.

I'm having a buddy check the valve springs to see what the pressure is ( they are regular stock) should not be to much, i emailed comp cams and got the specs what they want it to be with this cam so we'll see what they are.

I might remove the inner spring during break in of the cam the next time and maybe use break-in oil instead, according to comp cams to much detergent in the oil is not good during break in.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hey Andy, what did you torque your rocker arms down to? It probably has nothing to do with anything but when I put my engine together the tech at comp told me that since I was going pretty close to stock to torque the rockers to factory specs. HE told he that Pontiacs had no valve lash and to tighten then to 20lb. He was way wrong bro. Some of the guys may remember this from my post. I started up for break in and heard a ticking sound. When I opened her up I found 2 broken lifters. I figured it was something I had done. I put her back together with new lifters and torqued back to 20lb. This time on start up I broke all but 2 of the valves the engine. Pissed I called comp to ask for their suggestions and was told that I had gotten bad info from a "new" tech. The valves should have been set at 0 lash plus 1/2 a turn. Not sure if any of this helps or not bud, but good luck and keep us posted bro.

Broken lifter.jpg

broken valves.jpg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

Hey Andy, what did you torque your rocker arms down to? It probably has nothing to do with anything but when I put my engine together the tech at comp told me that since I was going pretty close to stock to torque the rockers to factory specs. HE told he that Pontiacs had no valve lash and to tighten then to 20lb. He was way wrong bro. Some of the guys may remember this from my post. I started up for break in and heard a ticking sound. When I opened her up I found 2 broken lifters. I figured it was something I had done. I put her back together with new lifters and torqued back to 20lb. This time on start up I broke all but 2 of the valves the engine. Pissed I called comp to ask for their suggestions and was told that I had gotten bad info from a "new" tech. The valves should have been set at 0 lash plus 1/2 a turn. Not sure if any of this helps or not bud, but good luck and keep us posted bro.

Broken lifter.jpg

broken valves.jpg

wow that suck, its typical you have to double check everything never take anything for granted.

The 20lbs must reefer to the stock none adjustable valve train i assume? but when it is adjustable 1/2" to 1 turn past zero lash is usually normal and since mine is now adjustable with poly lock nuts that is what i did.

Our resident oil expert is Last Indian i believe? would really like to hear his take on this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

very good artical mate!

From that there is 2 things, valve spring pressure and wrong oil for breakin.

• Like 2

I don't know if this will help or not, but when I started my rebuilt engine it was 'clacky.' I figured that even though I had soaked all the lifters prior to their fitment they still might need time to pump up. I sat there and did the 2000rpm thing for 30 mins or so, then dumped the oil. I rechecked all rocker arm torques and they were all correct. I snugged them down an extra 5 ft lb (from memory, they should be 25 - 30?) and it still sounded clacky, but not as much. Anyway, as time passed they settled down and there's now just the lightest ticking sound - not enough to worry about. My point is that my stock lifters appeared to have needed some time to pump up fully for whatever reason. As far as oil went, I just used regular mineral oil from an auto parts supplier.

It would seem that not all aftermarket parts are reliably made - it's almost a given that you'll get some duds, especially in a pack of 16 lifters. As an example, one of the Ames supplied AC Delco spark plugs I bought as part of a kit - the insulator cracked on the spot whilst I gently handled it. Aftermarket fuel pumps are also apparently notoriously fickle when it comes to quality control. Good luck.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got all the parts and started to put it back together but first i decided to replace the freeze plugs in the end of the heads, had one leak right away first time I started it, don't know why i don't think about that when the heads where off since i did the other ones.

The one in the back on the driver's side was interesting to get out it took a couple of nights but i got it 

IMG_20221130_190714302.jpg

IMG_20221130_190333426.jpg

IMG_20221213_191245592.jpg

• Like 2