Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 1 month later...

Still working on wiring and trying to make everything work,had to take the ignition lock apart and clean the contacts, I also cleaned the heater fan switch since it came apart by itself when I took the connector off so we will see if it works haven't tested it yet.

Decided that it would be a good idea to install a new condenser before I put the rest of the front end stuff on so I got a kit from Vintage Air also bought a bracket and newer style compressor at the same time.

They have a newer style ac hoses that are a bit more slim so i think i will se if i can get those to work, there is a local place here that should have those, the idea is also to install a STV valve update kit also to make it a cycling system, going to be interesting to see how this work with the stock evaporator and inside stuff.

Got some gauges, some odd brand that I never heard about before but they where pretty reasonable.

I wanted gauges that looked like these but most of them have a red needle and thought this looked more period correct.

Also some gauges hs there range "off" like the temp having 240f straight up and the voltage should have 12-14v straight up so we'll have to see how they work.

IMG_20230827_114421095.jpg

IMG_20230814_183232625.jpg

IMG_20230827_114358080.jpg

IMG_20230814_183348395.jpg

IMG_20230805_141705134.jpg

IMG_20230905_192137786.jpg

16939681376604491672178908968326.jpg

• Like 1

nice work andy!!!:cheers:

it is crazy how they used to put so much current  load through the ignition switch aye !! no wonder why the contacts burnt ! 

i do like how you have tucked the relys behind the battery tray 👍

thats a great hiding place for them, i should do the same on the bonni :dancingpontiac:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

nice work andy!!!:cheers:

it is crazy how they used to put so much current  load through the ignition switch aye !! no wonder why the contacts burnt ! 

i do like how you have tucked the relys behind the battery tray 👍

thats a great hiding place for them, i should do the same on the bonni :dancingpontiac:

Yes I know , relays wasn't used much back then, I got one more for ignition ( coil, choke and p/s pump) tucked up under the fender next to the brake master.

Did you see the big master relay connected to the battery cable? That's a bistable relay so it has dual coils and stays in the last position that you put it with out applying any power to the coils.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the A/C hoses mocked up now just have to mark them and take them back to get crimped. Now the hose with regular clamps only is gone.

Getting two belts today to see which one will fit.

Still need to get the STV valve delete kit,after that I can charge it up.

IMG_20230922_095204086_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230922_095153561_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230922_095216267_HDR.jpg

Edited by Andy H
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok, time to get back and write an update.

The A/C thing turned in to quite a project.

First found a belt-that worked good ( thank you Amazon for Free returns) but then it was too close to the radiator hose so I had to go down to the local Napa store  and was able to find one that was curved differently and with with my universal/ adjustable thermostat housing that I had to rotate more to the straight forward position I got that to work but that put the hose to close to the cooling fan blade🙄 so I found this spacer at the auto parts store that o really didn't like but iy kind of worked.

Decided I didn't like the fan spacer so I bribed the machine shop guy at work with some pastries so he made a nicer one but I had to drill the bolt holes which worked out ok.

IMG_20231118_133008749_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231003_184339569.jpg

IMG_20231010_185915226.jpg

IMG_20231125_153510319.jpg

IMG_20231001_140209982.jpg

IMG_20231001_135128624_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work Andy ! as we know if you can keep those blades nice and close to the circumrance of shroud you will get maximuim pull power from the fan :cheers:, reducing the air that flicks off the end of each blade ! 

And i am a big fan :rofl: of a factory blade with its nice rounded edges, which make less noise !

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 9:23 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Nice work Andy ! as we know if you can keep those blades nice and close to the circumrance of shroud you will get maximuim pull power from the fan :cheers:, reducing the air that flicks off the end of each blade ! 

And i am a big fan :rofl: of a factory blade with its nice rounded edges, which make less noise !

I know and it's so funny you see these discussions about electric fans be or not to be but if you do the math an electric can never move as much air.

And the blades half way in to the shroud if possible.

7 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I like this pic. If I had that gauge at my place, the needle would always point to Retard - to remind me of how I'm going with car resoration.

Screenshot_20240124_172906_Chrome.jpg

Yeah you know I think we all get that feeling sometimes when we don't make much progress or it doesn't move as fast as we think it should sometimes life gets in the way in one way or the other.

Just keep picking away at it I guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andy H said:

eah you know I think we all get that feeling sometimes when we don't make much progress or it doesn't move as fast as we think it should sometimes life gets in the way in one way or the other.

Just keep picking away at it I guess

I  am hearing ya Andy :cheers:

i  am hanging out big time to get back into my Pontiac , but other crap keeps getting in the way !! Like this weekend ! Another bloody funeral to go to !!!! Mates kid died suddenly! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I  am hearing ya Andy :cheers:

i  am hanging out big time to get back into my Pontiac , but other crap keeps getting in the way !! Like this weekend ! Another bloody funeral to go to !!!! Mates kid died suddenly! 

That shit will bring you down for sure 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Installing gauges today, last electrical for now then on to the front end of the car.

I'll get back to the Inside later, plenty little stuff left before I can drive the car.

IMG_20240128_120954348_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Got the gauges hooked up except for the light, I'll get to that later.

I have installed a Deutch 4 pin busbar connector on the ACC wire from the ignition switch before and had two empty slots so I figured I could use one for the power to the gauges to make it easier so I wouldn't have to run one more wire out to the engine bay.

We'll didn't exactly go as I had hoped, turns out the voltage from there had a drop of almost one volt, comparing to alternator/ battery, doesn't matter so much for the other stuff that's connected to this but a volt meter won't show the correct voltage.

So when cold it's charging about 14.5v but the gauge reads about a volt less, have to figure out room going to leave it or what.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

Got the gauges hooked up except for the light, I'll get to that later.

I have installed a Deutch 4 pin busbar connector on the ACC wire from the ignition switch before and had two empty slots so I figured I could use one for the power to the gauges to make it easier so I wouldn't have to run one more wire out to the engine bay.

We'll didn't exactly go as I had hoped, turns out the voltage from there had a drop of almost one volt, comparing to alternator/ battery, doesn't matter so much for the other stuff that's connected to this but a volt meter won't show the correct voltage.

So when cold it's charging about 14.5v but the gauge reads about a volt less, have to figure out room going to leave it or what.

Sounds like your ignition switch has a dirty contact/tab conection  to the acc mate, but that also means possible 1 volt drop to other circuts off thats ignition too !

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Sounds like your ignition switch has a dirty contact/tab conection  to the acc mate, but that also means possible 1 volt drop to other circuts off thats ignition too !

Yes but I have had the switch appart and cleaned the contacts, if i disconnect the loads from the terminal on the switch i have full voltage.

The power has to come through the firewall stock bulkhead connector also so the best would be to rewire the whole car but that's not happening right now but I think I have a solution it's called a relay 😄 I like relay's.

I have a wire that I ran almost directly from the battery for future modern radio power in to the car so I figured I Will use this one and a relay and control it with the power from the ACC circuit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been raining quite a bit, some places apparently got more than 10" of rain so have not gotten much done.

Attended the Grand national roadster show last weekend in Pomona,got lucky that day with no rain.

Gott a little time to install my relay for the voltmeter today and also started on the inside of the hood.

IMG_20240211_154433966_HDR.jpg

Edited by Andy H
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Andy H said:

It's been raining quite a bit, some places apparently got more than 10" of rain so have not gotten much done.

Attended the Grand national roadster show last weekend in Pomona,got lucky that day with no rain.

Gott a little time to install my relay for the voltmeter today and also started on the inside of the hood.

IMG_20240211_154433966_HDR.jpg

fun job !!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

fun job !!! 

Not bad, since i soaked it in citric acid for a week before but some spots didn't get submerged so I got to work on those a bit.

Was thinking of getting some Eastwood rust converter and spray that on first when I'm done sanding like I did on the frame and after that some self etching primer before I paint with Por 15.

• Like 2