Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

My gut feeling is try it ! but expect that when the alternator is under heavy load it will slip and squeal, that power steer pump has a good near 180 degrees of belt contact, justA not the alternator,it has like 10-15 degrees of contact.......🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

27 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Just got home in the dark !

but here is how my 389 is belted 

7EC9B2F1-F14C-4089-8733-31F679B474D0.jpeg

C8F94D7A-80B0-4271-81E4-AE71A079D586.jpeg

47974514-707C-4DA4-9988-04EE76D797AF.jpeg

C6DA4FE9-31DB-42FB-95D3-31D49882C45C.jpeg

7457D149-FA90-4840-A7E0-8022A7A1CD50.jpeg

That's a lot better than mine, i know there was supposedly a different set up then mine on the earlier cars and A/C cars are different than none A/C cars.

I have seen several cars that are like mine so it is the way it came from the factory.

If you look in the one diagram without A/C it uses two belts but in parallel not like yours.

If yours had A/C you would have to have a crank pulley with three groves also and mine only has two.

I'm going to run it the way it is and we'll have to see how it goes. If need be I'll get rid of the p/s pump and install a electric pump instead 😋

• Like 1

Kiwi, what am I looking at here? Why is your fan's viscous coupling sticking out front like that, or am I seeing it wrong?

20220519_165529.jpg

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Kiwi, what am I looking at here? Why is your fan's viscous coupling sticking out front like that, or am I seeing it wrong?

20220519_165529.jpg

yes mate thats right, this is a camaro one and i am yet to build my shroud !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done lately, had a college graduation and retrieval of a kid get in the way and another kid graduate from highschool in a week.

Got the air cleaner painted, trying to figure out some other loose ends, upper radiator hose seems to be a issue, ordered a new one from Ames and it's totally different then the one that came with the car I've had no luck when searching online, got an email in to Ames and next step might just be to bring my old hose to the auto parts store.

Started resealing the trans, are slowly getting closer to installing engine and trans in the car.

Some other loose ends i have been looking at is the bracket for the throttle and kick down cable, my old bracket don't work on the Edelbrock intake so i have to modify it or add to it.

Looking at plugg wires and i was thinking a boot with 45 degree would work good on the plugg side but not a lot available.s straight Will have to do if nothing comes up.

Found a crossover part number for my crank case filter, apparently this is a California car only item on this year model.

IMG_20220530_142825169.jpg

IMG_20220530_143056016.jpg

IMG_20220530_143027479.jpg

IMG_20220527_210234867.jpg

IMG_20220527_205135350.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got time to drag the 32 out of the garage and all the stuff that was in the way so i could push the Lemans in and install the engine.

Had read that's the th350 is supposed to be a direct replacement for the st300 but you know how that goes, can't believe everything you read but as it turned out it worked great.

Also of course had to put the wheels back on after i painted them and i like how they turned out..

Was going to start hooking up the shifter and p brake but couldn't find the S hook for the brake and of course the shifter rods and linkage needs to be taken apart because they look like crap, something to do with 60 yr old car that's been sitting forever.

IMG_20220702_123107679.jpg

IMG_20220702_102537453_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

wow!!! looking good Andy:cheers:

i am guessing your starter motor bolts up the the block for you to be able to be using a bop turbo 350 ?

i do like your wheels !!👍

and i see you have wayyy more room on the drives side with the steering box out front of the motor unlike mine tucked in behind the a arm!!🙄

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

wow!!! looking good Andy:cheers:

i am guessing your starter motor bolts up the the block for you to be able to be using a bop turbo 350 ?

i do like your wheels !!👍

and i see you have wayyy more room on the drives side with the steering box out front of the motor unlike mine tucked in behind the a arm!!🙄

Yes the starter bolts to the block, this block is a early 70s block but even my stock 64 was the same way so no problem.

Way more room Is a relative term😁 you probably have NO room and i have very little, still tight that's why I don't want to run header's. Is going to be tight between the header pipe at the manifold and the starter motor cable since the stud is on the outside of the starter ( mini starter) have to make that piece anyway so I'll have to kick it out a bit and put some insulation on the cable.

Exhaust system should be here next week. Muffler's arriving today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy H said:

Yes the starter bolts to the block, this block is a early 70s block but even my stock 64 was the same way so no problem.

Way more room Is a relative term😁 you probably have NO room and i have very little, still tight that's why I don't want to run header's. Is going to be tight between the header pipe at the manifold and the starter motor cable since the stud is on the outside of the starter ( mini starter) have to make that piece anyway so I'll have to kick it out a bit and put some insulation on the cable.

Exhaust system should be here next week. Muffler's arriving today

yes i noted my 64 block has the bolt holes for the starter too ! 

look forward to pics of the exhaust system :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

I like how you planned for the engine install by having the front clip out of the way - I wish I'd done that. 

Lookin' good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I like how you planned for the engine install by having the front clip out of the way - I wish I'd done that. 

Lookin' good.

Yes it just made sense since it was already off, just going to paint the core support so i can install the radiator and then start it and brake in the cam, but still quite a bit to do before i get there.

• Like 1

Muffler's came today  the rest is supposed to be here next week.

16568999290658913826913421491487.jpg

Flowmaster 17107.jpg

Edited by Andy H
  • Like 1

Trip to my exhaust supply guy, a lot cheaper than ordering from one of the big warehouses.

Exhaust system on its way but have to make pipes to tie in to the manifolds, he made the flares out of 1 1/4" pipe since 2" was to big to attach to manifolds so after I'm done mocking up he will swage down the 2" pipe so that the 2 1/4" fits snug inside before welding.

Found walker exhaust flanges on Amazon so we will see how that works out.

IMG_20220707_112428095.jpg

• Like 2

Fitment of exhaust system has begun, this is going to take a while have to do quite a few "adjustments" and I'm working on the driveway and summer is starting to hit and my driveway is not a good place in the afternoon.

IMG_20220710_104147317_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy H said:

Fitment of exhaust system has begun, this is going to take a while have to do quite a few "adjustments" and I'm working on the driveway and summer is starting to hit and my driveway is not a good place in the afternoon.

IMG_20220710_104147317_HDR.jpg

spf 50 on your legs Andy ! :rofl:

oh and on your arms!! too, i found myself burnt after a day of using the mig welder tacking tube without protection ! 

I see the hard work is done too!!! the up over the diff section !!!👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

spf 50 on your legs Andy ! :rofl:

oh and on your arms!! too, i found myself burnt after a day of using the mig welder tacking tube without protection ! 

I see the hard work is done too!!! the up over the diff section !!!👍

Yes that's why I bought a kit😁 seems to fit pretty good but needs some tweeks.

Yes it's ok as long as I stay under the car but I'm sure you know how that works 50 trips back and forth.🌞🥵

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...