Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

7 hours ago, Brentco said:

Ha, definitely not more efficient. You’re (smartly) doing most everything, engine, suspension, brakes, etc, at once while it’s completely torn down. I’ve had 17 years with the car to muddle through everything else, so mine was just a straight engine build (and painting the engine compartment, which was actually a lot of work). 

I keep forgetting about the donut meet up — need to make it over there. 

A glamour shot before dropping her in, and one more final installed. 

73066700-F696-4081-8923-8BDB40EBED6A.jpeg

6F4D6C1F-1F6B-415C-848E-34BC708FF5FA.jpeg

Nice pic's. Good job!  Keep us up on what your doing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brentco said:

Ha, definitely not more efficient. You’re (smartly) doing most everything, engine, suspension, brakes, etc, at once while it’s completely torn down. I’ve had 17 years with the car to muddle through everything else, so mine was just a straight engine build (and painting the engine compartment, which was actually a lot of work). 

I keep forgetting about the donut meet up — need to make it over there. 

A glamour shot before dropping her in, and one more final installed. 

73066700-F696-4081-8923-8BDB40EBED6A.jpeg

6F4D6C1F-1F6B-415C-848E-34BC708FF5FA.jpeg

That looks great, you need to bring it down to HB and show it off 😃 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Andy H said:

Ok this is how it's going to be.

IMG_20220425_180758504.jpg

IMG_20220425_180901214_HDR.jpg

That looks nice and clean. The Edelbrock’s big pcv port on the front allows a good direct route. I have vacuum port envy.

Do you have the little breather doohickey that mounts in the air cleaner and holds a filter element for the valve cover vent tube?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Brentco said:

That looks nice and clean. The Edelbrock’s big pcv port on the front allows a good direct route. I have vacuum port envy.

Do you have the little breather doohickey that mounts in the air cleaner and holds a filter element for the valve cover vent tube?

Yes the fitting you see sticking out of the air cleaner is actually part of that filter holder on the inside.

• Like 2

Bueno — my car didn’t have any of the vent hose set up when I originally got it so I didn’t even know it was supposed to. 

• Like 1

Ok so here's another one, how are the top rods for the alternator be installed, sounds easy right? But they don't line up or they will bind if i force them, both on the back or front or one on each side?

That is not the alternator I'm going to use but is the one that came with the car but it was not installed.

IMG_20220427_191100869.jpg

IMG_20220427_191111702.jpg

• Like 2

Ok Andy, sorry these pics aren't the best but there all I have. If you want I will get you more in the morning. But the brace's run together and both connect on the back side. Let me know if you need better pics bro.

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Ok Andy, sorry these pics aren't the best but there all I have. If you want I will get you more in the morning. But the brace's run together and both connect on the back side. Let me know if you need better pics bro.

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG

Perfect, that's all I need, looks like i need to adjust the forward rod a bit in the wise.

Thanks

• Like 2

Oh yeah, that's a better picture Kiwi! :lol: I've got a tarp tied over my car right now or I would've walked out and took a better one.

Just now, Wrongway said:

Oh yeah, that's a better picture Kiwi! :lol: I've got a tarp tied over my car right now or I would've walked out and took a better one.

ah it was on my phone mate ! i had been talking with oldguy44 ( Dwight, about mounts) i have the cover over the 64 too! its bloody cold here today !!!

• Like 1

Put the starter back together after replacing the brushes and painting it, hooked it up to a battery with jumper cables hoping it would be ok to use at least for now the gear comes out everytime but the motor doesn't always want to turn, hooked up the voltmeter and it seems the solenoid is iffy, so should I spend some more money on this one or just bite the bullet and buy a new one? They are a bit pricey.

IMG_20220427_194039109.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Put the starter back together after replacing the brushes and painting it, hooked it up to a battery with jumper cables hoping it would be ok to use at least for now the gear comes out everytime but the motor doesn't always want to turn, hooked up the voltmeter and it seems the solenoid is iffy, so should I spend some more money on this one or just bite the bullet and buy a new one? They are a bit pricey.

IMG_20220427_194039109.jpg

andy ! its a gm solenoid!! 

that top connection , loosen it off push the bolt in and turn it 180 degrees and pull it out and tighten the nut ! 

if that doesn't work pull the black cap and clean both the top and bottom contacts the winding's are not getting full power through the solenoid. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

andy ! its a gm solenoid!! 

that top connection , loosen it off push the bolt in and turn it 180 degrees and pull it out and tighten the nut ! 

if that doesn't work pull the black cap and clean both the top and bottom contacts the winding's are not getting full power through the solenoid. 

Will do, yes you are right the winding didn't get any voltage, checked it with the meter, did not know that you could take the solenoid apart that make sense, tank you 😀

• Like 2

Pulled the cap of the starter solenoid and the contacts looked pretty bad so i cleaned them and started to put it back together and the wires broke for the S terminal stud, i don't think that is repairable so I'm going to declare it dead.

The guy that gave me the 350 engine core has been talking about possibly having a almost new starter so i will pick it up on Tuesday to see if it fits.

IMG_20220430_144605010.jpg

IMG_20220430_145854447.jpg

Starting to figure out what to do for a exhaust system, all the kits are pretty expensive.

I think the plan is to get the tail pipes and the brackets, buy mufflers and make the front half.

I have two mufflers in mind both Dynomax Turbo mufflers, one is 14" long and the other is 20" long, will the 20" muffler fit under my car?

5 hours ago, Andy H said:

Pulled the cap of the starter solenoid and the contacts looked pretty bad so i cleaned them and started to put it back together and the wires broke for the S terminal stud, i don't think that is repairable so I'm going to declare it dead.

The guy that gave me the 350 engine core has been talking about possibly having a almost new starter so i will pick it up on Tuesday to see if it fits.

IMG_20220430_144605010.jpg

IMG_20220430_145854447.jpg

Starting to figure out what to do for a exhaust system, all the kits are pretty expensive.

I think the plan is to get the tail pipes and the brackets, buy mufflers and make the front half.

I have two mufflers in mind both Dynomax Turbo mufflers, one is 14" long and the other is 20" long, will the 20" muffler fit under my car?

yip that solenoid is toast mate !!:cheers:

Not sure about if a 20 inch muffler will fit under your car mate, i went with flowmaster 50 ( i wanted 44 but could not get them! thanks covid) and i think they are about 14 inches long.... (same thing, its dark/cold out side and i am having a beer so i cant take pictures):rofl:

But even with the flowmaster 50 she is super quiet, if you use a bigger muffler your gona need a hearing aid to hear the v8 rumble !!!:rofl:

Remember if you do a h pipe or x pipe it will quieten down the pulses too !! i went x pipe. as a plumber i like flow!!😜

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Picked up a starter from a buddy that had one leftover.

I also found a exhaust kit at Summit racing from Thrush that is reasonable priced, it's complete all the way up to where header's would be so all i have to do is make some header pipes, it comes with 14" muffler's so i will have to think about that one for a bit.

IMG_20220503_195623544.jpg