Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

21 hours ago, Andy H said:

I believe this is on a really nice 62 GP. 4 SPD and bucket seats, no wonder I could not find anything on this just thought it looked really cool, so much better then a normal tunnel ram. Thanks Frosty 😊here is the car

IMG_20210807_063243883.jpg

Talked to the owner of this car this morning and of course it's not a original car with that engine and the intake is a replica, his story was that there was no factory cars with this manifold, think i believe Frostys story more.

Apparently they are going to remake this manifold and need to order 50 and they already had 36 preorders, molds already made. For the right car in my opinion i think this is even cooler than a tripower set up.

Was a really nice 61 Ventura next to it

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Who is going to re-produce these manifolds Andy? I will definitely want to let Dmitri know.

They are definitely a cut above average looking manifold.

As far as I know, these manifolds were given to a very select small group of racers before the whole racing ban came down. There were definitely no production engines that got this manifold.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:04 AM, Frosty said:

Who is going to re-produce these manifolds Andy? I will definitely want to let Dmitri know.

They are definitely a cut above average looking manifold.

As far as I know, these manifolds were given to a very select small group of racers before the whole racing ban came down. There were definitely no production engines that got this manifold.

This is not someone i know, he shows up at the donut shop in Huntington Beach on Saturday mornings and i just had a short chat with him, in fact he was there this last Saturday also and another 62 GP also nice parked next to him,

If you want i could try to get some more info if i see him next time I'm down there if he shows up?

Would be interesting to know how much they are going to cost.

• Like 2

That would be good to have. If they aren't ridiculously prices, I might even buy one. I am sure Dmitri would be interested in having this information.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

That would be good to have. If they aren't ridiculously prices, I might even buy one. I am sure Dmitri would be interested in having this information.

I'll se what I can do, i make a trip down there most weekends. I'm sure they aren't sheap. 

looks good mate :cheers:

Welding new to old is always going to be fun, at the end of the day you know its good.👍

and thats all that matters. because your driving her down the road and know its right.

• Like 1

So it took a week before I had a chance to continue, had to go to Minnesota to look at some electric buses for a good part of the week.

Trunk is almost done just need to put on some seamsealer in a couple of places and one more coat of paint.

Wasn't going to change the rear brake shoes but one was cracked.

Believe we have had this discussion before, the short lining in the front but the new ones are both the same but one is thicker.

Asked the interwebs and apparently this is not uncommon, thicker lining in the rear supposedly,. Anyone run in to this? 

Frosty got the info from the guy with the dual quad intake, check your PM

IMG_20211003_171935069.jpg

IMG_20211003_171907987.jpg

IMG_20211003_171838230.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Have been working on the under side of the car wire brushing everything as much as possible, removed the body to frame bushings on one side and lifted the body up as much as possible to get in with the air tools, ill see if i can gets some pics during next weekend.

Sprayed the areas that has been wire brushed with Eastwood rust converter and let it sit for a week to completely dry and then sprayed with chassis black, have the back end done and more than half of the left side, hopefully i get time to finish at least the left side next weekend.

Started to assemble the engine, to dark to be out side after work during the week.

Have to decide on a camshaft, choosing between two comp cams grinds, any thoughts?

According to comp cams one should be used with a slight higher stall converter but for now that is not happening, would like to get a TH200R4 eventually and that would be the time to buy a suitable converter so for now stock but should i get he slight bigger one anyway or stick with the other one?

https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-energy-212-218-hydraulic-flat-cam-for-pontiac-265-455.html

https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-energy-230-236-hydraulic-flat-cam-for-pontiac-265-455.html

Another issue i ran in to, i screwed up when i ordered the oil pump the description said come with high pressure spring so i figured it would come with standard and high pressure spring but no only high pressure spring and before i figured that out its to late to return it, so any issues with running the high pressure pump? checking the internet its all over the place with opinions.

Got a little time on Sunday to wash the pistons and rods and let them dry in the sun so i can install them during the week.

IMG_20211031_154050989_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_154106185_HDR.jpg

two lane black top would be the man to ask about the cam Andy, not sure what one Fitzys using, you could ask him too, if he has got his computer working again !!!

to me its like a recipe, you have to have the right ingredients to make it right ! cam+ valve springs + rocker ratio+ +heads+carb+compression

what trans is that sittng on the floor ? looks like a ponti  turbo 400image.png.50cb12be92bcc58a9a3389739abb8ff6.png 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Great progress.  Thankz for keeping us up on your build.  The info and pic's may be inspiring someone else to work and learn more about their rides.  Ask a 100 peeps about the ol volume VS pressure question and get 100 different answers.:willy_nilly:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

two lane black top would be the man to ask about the cam Andy, not sure what one Fitzys using, you could ask him too, if he has got his computer working again !!!

to me its like a recipe, you have to have the right ingredients to make it right ! cam+ valve springs + rocker ratio+ +heads+carb+compression

what trans is that sittng on the floor ? looks like a ponti  turbo 400image.png.50cb12be92bcc58a9a3389739abb8ff6.png 

The trans is the stock st300 2speed, have a TH350 that I'm going to use for now, 4 speed auto is on the Wish list 🙂

Yes you are right, i see to many cars they put to big of a cam in them with especially to low compression, that's why I replaced my heads to get it up a bit, both of these cams are pretty mild but for now i think I'm leaning to the smaller of the two.

• Like 1

Andy - what is your goal(s) with the refreshed motor?

If you are looking for a simple street cruising motor with some pep, the first cam will work fine with either the TH350 or 200 4R.

If you want a bit more of a street warrior with reasonable idle manners, than the second cam is more appropriate. However, power will move to the middle part of the RPM range rather than at the low end like the other cam. Free(er) flowing exhausts would do you well - a set of Doug's or Hooker headers or some factory headers would help you here.

As for the question on oil pumps, Lucy has a high volume/high pressure pump from Melling in her from my old engine builder. She runs 60-80 psi (according to the gauge)  most of the time except at low idle. When I see the gauge reading bouncing around, it is usually an indication that I am low on oil. While I was never asked what I wanted, that's what I know I have in her.

Justa is correct - ask 100 people and you will get 100 opinions.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy H said:

Pontiacs are a bit tight with way they have the exhaust ports oriented and being a near stock engine i should be OK.

Completely agree with you Andy :cheers: thats why i went down the long branch cast iron header way... no issues with clearances and its justA street car... very hard to justA-fy headers :rofl: when you wont notice the difference .👍

kiss !

!stupid youtube GIF

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Completely agree with you Andy :cheers: thats why i went down the long branch cast iron header way... no issues with clearances and its justA street car... very hard to justA-fy headers :rofl: when you wont notice the difference .👍

kiss !

!stupid youtube GIF

And those cast iron ones cool and actually not as expensive as a thought

• Like 1

I have a set of Ram Air Restoration HO/RA exhaust manifolds on Lucy. I love 'em. I have a 2.5" mandrel bent Pypes dual exhaust system with an "X" pipe out behind them. I have the quietest performance mufflers from them I could get because I still want to hear the radio.

• Like 2