Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

Wow, glad I'm not that close to OPG.  Do they rent rooms too?  :willy_nilly: Nice haul.

For you or me? I only have 45 min down there, cheaper to go there than to pay for shipping 😁

• Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

11 hours ago, Andy H said:

For you or me? I only have 45 min down there, cheaper to go there than to pay for shipping 😁

From the Mitten state, it's quite a road trip to save shipping.  I am about 45 min from NPD Mich.

• Like 2

Got a few things done today, got the push rod for the brake master threaded and cut to size with the 3/8" to 5/16" adapter from Mac master Carr installed.

Mocked the disc brakes up and had to grind the corner of the spindles of a little so that it cleared the caliper and then starting cutting the piece out of the passenger floor that needs replacing, hopefully i will get the floor finished tomorrow.

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously i did not get the floor finished the day after last post, wishful thinking🙄, some thing about working on the daughters room.

Engine block back at the machine shop, could not get the oil galley plug in the back behind the freeze plug out and now since it is there i decided to take some of the deck, have been going back and forth with this if i should leave it or take some off.

Pistons are between 0.030" and 0,040" below deck and from talking to a friend and researching online it seems it should probably be 0.030" and 0.050" clearance to the head and the gasket is about 0.040" so they are going to take a little over 0.030" of the deck, this should help bump my compression up a little more and also help with the squish so there is less chance of pinging/detonation.

Got the brake master painted and installed.

Was not happy with the caliper bracket for the disc brake kit i bought, it only bolted up to the two lower bolts for the steering arm and did not use the bolt at the top pad, i decided to machine the top pad down about 0.350" and make a plug that fit in the hole, this put the plug about halfway out of the hole in the back so that the bolt would be recessed down a bit in the front so it wont hit the rotor, welded the plug to the bracket.

Finished fitting the patch panel for the floor, borrowed a tool to flange the edges, painted it with weld through primer,hopefully i get time to drag the welder out next weekend

Screenshot 2021-03-14 211730.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-14 212645.jpg

• Like 2

Andy - I'm delighted to see that you painted the master cylinder black. A lot of guys paint them gray or go with the gray finish of a replacement master cylinder. Stock Pontiac master cylinders were never gray from the factory. Very nice attention to detail!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Andy - I'm delighted to see that you painted the master cylinder black. A lot of guys paint them gray or go with the gray finish of a replacement master cylinder. Stock Pontiac master cylinders were never gray from the factory. Very nice attention to detail!

Thanks, for the most part i like it pretty plain.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some time to finish the front suspension, almost, still need to make the brake lines.

Anybody else got problems with aftermarket parts that don't fit or look exactly like the originals? Had to make the sway bar bushings fit, way to tall so i had to sand them down on the belt sander at work and then the hole was to small so out comes the die grinder, checked online and apparently a common problem? anybody else?  Inner tie rods/steering rods, originals came with the grease fittings on the end but the new ones that came with the car had them on the back, also a common problem i guess? the "right ones" are available apparently but since i already had these i was able to put a 90` fitting on and i think it will work.

Mounted the brackets for the brake caliper hose in front of the spring, a bit tight but we will have to see how it actually works when i get some weight on the front end.

Finally got time to mock the engine up again after the machine shop decked it and the pistons are now flush with deck so the "best" ones are at zero deck and the lowest ones are 0.010" below deck , the way it goes i guess when you are dealing with stock factory crank, rods and cast pistons.

this should put the compression around 9.2-9.3.

IMG_20210422_093230709_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210422_161207014_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210422_161227587_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Yip Andy 

my sway bar bushing had to modified , you will see in my thread how my a arm bushings where wrong, brake hoses wrong , points wrong ... the list goes on ! Haha 

your doing a bloody brilliant job there Andy 👍👍👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Andy H said:

Got some time to finish the front suspension, almost, still need to make the brake lines.

Anybody else got problems with aftermarket parts that don't fit or look exactly like the originals? Had to make the sway bar bushings fit, way to tall so i had to sand them down on the belt sander at work and then the hole was to small so out comes the die grinder, checked online and apparently a common problem? anybody else?  Inner tie rods/steering rods, originals came with the grease fittings on the end but the new ones that came with the car had them on the back, also a common problem i guess? the "right ones" are available apparently but since i already had these i was able to put a 90` fitting on and i think it will work.

Mounted the brackets for the brake caliper hose in front of the spring, a bit tight but we will have to see how it actually works when i get some weight on the front end.

Finally got time to mock the engine up again after the machine shop decked it and the pistons are now flush with deck so the "best" ones are at zero deck and the lowest ones are 0.010" below deck , the way it goes i guess when you are dealing with stock factory crank, rods and cast pistons.

this should put the compression around 9.2-9.3.

IMG_20210422_093230709_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210422_161207014_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210422_161227587_HDR.jpg

Those rubber brake lines need more slack than that.  Have you tried to turn the wheel completely in both directions?  ESP now before you make your hardlines.   Might Justa be the pic, but it don't look right.  Both sides. Drivers side rubber will hit the ball joint shaft for sure N cut it.  That needs to be behind the A Arm and clear from hitting/rubbing on anything.  Pass/side looks too short.  Where are you planning to mount your proportioning valve?  Should be on the frame under the booster.  Not pickin ya apart buddy, trying to save ya some $$ and heartache if the brakes fail.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Those rubber brake lines need more slack than that.  Have you tried to turn the wheel completely in both directions?  ESP now before you make your hardlines.   Might Justa be the pic, but it don't look right.  Both sides. Drivers side rubber will hit the ball joint shaft for sure N cut it.  That needs to be behind the A Arm and clear from hitting/rubbing on anything.  Pass/side looks too short.  Where are you planning to mount your proportioning valve?  Should be on the frame under the booster.  Not pickin ya apart buddy, trying to save ya some $$ and heartache if the brakes fail.

yeah this is is a discussion me and my buddy has had (he builds cars for a living) and been going back and forth, so the theory is that if you run it this way the hose will just bend not stretch and crunch together when you steer now this doesn't always work as even the OE's don't always do it this way, a perfect example is the later Le Mans with factory disc brakes. so in this case here i decided to try it this way but it is a bit tight but the lenght of the hose is fine since it does not stretch, I have turned the wheel many times when relocating the hose bracket and it works but my only concern is when i get all the weight back on and the car sits at its normal ride height, we will have to see. If i have to run the hose to the original location behind the wheel i will have to get a shorter hose.

i made the brake lines from the junction block to the front wheels today but still need to make the ones from the master to junction block also going to put a 10psi check valve and a adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line somewhere but have not decided where yet oh and yes it is going to be manual brakes so no booster at least for now, running a master with smaller bore instead it will be interesting to see how it works.

Critic is always good it might make you think of things you didn't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy H said:

yeah this is is a discussion me and my buddy has had (he builds cars for a living) and been going back and forth, so the theory is that if you run it this way the hose will just bend not stretch and crunch together when you steer now this doesn't always work as even the OE's don't always do it this way, a perfect example is the later Le Mans with factory disc brakes. so in this case here i decided to try it this way but it is a bit tight but the lenght of the hose is fine since it does not stretch, I have turned the wheel many times when relocating the hose bracket and it works but my only concern is when i get all the weight back on and the car sits at its normal ride height, we will have to see. If i have to run the hose to the original location behind the wheel i will have to get a shorter hose.

i made the brake lines from the junction block to the front wheels today but still need to make the ones from the master to junction block also going to put a 10psi check valve and a adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line somewhere but have not decided where yet oh and yes it is going to be manual brakes so no booster at least for now, running a master with smaller bore instead it will be interesting to see how it works.

Critic is always good it might make you think of things you didn't.

Wasn't meant to be critical,  You seem to have er worked out, Thankz for sharing your work.  Ya know we like pic's.:lol2:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

image.jpeg.b732cb732318ac589a611de9bf62969c.jpegAndy , justA cut those center sleeves down on the link will give you heaps more room 

Had been looking at possible doing that before and when i saw yours im like hmmm, only thing is how much space is there going to be between sway bar and steering rod when car gets down to ride height? definitively cut some off when i get that far should give me that extra space i need for my hose.

• Like 1