Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

JUSTA - you've never shared "those" pictures with me before. WTF? I've heard the story - just not seen the evidence before. You've been holding out on me bud!

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Frosty said:

JUSTA - you've never shared "those" pictures with me before. WTF? I've heard the story - just not seen the evidence before. You've been holding out on me bud!

Posted them all at the time.  Justa for the story.  Thurs..Frame shop calls,  Get this POS outta here today.  Question, it's on the jig, If I get a frame would you transfer to new frame.  If it's not here Mon AM when I open, tow truck will be haulin it to the junkyard.  Few calls.   Fri, 7am meet guy in Saline (about an hour away) Completely strip a running car, including wiring down to body on two rolling wheels.  Drag home on T trailer.  People going nuts on me. Flipping off, swerving at me. Pull over to find rear window blew out of car towing @ 60mph on 5 lane expressway. Expected PO PO to be @ my house by the time I got home.  By 6pm, had my prize new frame out and body on trailer.  Worked til midnight, stripping frame, sanding then took my bloody self in for shower and collapsed. Saturday AM back to work straight through til Sunday night.  =  Painted and ready for my body. (2coats rust restore,3 coats frame black, 2 coats clear) Shop dropped my body on, but they didn't throw the 2 bolts I asked for into body mounts.  Had to stop and relocated on frame after almost loosing it twice on way home, esp on my bumpy ass dirt roads. Note my Pontiac utility trailer had 1 inch clearance on each side with body loaded.  All done by myself......Where were you again Frosty???  Had to move my complete front to back new suspension parts over to new frame.  That's the story of my weekend and I'm stickin to it...... Pic's don't lie.  Is that why we all like pic's so much around here?:stars:

CopyofGTOSquare1018.jpg

CopyofGTOSquare1021.jpg

CopyofGTOSquare1031.jpg

CopyofGTOSquare1033.jpg

CopyofHalloween039.jpg

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

Sorry Andy, never ment to highjack your thread.

All good, we all like a good story AND pictures.

That sure is one for the books, car looking good in that last picture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy H said:

All good, we all like a good story AND pictures.

That sure is one for the books, car looking good in that last picture.

That was the last pic on the bad frame.

• Like 2

Anybody that has replaced body bushings?

Had a couple of hours last night and started to install the body bushings on the side that i painted the frame on but the bushings in the middle(position B in pic) has a smaller hole in the frame and the bushings in the kit are all the same, anybody run in to this? The kit came from OPGI.

IMG_20211112_174349942.jpg

3 hours ago, Andy H said:

Had a couple of hours last night and started to install the body bushings on the side that i painted the frame on but the bushings in the middle(position B in pic) has a smaller hole in the frame and the bushings in the kit are all the same, anybody run in to this? The kit came from OPGI.

no sorry Andy, the Bonneville, all 14 bushings and bolts where the same 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

no sorry Andy, the Bonneville, all 14 bushings and bolts where the same 

This one only has six mounts per side but the kit had a total of 14 mounts, kit is probably one size fits all.

Also noted that the original mounts had a metal reinforcement ring against the frame and of course the after market ones don't.

Going to see if I can set one up in the lathe and try to cut down the step, otherwise I'll have to cut it down by hand, only need 12 have 14 so i have a couple to practice on.

• Like 2

i had 2 that where never installed !! in the mid section one on both side was completely missing and had never been in there at all.... unless the car had been off its frame before i got it... which with the condition of everything.. i doubt !

• Like 1

I paid someone to replace the body bushing on Lucy 16+ years ago. I never heard anything having to lathe turn a bushing. Of course, mine is a '72 vs a '64. That might also make a tad bit of a difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I paid someone to replace the body bushing on Lucy 16+ years ago. I never heard anything having to lathe turn a bushing. Of course, mine is a '72 vs a '64. That might also make a tad bit of a difference.

Found the answer in Ames catalog, they have it explained and listed but of course i bought mine from OPGI because they are right down here and I don't have to pay shipping.opgi don't mention anything about this.

That's what they call find out the hard way.apparently according to Ames there is two types of bushings for the core support also but the instructions that came with mine say no bushings used on 64, have to see if I saved my old ones, don't even recall if it had any. My kit came with round ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

SO what does the Ames catalog state Andy?

Small diameter mounts used beneath the doors in some 64-67 applications wich is apparently what I got.

Managed to "shave" one down yesterday and installed it , next question is the core support bushings, Ames has round and square ones, luckily I saved mine and took pictures when I tore it down however the round ones in the kit are not the same size as the ones that was on the car so i will have to see when I get that far and mock it up.IMG_20211115_063532595.thumb.jpg.ec10ed3c8667b419778d8d8edeb6e07c.jpg

Edited by Andy H
  • Like 1

Definitely mock it up and test fit it first. Just because it was there, doesn't not necessarily mean it is correct. It worked but may not be correct. Gawd only knows who might have been there before you. 

Edited by Frosty

4 hours ago, Andy H said:

Small diameter mounts used beneath the doors in some 64-67 applications wich is apparently what I got.

Managed to "shave" one down yesterday and installed it , next question is the core support bushings, Ames has round and square ones, luckily I saved mine and took pictures when I tore it down however the round ones in the kit are not the same size as the ones that was on the car so i will have to see when I get that far and mock it up.IMG_20211115_063532595.thumb.jpg.ec10ed3c8667b419778d8d8edeb6e07c.jpg

i think the core support ones are going to be critical, as the whole front clip will move up or down on those 2 bushings, and you will know at the door gap.

i know from the Bonneville, that i used the factory bushings but both had shims under them and i removed these with the new chassis to get the door gap correct when i mocked up the front end.

so i would throw a fender on Andy and check your gap, with the new bushing in  mate👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Definitely mock it up and test fit it first. Just because it was there, doesn't not necessarily mean it is correct. It worked but may not be correcte. Gawd only knows who might have been there before you. 

11 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i think the core support ones are going to be critical, as the whole front clip will move up or down on those 2 bushings, and you will know at the door gap.

i know from the Bonneville, that i used the factory bushings but both had shims under them and i removed these with the new chassis to get the door gap correct when i mocked up the front end.

so i would throw a fender on Andy and check your gap, with the new bushing in  mate👍

Yes had the same thought, wonder if the ones on the car is correct or not 🙄 .

Definitely mock it up but a ways to go before that.🙂 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, Andy H said:

I also had to replace floor and crossmembers and build my own inner rockers.  So I bolted  everything into place for measuring/marking before welding.  Had no problems.  

Copyofsleds003.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 9:44 AM, Andy H said:

Can't imagine NOT installing core support bushings.  This keeps the whole front clip square to the body. 

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Blew out the fuel lines and rear brake lines with brake cleaner and air, good thing I did found that the rear brake hose was plugged, got a new one coming tomorrow from Amazon.

Glued on some tar paper to the top of the tank last night, have seen that there is special insulator's för this for anti rattle but what's wrong with tar paper? Also free in this case left over from the roof replacement last year.

Tried to install tank but the rear frame piece is puched in about 1/2" to 3/4" so the filler tube won't fit between the body and the frame.

Think i will have to flip the car around and hook it up to my suburban to pull it out but my driveway is not flat in i don't have any brakes yeat, I'll have to figure it out.

IMG_20211204_112241681.jpg

IMG_20211204_112554279.jpg

IMG_20211204_162640058.jpg

• Like 2