Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

"All I have to do is make some header pipes."

Do you realise tbe gravity of that statement? I can throw a salad together or mix a batch of concrete but I defo can't just make headers. You're either underselling yourself or I need to improve my fabrication skills.

• Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

40 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

"All I have to do is make some header pipes."

Do you realise tbe gravity of that statement? I can throw a salad together or mix a batch of concrete but I defo can't just make headers. You're either underselling yourself or I need to improve my fabrication skills.

Not header's just the pipes that go up to the stock manifolds, 😄 since this is a fairly stock engine i don't feel like messing with header's.

Building header's sounds like a lot of work.

I have a exhaust fab place where I can buy the bends and he can probably make the flares at the manifold end just have to get some flanges Wich he might have also.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started to put the Edelbrock carb back together after cleaning and figured i would record the size of the jets for primary and secondary do i know later if need be.

But how the you know what do you read the damned numbers on those? Goggled it and it doesn't help much because the numbers are soo SMALL.

IMG_20220514_132328355.jpg

IMG_20220510_183747152.jpg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i use my cell phone to take a picture and then blow it up Andy!!

I guess i need a better phone 😅 cause i still can't make out what it says.

• Haha 1

Ok smart people, found this one in one of the boxes of parts that came with the car.

What is it for? Did i forget to put it on?

IMG_20220514_171318372.jpg

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Looks like the Mechanical fuel pump blockoff plate.

It does but the bolt holes don't line up with that. 

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Andy does the other side look like its had a gasket on it ? 

i am thinking it is a intake manifold blank plate

No gasket, looks like it was part of a bracket or something, what got me was the fact that it has engine color. Here is the backside.

IMG_20220515_063934031.jpg

36 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

It'sa book mark.  So your Chiltons don't keep flippin shut.

Yeah, for now it might just have to go back in to the box where I found it 😄

Got the alternator and ps pump mocked up an realize that there's only one belt driving the alternator and ps pump, the alternator don't have very much wrap, is it going to slip? Especially if I install a higher amp alternator.

IMG_20220517_181343514.jpg

Tested the power master starter i got from my buddy but it doesn't work.

It can only be clocked in two different positions and in one the solenoid hits the manifold and in the other the housing hits the pan rail.

So what mini starters are you guys using that don't cost a small fortune? 

IMG_20220514_173004415.jpg

IMG_20220515_140701141_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

That belt will slip mate, you need the twin pulleys and a separate belt on each 👍

i cant help with the stater as i use a nz built roadrunner one and it mounts to my bell housing 

https://www.roadrunner-starters.com/collections/automotive/products/rs123

and i could clock it to any position, which is the key !!👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

That belt will slip mate, you need the twin pulleys and a separate belt on each 👍

i cant help with the stater as i use a nz built roadrunner one and it mounts to my bell housing 

https://www.roadrunner-starters.com/collections/automotive/products/rs123

and i could clock it to any position, which is the key !!👍

Apparently this is the factory setup on a ac car in 64 and 65, there was supposedly a different set up earlier that year.

I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes, apparently it's important that you use the right belt.

A buddy of mine had a good idea for plan B if it doesn't work, remove the ps pump and install a electric pump instead, i have seen this done by him on several cars and it works great.

I think I have figured out what starter to get, power master 9510.

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

What's wrong with the factory starter? I installed an El Cheapo remanufactured unit that I found for $30 and it turns my very tight engine over effortlessly - I can barely turn the engine with a socket and cheater bar on the crankshaft pulley nut myself.

I was going to use the factory starter but that didn't workout so i figured this is the time to upgrade.

• Like 1

I think electric power steering pumps are a great idea - steering assistance is only required when you need it. I'd defo go for that.

Andy, you may be aware of this but I converted my fullsize GP from power to manual steering. The steering effort, even at standstill is minimal. Sure, it takes 58 turns of the wheel to get around a corner but the factory power set up isn't much different. I wanted an engine bay that was full of engine and nothing else, hence the deviation. Just a consideration for you if you wanted to circumvent the whole power steering thing.

3 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Andy , I will post some pictures of my 2 belt system when I get home from work 👍

justA so you have and idea of what I think is a factory set up 🍻

The first one is what i believe you are talking about and the second is what mine is, and all different setups that year.

IMG_20220518_201235229.jpg

IMG_20220517_214841586.jpg

16529316828232201248336400264510.jpg

Edited by Andy H