Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

64 LeMans

1 hour ago, Andy H said:

Not bad, since i soaked it in citric acid for a week before but some spots didn't get submerged so I got to work on those a bit.

Was thinking of getting some Eastwood rust converter and spray that on first when I'm done sanding like I did on the frame and after that some self etching primer before I paint with Por 15.

when i did mine i sand basted it , then used the crc rust converter then etch prime👍

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

16 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

when i did mine i sand basted it , then used the crc rust converter then etch prime👍

I would make to much of a mess at my house for my neighbors to like it I'm afraid 😆 

What about warping? And how did you get all the sand out from in-between the panels?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Worked on getting the shields installed at the front inside where the bumper goes and figuring out how all the rubber pieces are supposed to go.

Since this is a factory A/C car there's quite a few of them and all of it wasn't there when I took it apart.  

this one goes in front below the radiator and there's supposed to be a rubber lip attached the it nu my kit didn't come with one so I'll have to install the bumper and figure out how big it's supposed to be and make one.IMG_20240225_144422047.thumb.jpg.533844fd1de906c55900f5000f110c69.jpg

IMG_20240225_142358149_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_134742692_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240225_134710389_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

The battery that i got for the car less than a year ago took a dump, would not hold a charge so it had 24 month warranty so they gave me a new one.

The new one has a green top🤬🤮 looks out of place in an old car so i fixed it with som plastic bumper paint that I had.

0fc3651d-f88f-42bd-a2c6-e7699768c2d9.jpg

IMG_20240216_160809883.jpg

• Like 2

ewww! so glad you sprayed that battery top Andy ! wayy to green !:rofl:

i write the date and where i bought each of my battery from on the top of all now ! justA because i have so many that fail before they are out of warranty !!

This includes batteries that get cycled every day like the one in my work van, i have had 2 fail within warranty period ! over the life of this lastest van ( 8 years old) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i write the date and where i bought each of my battery from on the top of all now ! justA because i have so many that fail before they are out of warranty !!

This includes batteries that get cycled every day like the one in my work van, i have had 2 fail within warranty period ! over the life of this lastest van ( 8 years old) 

I have two friends that work for car private car collectors and all their cars have battery tenders hooked up to then all the time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I picked the first battery because it was black and would look like it belonged and when they showed me the replacement 🤮 so I couldn't leave it as it was.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I have battery tenders on all my cars except my daily driver. They work fine.

However, time is still not kind to batteries. They can still sulphate or drop a cell due to age alone.  I had that happen last spring with my Roadmaster. When I got the car from my dad's estate 5 years ago, I took care of it. The car also came with a spare battery. I hooked up both on their own battery tenders. However, last spring the car battery dropped a cell and wouldn't start. Same thing happened to the spare. Both batteries were well over 8 years old, long past any warranty and useful life of a typical battery. I ended up junking 2 batteries and buying a new Optima.

I think anything past five years on a battery is just a bonus but keeping it charged up sure helps.

I think i need to get myself a new battery charger also.

I installed this 300A bistanle relay to disconnect the battery so we will have to see how much that helps 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, B52bombardier1 said:

Very nice.  You are so much further along than I am on my build.

Rick

I have been at it a little longer than you on mine but from what i can see you are making good progress, I'll be checking in on yours to see what you are up to 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 6:58 PM, Fitzy said:

Andy, I am intrigued. Can you explain the methodology here? Looks like a brilliant solution. Better than losing a body part as one of those damn things flies through the air and removes a limb.

Yeah, soz. I was quoting your hood spring installation method using the floor jack but computer said no.

I've said it before, but I am impressed by your slow & steady approach. Everything seems to be coming along very nicely.

Edited by Fitzy
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Slowly stated on the paint,cleaned up the inside of the

before I put on the hood.

Removed the funny looking beltline moulding that someone had installed and plugged up the rivet holes with bondo and touch up paint.

Got a hold of these little washer nuts for the heater cables, could have gotten them from Ames or OPGI for a small fortune but found the generic model at McMastercarr instead and they worked good.

Probably won't get much done this weekend because we're going to Bakersfield for street rod Nationals tomorrow morning but maybe Sunday.

Ohh yeah bought this Poppy's patina stuff I'm going to try for the paint, we'll have to see how that works out.

IMG_20240426_172215082_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240426_172319921.jpg

IMG_20240426_172702638.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Slowly stated on the paint,cleaned up the inside of the

before I put on the hood.

Removed the funny looking beltline moulding that someone had installed and plugged up the rivet holes with bondo and touch up paint.

Got a hold of these little washer nuts for the heater cables, could have gotten them from Ames or OPGI for a small fortune but found the generic model at McMastercarr instead and they worked good.

Probably won't get much done this weekend because we're going to Bakersfield for street rod Nationals tomorrow morning but maybe Sunday.

Ohh yeah bought this Poppy's patina stuff I'm going to try for the paint, we'll have to see how that works out.

IMG_20240426_172215082_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240426_172319921.jpg

IMG_20240426_172702638.jpg

IMG_20240426_172202036_HDR.jpg

• Like 1