Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

JAH11's 1968 GTO

2024 June
of the Month

  • Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

    Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

    Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

    Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

    Sign up now! 🏁

64 LeMans


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Andy H said:

Probably won't get much done this weekend because we're going to Bakersfield for street rod Nationals tomorrow morning but maybe Sunday

Don’t forget we love pictures around her Andy 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

A couple of cars from this mornings cars and coffee and from last weekend in Bakersfield, medel had a half of a Pontiac V8, 4 1/2" stroke, if you look close on one of the pictures you will see some chrome small cover plates they are there because he had to make room for the rods/ long stroke.

IMG_20240504_063738241.jpg

IMG_20240504_063656290.jpg

IMG_20240504_063645376.jpg

IMG_20240504_063636549.jpg

IMG_20240504_063628458.jpg

IMG_20240427_142340786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095710255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095700834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240504_063636549.jpg

IMG_20240504_063628458.jpg

IMG_20240427_142340786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095710255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095700834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095916641_HDR.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Wow ! I justA  learnt something 👍👍👍👍 

it reminds me of the valiant slant motors ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Wow ! I justA  learnt something 👍👍👍👍 

it reminds me of the valiant slant motors ! 

Yeah they probably felt that they needed to compete in that class of cars and came up with this as a cheap way of doing it. I had heard of it but didn't know much of it either. Definitely different.

This one sounded really good, supposedly about 400hp , the guy is a hobby machinists and had a lot of neat stuff on the car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I got the hood and fenders wet sanded to remove most of the surface rust and after that I put on some of this patina stuff to keep it from rusting again.

Fenders turned out pretty good but th the hood needs to be redone.

IMG_20240505_132342604_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240505_115902238.jpg

IMG_20240505_120903550_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240505_134816390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240426_172215082_HDR.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter how you decide to finish this, it looks good to me!

Rick

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, B52bombardier1 said:

No matter how you decide to finish this, it looks good to me!

Rick

Thank you.

Would have preferred to paint it but that's not in the book's right now so we will try to make the best of what's there.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Try some high build, self-etching primer on the roof to keep that rust at bay until you can formally do the paint or restore the patina.

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, B52bombardier1 said:

Try some high build, self-etching primer on the roof to keep that rust at bay until you can formally do the paint or restore the patina.

Rick

The plan is to use this stuff and just leave the patina look for now, we'll see how it works.

Hopefully I'll be able to paint it later.

Screenshot_20240515-202200.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, Andy H said:

I had a chance to have a long discussion with Mac McKellar back in 2008. In addition to his work on the OHC 6 program, he told me what an awfully hard engine this was to develop on a shoestring budget. GM wanted 4-cylinder engines for their compact cars -  Tempest, Special/Skylark, and F-85/Cutlass (old Y-platform) - back in 1961. The Trophy 4 was only installed in the Tempest though. Mac said this engine vibrated like hell and needed a lot of rubber/isolation on the engine mounts to keep from it from transferring those vibrations into the rest of the car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I had a chance to have a long discussion with Mac McKellar back in 2008. In addition to his work on the OHC 6 program, he told me what an awfully hard engine this was to develop on a shoestring budget. GM wanted 4-cylinder engines for their compact cars -  Tempest, Special/Skylark, and F-85/Cutlass (old Y-platform) - back in 1961. The Trophy 4 was only installed in the Tempest though. Mac said this engine vibrated like hell and needed a lot of rubber/isolation on the engine mounts to keep from it from transferring those vibrations into the rest of the car.

Pretty interesting,all the stuff they came up with to get something done ( in this case create a 4 cylinder) and sometimes it worked out and sometimes not.

On the one I took a picture of if you look closely on the left side there is some small chrome plates, they cover holes in the block the owner had to make to clear the rods because of the stroker crank he installed.

I just heard it run so I'm not sure if this one vibrated or not but it sounded just like any other good running 4 cylinder.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another issue on the Trophy 4 was the timing chain. In the beginning, Pontiac used the same chain from the 389. However, the vibrations caused the stock 389 chains to stretch and break over time. Pontiac was forced to develop a heavy-duty / high-strength timing chain in order to handle the additional vibration that a 4-cylinder inherently has.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 6:50 AM, Andy H said:

A couple of cars from this mornings cars and coffee and from last weekend in Bakersfield, medel had a half of a Pontiac V8, 4 1/2" stroke, if you look close on one of the pictures you will see some chrome small cover plates they are there because he had to make room for the rods/ long stroke.

IMG_20240504_063738241.jpg

IMG_20240504_063656290.jpg

IMG_20240504_063645376.jpg

IMG_20240504_063636549.jpg

IMG_20240504_063628458.jpg

IMG_20240427_142340786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095710255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095700834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240504_063636549.jpg

IMG_20240504_063628458.jpg

IMG_20240427_142340786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095710255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095700834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095916641_HDR.jpg

Not sure what happened to this post, all the pictures just come up as links that don't work.

Have had problems lately when uploading, could be my phone.

IMG_20240427_095700834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095710255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240427_095916641_HDR.jpg

Edited by Andy H
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Founders
21 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Not sure what happened to this post, all the pictures just come up as links that don't work.

Have had problems lately when uploading, could be my phone.

 

Were these removed from the attachment area of the editor once uploaded? I have seen that happen when that is done. However, last week, a change was made on the server so if you're having an issue consistently, please let me know if any errors present themself and I can take a look.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Were these removed from the attachment area of the editor once uploaded? I have seen that happen when that is done. However, last week, a change was made on the server so if you're having an issue consistently, please let me know if any errors present themself and I can take a look.

Will do, thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Got the hood coated a second time and also also coated the roof and the trunk, got Lucky had a cloudy day so i was able to do it in the driveway instead of moving the coupe and all the stuff out of the garage to be able to get in there.

My daughter have been painting some of the emblems and I removed and started to clean up the taillight housings they also need to be painted later, have new tail light lenses that came with the car.

Ordered bunch of miscellaneous gaskets and screws also front parking light lenses, all the gaskets was pretty reasonable except for the taillight housing to body one's they are $150 so we are not getting those I think the ones on there is going to have to do.

IMG_20240518_181513274.jpg

IMG_20240527_145532515.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Decided on 235/70 tires on the front and got 245/70 in the rear.

Got them installed and took a short drive around the block.

Got my helper out here painting the emblems,she is doing a great job😄

Still sanding and applying patina stuff one section at a time, left quarter and the back panel left, going to remove the rear bumper to paint it on the inside and install a missing bracket, the chrome is not good,s couple of spots have been flaking off, looks to be a cheap rechrome doesn't look like any triple chrome.

Got some fake chrome in a can I'm going to try 😄

IMG_20240609_113518042_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240609_125734568_HDR.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anybody that has found someone LED bulbs that works good? looking for 1157 and 1156 bulbs red and amber.

Wanted especially my taillights to be more visible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought some cheapies thru Temu - 4 of them. 2 of them worked properly but the car didn't like them so I put them in my pickup. Having said that, I installed 2 amber/white LEDs into my front park/indicators and they work fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I bought some cheapies thru Temu - 4 of them. 2 of them worked properly but the car didn't like them so I put them in my pickup. Having said that, I installed 2 amber/white LEDs into my front park/indicators and they work fine.

where they any brighter then stock? i see a lot of mixed reviews for different bulbs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.