Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

This will make you smile

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Um... the toilet thing you mention ... that was last week and it was a council toilet in TurangiΒ 

some knuckle dragger shoved a can down the toilet then down loaded on top of it , which blocked it.... THAT WAS NOT A FUN JOB !! 🀒

:badGT:

• Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

I have my early 70's Rupp Snowmobile's and DT 250 Yamaha Enduro.Β  Wish I had my Hot Wheel collection. Still have my 1st shotgun from late 60's.Β  Have many of the model airplanes and RC's from the mid 60's up that Dad N I built.Β  Too scared I'd crash em to really get em out N play.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I used to have a pedal car - some old American design. It was faded red & rusty (wait a minute - regression!) and my parents practically had to prise me out of it when it was time to eat. A portent of things to come, obviously! I also had a Tonka tipper that I could kneel inside the tipper part and use it as a scooter. But, it was my huge collection of Lego, my Matchbox cars and one of those thick plastic mats that had streets printed on it that kept me amused for hours, whilst my parents experimented with drugs, swapped partners and embraced the 70s with just a little too much gusto. This is what happens when you pluck peeps from Tasmania in the 60s and transplant them to Melbourne. Lots of Pink Floyd, Santana, Yes, James Gang and Emerson, Lake & Palmer on the quadrophonic. Good times.

I'm surprised I'm as calm and as well adjusted as I am.

JustA, that's a great pic of your bigass GTO dwarfing the Sunbird. It's like a dorm where the school jock has to share with one of the nerdy guys.

Kiwi, did you find it refreshing and pleasant to be working on something small, light and that isn't coated in all manner of auto fluids? I really enjoy placing something non automotive on my workbench and tinkering with it, as opposed to being under 2 tons of something where you can't get anything undone because God Himself tightened those nuts 56 years ago.

Yeah it was mateΒ 

and because it was for the grand son made it that much more fun !Β 

Β 

• Like 1

I am a little late coming to the party but thought I would throw in my two cents worth. This probably falls into the category of this will make you cry but when I got married in the mid 60's my mom immediately threw out my 3 foot highΒ  stack of comic books dating to the late 40's and the 50's.Β 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

It fits perfectly on the seat of the Sunbird trailer and used to transport the peddlecar. Now they sit back there (with alot of prodding) I don't think I have pic's of all 3 at a carshow.Β  They used to polish it N drive it in front of PapaBird attracting sooo much attention.Β  We used to enter the peddlecar in special interest.Β  The girls have won trophys.Β  Damn that seems like yesterday.Β  When did I have TIME to get this old????

morningglory033.jpg

CopyofWoodward10012.jpg

That is justA pricelessΒ :bowdown:

now do the grand kids drive it ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fitzy,Β 

I know how you know. I bought a 62 Ford Fairlane and did a lot of suspension mods, essentially "backyard" stuff although I did have the benefit of my fathers repair shop. Also had a McCullough supercharger on it from a friends garage. Built all the mounts and got it working. All in all it handled good but not great and ran great for 260.Β 

Got into a race with a swing axle Porsche in a canyon between home, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. He wanted to play and I was ready. We both passed the car in front on a blind curve, teenage lack of brains, and the race was on. Next thing I knew the Porsche dove into a curve with me right behind. I braked hard set the car and got on the gas. Next thing I knew I was looking at brake lights! I came within inches of contact. Fortunately the straight at the end of the curve came just in time and the Porsche accelerated hard.Β 

I spoke to a Porsche lover I knewΒ  and asked want the h.... was going on. I was informed that the swing axle Porsche has to power into a curve and brake out or the outside rear tire will tuck under and the car will snap roll.

A very scary lesson to learn, I am assuming you snap rolled your kraut kart.

• Like 1

I only ever rolled one car and it wasn't the Beetle. Swing axles move up and down independently but the hubs also move with the axle, in other words the only pivot point is where they exit the transaxle. The camber is dependent on how much weight is applied to them - more weight = negative camber, less weight = positive camber. So, if you go into a corner hard and begin your turn, the weight transfer to the outside wheel means you now have both wheels at about the same parallel angle but the outside one is negative and the inner is positive - a crazy recipe for imminent disaster. Mind you, Beetles weren't meant to be driven like that.

Yes, I have heard about the technique for cornering in a rear engined Porsche. Unfortunately,Β  I'll never have the pleasure to try it. Anyway, that was a great story you told - you gotta do stupid shit like that when you're young & stupid - only a very few old & stupid diehards are still alive to tell the tale!

The same cornering admonitions applied to 1940s Tatras with their rear engined air cooled V8s. Immensely powerful but with swing axle suspension, many were relinquished to Nazi officers to tool around in during the War. So many came to grief that they eventually banned personnel from using them.

Kiwi,

Nice piece but quite a price tag. I'm not saying that there is not that much money and probably more in the car but ............... of course there are a lot of people in this world and he only needs the right one.

I see it is on a California plate with a registration that expired in either 16 or 18, cant quite make it out. I seem to recall from another thread that Wilwood brakes were not approved for down under, can it even be driven there?

Thanks for the look see.

• Like 2

It's an Acadian, meaning it is a Canadian-built car. Rare for the US to be sure, but I'm not sure even a pro-touring car is worth $100k. It definitely looks cool but someone is a terrible photographer, especially on the exterior shots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Kiwi,

Nice piece but quite a price tag. I'm not saying that there is not that much money and probably more in the car but ............... of course there are a lot of people in this world and he only needs the right one.

I see it is on a California plate with a registration that expired in either 16 or 18, cant quite make it out. I seem to recall from another thread that Wilwood brakes were not approved for down under, can it even be driven there?

Thanks for the look see.

i had not herd anything about wilwood being banded here, i have seen lots of cars with them on, even my cortina has them.

i will ask my brake mate. he will know.

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Nice ride,Β  I'm sorry but I can't stand those rims.Β  Ruins everything they are put on.Β  Justa my .02

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Nice ride,Β  I'm sorry but I can't stand those rims.Β  Ruins everything they are put on.Β  Justa my .02

Torq Thrust wannabes. Fail!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1