Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

This will make you smile

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

this car is in Auckland, so no way of looking at it, they are still in lock down, but he did send me some pictures and i can see bogged up rockers and some dodgee patches around the rear chassis to body mounts justA behind the rear wheels.... the location that i documented on my one where the floor had been replaced and was completely missing the mounting point.

IMG_7231.jpg.5f9d4a3a7d6655a82cd13319ff5cae44.jpg

IMG_7241.jpgIMG_7246.jpg.06d7f425719e85d96c4f7c2bb0a273c5.jpg

i justA happen to have 2 nice clean doors, !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

It's actually a good price unless all the floor panels are rotten, and then it is acceptable.

Yes mate I thought that too ... but 

it’s not road legal and I bet it was flagged for rust when it was imported 

and it’s not as easy as justA welding up the floor and registering it !

the repairs have to be certified by a approved rust repairer and in my town there isn’t a certifier any more , so I would have to factor that in !!

the big thing is this aint  Florida !! Like Del can drive around most of the year with the top down ,you would be lucky to get three months of the year here !! :rofl:

I'm in So Cal so there is almost no time that I cant go topless. I took the kids to Disneyworld one summer another lifetime ago and you could set your watch by the rain. Oh its raining it must be 2:00. I am better off than Del on that account.

Sorry about the rust repair there, here we just mig weld them in and go on with life. I was fortunate with mine the only rust repair I had was behind all 4 wheel openings. 

I have to ask do you know what the right front fender is like. Mine was so bad I was looking for another one and could not find one in California! Something about that fender that they go south in a big way.

5 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

I'm in So Cal so there is almost no time that I cant go topless. I took the kids to Disneyworld one summer another lifetime ago and you could set your watch by the rain. Oh its raining it must be 2:00. I am better off than Del on that account.

i have been to Orlando, it rains at 4pm on the dot... you know its coming because the wind gets up first !! not sure if it the same where Del and ringo are ??? 

i recall wrong way and i where talking about the difference in fenders last year, and i think its that recessed lower section that the bumper sits in that different . 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

The 63 has a square top on the fender, the 64 and later have a rib on the top. The reason for that is that as you are working on the engine you will put little dents in the top of the fender so in 64 they made a rib. Mine were block sanded before they got painted and installed. now I look across the fender while driving and there are little dents all the way down.

My comment was regarding rust. For some reason the right fender is very prone to rust even in our dry climate. I could find good left fenders all over the place but not a right, I wound up rebuilding everything, but it is a daily driver and will never see a car show judge at least as long as I own it. So I live with it.

Probably because you got more water intrusion on the right hand side of the car from standing water accumulating in the gutters of the streets out west. That's my theory anyways. With crowned roads, gravity will push water to the left and right hand side of the street towards the gutters, therefore the right hand side goes through bigger puddles of water than the left and more often. Let's face it, manufacturer rust proofing has not particularly good in those days.

1 hour ago, Old guy44 said:

The 63 has a square top on the fender, the 64 and later have a rib on the top. The reason for that is that as you are working on the engine you will put little dents in the top of the fender so in 64 they made a rib. Mine were block sanded before they got painted and installed. now I look across the fender while driving and there are little dents all the way down.

My comment was regarding rust. For some reason the right fender is very prone to rust even in our dry climate. I could find good left fenders all over the place but not a right, I wound up rebuilding everything, but it is a daily driver and will never see a car show judge at least as long as I own it. So I live with it.

yes mate even my right fender on the 64 had a small spot in the bottom behind the wheel where the outer skin sits against the inner support metal, it was a easy fix though, really nice steel to work with too !👍

• Like 1

Frosty,

I will go with your theory, It is as good as anything. 

Started me thinking about your neck of the woods. My sister and her husband lived in Michigan in the 60's and 70's. I can remember as a kid visiting  and all the cars of that era with a few winters under their belt were largely rusty lace on the bottom foot of the body.

We still salt the roads to this day because of the very large salt deposits and salt mines under the city of Detroit and nearby area. However, corrosion resistant steel, larger use of aluminum and plastic/polymer materials have helped the longevity of cars on the road. They don't rust out as quickly. However, they do still rust.

I will have to research you question a little. However, what is preventing you from getting a modern neutral safety switch and hooking it up unless the wiring harness is different these days?

Have not found one that works in P and N which means as I found that you need to stop and put it in park if the motor dies. Not good depending on the situation. 

If I can find one that was designed to attach to the top of the steering column it is not too much trouble to just pull the column and make it work.

50 minutes ago, Old guy44 said:

Have not found one that works in P and N which means as I found that you need to stop and put it in park if the motor dies. Not good depending on the situation. 

If I can find one that was designed to attach to the top of the steering column it is not too much trouble to just pull the column and make it work.

Pull your switch off the column and pull it apart ... I did mine to clean the contacts and I think you could move the contacts to suit your new trans ! 

It’s justA slide switch with brass plates on a bakalite type base 

I am sure you could make it work 👍👍

• Like 2

We have had our first week of 20 c plus tempertures,  70 for the Fahrenheit people ...

soooo it’s barbie time !!!! 

Bit if scotch fillet, few red peppers onion. And some asparagus 😜

E7FF0251-BE6C-46BB-A8FA-03A6252A89E4.jpeg

the scotch fillet was from 'Brian' the angus we raised.... he was exceptionally yummy !!!

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

We have had our first week of 20 c plus tempertures,  70 for the Fahrenheit people ...

soooo it’s barbie time !!!! 

Bit if scotch fillet, few red peppers onion. And some asparagus 😜

E7FF0251-BE6C-46BB-A8FA-03A6252A89E4.jpeg

the scotch fillet was from 'Brian' the angus we raised.... he was exceptionally yummy !!!

We Justa had our 1st night making it waaay below freezing.  

• Sad 1

Yup - potential for our first snow accumulation of the season this Sunday night into Monday morning. Wintery mix is what the forecasters are calling it. Bastiches. I'm still not ready for winter.:picard:

• Like 1

Very pleased to get the mk 1 out of the Panel shop today with its new paint 

the infill part is now Audi silver white 

and I am way more happy with it than the pink !! The boss likes it too and doesn’t want me to sell it now !!!! 😡

58B70C4B-A681-4D34-8E95-40D830442884.jpeg

624DD051-E5A3-46D3-B5C0-5E2200B82EBE.jpeg

48A3FC88-C757-450B-B6F9-D33FE878EF31.jpeg

• Like 2

Great car, something I would like to see in my garage.......................................if I had room. always did like the different. And now you get to keep it. Great job.

I once owned a Messerschmitt.

• Like 1