Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

For anyone reading this and doing a slave cylinder swap . You need to remove the front backing plates to get at the 2 bolts holding the cylinder to the backing plate !! 

751EC476-0F94-44D7-BAA5-39D7CB718A6C.jpeg

FF27B8FE-0353-4B60-B575-99CBCFEEFD86.jpeg

And this is where 

I need some help !

the front brake shoes are different 

one has more pad material on it to the other ... the book says front is primary and back is secondary 

yet the pictures contradict this 

and my front ones I have one side with small front pad surface and on the other side large front surface !!

does anyone know which way they are supposed to be !!!👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Lookin good brother! :cheers:

thanks Wrongway, we are in full lock down!! delta is running crazy through nz, today the numbers where 51 and all over the place! so i guess i will be stuck at home for a while now:rofl:.... love it !!... but no money coming in is going to bite real quick !!!😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The brake shoe with the longer pad surface area is the primary shoe and is installed toward the front of the vehicle...The primary brake shoe lining should be a lighter color than the secondary brake shoe lining.... 

Looking good Kiwi...

16295532014101904824035793463431.jpg

16295532718161019062114375931754.jpg

16295646700904343687151137481277.jpg

16295647802362750287827480376102.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

For anyone reading this and doing a slave cylinder swap . You need to remove the front backing plates to get at the 2 bolts holding the cylinder to the backing plate !! 

751EC476-0F94-44D7-BAA5-39D7CB718A6C.jpeg

FF27B8FE-0353-4B60-B575-99CBCFEEFD86.jpeg

And this is where 

I need some help !

the front brake shoes are different 

one has more pad material on it to the other ... the book says front is primary and back is secondary 

yet the pictures contradict this 

and my front ones I have one side with small front pad surface and on the other side large front surface !!

does anyone know which way they are supposed to be !!!👍

You may want to do some more research on this, I believe we used to install the shoe with the shorter lining in the front on most cars but i think there is some exceptions

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

It was getting late in the day but I justA had to take her for a drive to test out the brakes ... I got 20 meters down the drive and could hear this big hissing sound !! The one dodgy tire I had in the front let go !! 

So I crawled back to the garage and pulled the sucker off ...

note to self ... don’t trust old tires that have visable cracks in the side wall !! Hahaha :rofl:

and its sunday beer o clock, time to go bbq some scotch fillet and spend some time with the boss..:cheers:

ABDD260F-F308-4898-A9A4-4F9C9B1A33FE.jpeg

Good job,looks great.

Compression definitely help making a engine sound crisp especially if you have a bit of a cam in it, low compression larger cam not so good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

At this rate, you'll be cruising for chicks whilst I'm still peering into my partially dismantled engine looking for the Pontiac hamster that makes it go around.

ah mate !!! this covid mess is going bad by the day, over 100 ppl now have it and the government has extended the lock down for us till Friday at least..... so i have all this time to do all the little bits and pieces !

one major issue now is i have only 3 wheels!!! the one tire that was the old spare decided to crap itself and its on a 8 lugger rim!!! the whole spare chassis has standard rims on it... which wont work on the 8 lugger drum! ... i cant get a tire shop to answer the phone, so i am stuck with the car on stands till a new wheel is acquired ! :rofl:

oh and i have a new problem!!! when i went for my little test drive and the tire went down, i got the car back into the garage and this morning i have a huge pool of trans fluid under it, looks to be coming from the bell housing !! 

• Sad 3

Oh that doesn't sound good. What would it be - a front seal? Dodgy torque converter? Might be a simple seal on the side for the various modulators & stuff.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Oh that doesn't sound good. What would it be - a front seal? Dodgy torque converter? Might be a simple seal on the side for the various modulators & stuff.

i goggled it and yes mate, sounds like front seal... i am pretty sure my trans is a super hydramatic like Dels' rag top 

so no torque converter but it does have a coupler that must have a seal in it. 

my plan is to get the car drive able, take it for a spin determine the trans condition and then make the call on full rebuild or justA seal replacement

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Wanna thank you Sir for the awesome pic's N details as you built this from a crumpled mess to this fine Pontiac.:bowdown:  For all those out there with your projects,  this thread is what it's all about.   Show us whatcha doing.

Well Thank you very much JustA :cheers:, its the very first car i have bothered to document its transformation, and i am really enjoying the input as i go along on the journey :dancingpontiac:

The car itself is a bloody awsume model to work on! everything is really clean for a 57 year old and very rust free too!.

and i feel way happier  replacing everything thats worn or rubber... justA in case of failure in future...( except that bloody tire i over looked!! :rofl: )

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Well Thank you very much JustA :cheers:, its the very first car i have bothered to document its transformation, and i am really enjoying the input as i go along on the journey :dancingpontiac:

The car itself is a bloody awsume model to work on! everything is really clean for a 57 year old and very rust free too!.

and i feel way happier  replacing everything thats worn or rubber... justA in case of failure in future...( except that bloody tire i over looked!! :rofl: )

You also adding tips like how to put the front grills together N such, helping anyone workin on the same project.  Wrongway has helped a bunch of people too. Thankz

• Like 2