Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Oh great, now I gotta visit 2 Kiwis in October.

Mind you, another Precious! We must gaze upon it and salivate!

• Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Here is a little catch for anyone rebuilding their carter carb, the edelbrock kit has a plunger seal that works for latter model units not a 1964 unit, my seal  is leather and a different shape , so the new seal doesn’t work 

I have had to order a whole accelerator plunger assembly 

7AF6350B-9261-43E6-913A-4F55028D3D7D.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Sad 2

Kiwi - have a look at this:

Legend has it that some Carters had a restrictor installed at the behest of Pontiac to ensure that their tri power setup gave more horsepower at high revs. The first pic is of your carb.

I also have a similar Carter and already have the rebuild kit - all I need is for the car to come back!20210614_165735.thumb.jpg.9d62b11dd32fc75ac996779d657a2a99.jpg1555054182_Screenshot_20210606-214049_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ba434043f5dfbece5b677edbb800ccaa.jpg482907627_Screenshot_20210606-214041_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.327ef9bfe10b56eb229f56d538ca3cf5.jpg

• Like 2

so you got me wondering, so mr google says it a hot idle compensator, that when the engine gets hot allows extra air into the motor and helps to cool the carb down again, and then shuts ...

from what i have read you need it for ac cars and hotter climates!!

• Like 2

I'd love to hear any thoughts that the guys might have on this topic.  Is it a myth, or is it really a restrictor, or is it actually what it's supposed to do?

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, Fitzy said:

Oh great, now I gotta visit 2 Kiwis in October.

Mind you, another Precious! We must gaze upon it and salivate!

Can someone get Fitzy a moist towelette please? :mod:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok further to the carb rebuild DONT buy the edelbrock kit if your rebuilding a carter afb!!! 

why...

there is a number of parts that are missing. they are....

accelerator plunger ! the edelbrock kit only has a seal compatable with the later model plunger assembly, and wont fit the brass carter plunger assembly.

the gaskets for the secondary air horns are not correct for the carter.

there is no replacement seal for the coke assembly to the fuel bowl assembly 

the base gasket is a open 4 barrel gasket when the carter needs a 4 hole gasket...

i found all this out by looking at the kit on rockauto... i had ordered a accelerator plunger from out new local speed shop, he came back to me and said there was none in the country and do i want him to order one from usa!!! i sad NO !

came home jumped on rockauto and found that i should have bought a COMPLETE kit from them

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=987394&cc=1350425&pt=5964&jsn=849

i paid $100 for the edelbrock kit and as you can see they are $47 plus $20 for freight to me here in nz!! boy some times i am such a dumb arse !!! 

i have now ordered the rockauto one... so i can get all the parts i need to correctly rebuild my carter! 😡

10 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

"beer is proof that God loves us."

yip he was a cleaver man!!! hahahahha:cheers:

• Haha 2

ah, fitzy you may want to pop into mangatainoka factory.... where the tui beer is made ... its really quiet a nice place !!!!:rofl:

Any you wonder why we love beer!!! hahahahha:cheers::rofl:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I'd love to hear any thoughts that the guys might have on this topic.  Is it a myth, or is it really a restrictor, or is it actually what it's supposed to do?

yeah i would be interested if you guys have any feed back on this too :cheers: surely we are not reinventing the wheel here! carters are as common as the round wheel !! hahaha:driving:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I've never heard of Tui beer, but I'll be sure to give it a nudge.

And just what am I supposed to do with a bunch of nubile bikini clad girls? Oh, wait a minute - I remember now.

sounds like you have a bad case of beer fog mate !!! hahaha:rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

No! I'll never give up singing Born To Be Alive! That normally gets rid of the women, leaving just beer and some really bad dance moves - a classic combination.

A bit of knowing me knowing you. From abba does the trick too :rofl:

• Haha 2