Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Wow - that's some nice fitment going on there. All your gaps look better than when the car was new. I read somewhere that back in the 60s, it was allowable for the chassis to be out of square by an inch, which is why there are endless slotted holes and shims to get everything right, if required. I also saw a car show on TV where some guys were prepping a car to show quality and inconsistent panel gaps were simply unacceptable. They messed around with the hinges and even welded in new metal where there was no other option. They would even add pot metal to shiny trim in order to extend it, if it was too short from the factory. Amazing stuff.

Anyway, lookin' good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

yip, its certainly autumn here in nz, you can see the cherry tree in the back ground telling me its time to dump my leaves !! 😡 

Best time of the year for picture shoot N build a large portfolio of your cars.  Sooo many beautiful/colorful backgrounds for your cars.  This is where calendar shots are born!   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

So on a 64 there is only 2 bolts holding the whole front clip onto the chassis, i undid these and move the whole front clip over till i had the diagonal measurements right.... now if your doing this .. i measured from the bolt on the fire wall that holds the fender on    ( top one) across to the bump stop bolt/ rubber on the radiator cross member on the opposite side.

i had already paralleled my hood with the cowl panel, so i knew that my hood was square to the body.... give or take a little that you can adjust the cowl panel... and they do move a bit !!

Gota remember, i am dealing with a car that clearly had a major frontal impact, AND it was built in 1964, so panel alignment  was never flash back then, mind you new cars are not any flasher !!! :rofl:

Once i am  happy with were it all is ......., ( and i am not there  yet) i ran out time today, i will drill a 1/8 hole in the hinges to mark were they need to stay so that i can refit it back in exactly the same location after i pull it off to paint. ( if you are dealing with a finished painted car, justA use a marker pen and scribe around your hinge  mounts... trust me, it will save you so much hair pulling !

i have also moved the 2 mounts over on the chassis to radiator cross member  and they will need to be re-calibrated ( flash kiwi  word for grind out the hole to make fit) :cheers::rofl: 

D8D1BE13-04D7-45FD-BC1B-7E5817E282E8.jpeg

89DA4565-9155-4070-8E4D-7D773CC9D397.jpeg

0039D524-5D90-42A9-BCB1-08F73091F008.jpeg

E2067055-8F48-4FE0-93EE-112BAFB6BAC4.jpeg

And looking more like a super cool wide tracker very day i work on her... so pleased with how she looks:dancingpontiac:

Very nice job, you are truly very multi talented and the amount of progress is amazing, I'm afraid it will take a bit longer for me to get to where you are.

Edited by Andy H
  • Like 2

Hey bro, sorry for the late response.  No I didn't actually replace my ignition switch. When I rewired my GP nobody could figure out all 9 pins. Even the techs at painless wiring could figure it out.  I've got all the schematics if you'd like me to send you pics of them. I didn't want to go after market so I bypassed the switch and came up with my own set up to keep the inside of the car looking stock 63'. Here's my set up bro.

Starting GP.MOV

Edited by Wrongway
  • Like 1

Kiwi, your body work is amazing man. Awesome gaps bro. The progress your making is inspiring. Keep up the great work bro!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Best time of the year for picture shoot N build a large portfolio of your cars.  Sooo many beautiful/colorful backgrounds for your cars.  This is where calendar shots are born!   

yes true mate, its a pretty time of year👍

6 hours ago, Andy H said:

Very nice job, you are truly very multi talented and the amount of progress is amazing, I'm afraid it will take a bit longer for me to get to where you are.

ah, its justA bit of fun, these cars are not rocket science, but i kinda try to get things right.... doesnt always work!, chipping paint is a real pita !, and no rush Andy, its justA our hobby aye :cheers:

50 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Kiwi, your body work is amazing man. Awesome gaps bro. The progress your making is inspiring. Keep up the great work bro!

thank Wrongway, its been a real test of my patience ! and i couldn't lift the hood on by my self so i had to wait till the son in law turned up to help me.... cant get the boss to help me she bangs on about having a crock back all the time, so best i dont make it worse !! hahaha :rofl: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

Hey bro, sorry for the late response.  No I didn't actually replace my ignition switch. When I rewired my GP nobody could figure out all 9 pins. Even the techs at painless wiring could figure it out.  I've got all the schematics if you'd like me to send you pics of them. I didn't want to go after market so I bypassed the switch and came up with my own set up to keep the inside of the car looking stock 63'. Here's my set up bro.

Starting GP.MOV 2.58 MB · 0 downloads

now thats pretty trick mate :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah bro, my gaps are horrible!!!! My center grill where the hood match's up is pushed out at least 1/2 of an inch. I'm not looking forward to lining up these panels lol. But looking at your panels I can see what it SHOULD look like lol.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Yeah bro, my gaps are horrible!!!! My center grill where the hood match's up is pushed out at least 1/2 of an inch. I'm not looking forward to lining up these panels lol. But looking at your panels I can see what it SHOULD look like lol.

oh, i didnt show you my nose cone! its not right... i will take some pictures next weekend, there is a gap from the hood to the cone, that should not be there..🙄

i was surfing trademe last night and came across a white 64 for sale, and noted how the nose cone fits tight to the hood.... and thought, mine doesnt sit that tight !!! grrs 🙄

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/pontiac/listing/3088466551?bof=Q0yych9P

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

oh, i didnt show you my nose cone! its not right... i will take some pictures next weekend, there is a gap from the hood to the cone, that should not be there..🙄

i was surfing trademe last night and came across a white 64 for sale, and noted how the nose cone fits tight to the hood.... and thought, mine doesnt sit that tight !!! grrs 🙄

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/pontiac/listing/3088466551?bof=Q0yych9P

Nice find!  Like the Pontiac's on the bottom of the page too.  TA's pullin 75,000.   WOW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

Nice find!  Like the Pontiac's on the bottom of the page too.  TA's pullin 75,000.   WOW

Prices have gone mad down here justA !

any old , classic, cool is going for 50 to 100k 

one of my neighbours justA payed 130 k for a big block 68 camaro , and I would call it a driver , certainly not show quality ! 

A 56 Chev coupe another mate is selling. For $125 k ... and it’s justA driver !

basically anything in tidy  condition is over 50 k now 

i cant even remember the last time I saw a 60s gto for sale full stop !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Prices have gone mad down here justA !

any old , classic, cool is going for 50 to 100k 

one of my neighbours justA payed 130 k for a big block 68 camaro , and I would call it a driver , certainly not show quality ! 

A 56 Chev coupe another mate is selling. For $125 k ... and it’s justA driver !

basically anything in tidy  condition is over 50 k now 

i cant even remember the last time I saw a 60s gto for sale full stop !

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::slap::cheers:

driving.gif

• Haha 1

Remember the junk we were forced to drive around in when we were youngsters? All my old cars were 50s, 60s & 70s and without question, all would now be called 'collectable,' or 'classic.' I owned Beetles, a Kombi, a Karmann Ghia, old Holdens, a heap of V8 Fairlanes, some Valiants, a Celica, an old FJ55 Landcruiser, an old Series 2A LandRover & a Falcon V8 hardtop amongst other less collectable stuff, and if I'd kept just SOME of them, I'd be retired now and working on the factory 421 2+2 Catalina that I just found here in Oz for $22k.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Remember the junk we were forced to drive around in when we were youngsters? All my old cars were 50s, 60s & 70s and without question, all would now be called 'collectable,' or 'classic.' I owned Beetles, a Kombi, a Karmann Ghia, old Holdens, a heap of V8 Fairlanes, some Valiants, a Celica, an old FJ55 Landcruiser, an old Series 2A LandRover & a Falcon V8 hardtop amongst other less collectable stuff, and if I'd kept just SOME of them, I'd be retired now and working on the factory 421 2+2 Catalina that I just found here in Oz for $22k.

oh mate !!! i KNOW🙄, hind site is a great thing!,( my last blue and white 56 chev, i sold for 17 k, then i saw it sold again 4 years latter for 60 k :unsure::rofl:...... having said that , i took that 17 k, spent 15 k of it on a orange 1972 rs camaro, and i still have it to this day.:drool::bowdown::cheers:... oh and this is nz dollars

i am about to go and do a job at Horopito auto wreckers,:bowdown: the old man who collected all the cars was one of the cleaver ones who saw into the future, and he saved every old car he could get his hands on, nothing to what scale most of you guys state side have seen , but for a little island like us that for many years only had a population of like 2 - 3 million people it was the only place to find a part for ANY car

http://www.horopitomotors.co.nz/

His Daughter Barbara and colin run the wreaking yard and motor shop ( super nice people) and they are keeping the legacy going..... i might post some pics when i go there and sort their new hot water system .

but back to your point Fitzy, DONT THROW ANYTHING AWAY .... all these old cars are worth lots of money... kinda like a retirement plan even!  

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I'd be retired now and working on the factory 421 2+2 Catalina that I just found here in Oz for $22k.

you should  grab it !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

how did you do that!!!!!!!,,, the little guy doing a burn out ???? 

He lives in my computer.  Doesn't come from a drop down list. That's a bad neighborhood.:rofl:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

No worries, I'll just bend over and swipe my card thru my arse cheeks and produce $22k. I'm back to work on Thursday and will be doing a 3 week overtime stint. If I win Lotto in the meantime, I'll be sure to grab that Catalina.

I sold my (sob!) Karmann Ghia for 3 grand, my TA22 Celica for $1500, my Kombi for $600, my Falcon hardtop for 3 grand, my immaculate FC Holden with a folder crammed with every receipt for all monies spent on the car from the previous owner for $600, my rustfree low mileage HZ Holden ute for $2k, my showroom condition last gen Supra for $8k...the torture goes on...What I WON'T be saying in the future is "wow, look at the prices of old Pontiacs - I used to have one, just about gave it away..."

Don't feel too bad about the Falcon......Never could fly right OR stick a landing,

nesting Falcon.jpg

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Yeah Kiwi, here's mine bro!

image.png

image.png

ok! and has it got a gap between it and the hood ?... my thought with my one is that its dropped down on the bracket thats holds the hood release hook.... i will take some pictures of what i am thinking is causing it mate and it may be the same with yours

• Like 1