Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Great read mate but no mention of adjustment of that air bypass, same with the carb shop link

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Mate, lookin' good. I want to paint under my hood and the engine bay as soon as the donk comes out. A most satisfying job, especially when visitors ask to see the engine and you feel proud every time you open 'er up and everything looks great.

I think I took too much heroin when I decided to paint my headers blue. Once they heat up a few times the colour should tone down somewhat.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Hew Kiwi, I have a question. Since you seem to own every object in the known universe, can you recommend a decent harmonic balancer pulley? Supercheap sell one for about 40 bucks but I'd rather something that will work more than once.

• Like 2

i haven't shown my wiring yet but there is this bloody ugly as horn rely that my main battery feed goes to then a second cable goes down to the new starter.... i am going to get rid of it... it ugly, its rusty, and i am sure i can do a much neater job.

And have a single main feed cable straight to my starter at the same time... i have a plan !!:woot:

19 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Hew Kiwi, I have a question. Since you seem to own every object in the known universe, can you recommend a decent harmonic balancer pulley? Supercheap sell one for about 40 bucks but I'd rather something that will work more than once.

whats wrong with your factory one?, i dont fancy aftermarket shit !

15 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i haven't shown my wiring yet but there is this bloody ugly as horn rely that my main battery feed goes to then a second cable goes down to the new starter.... i am going to get rid of it... it ugly, its rusty, and i am sure i can do a much neater job.

And have a single main feed cable straight to my starter at the same time... i have a plan !!:woot:

whats wrong with your factory one?, i dont fancy aftermarket shit !

got a remember this is my very first poncho Fitzy,,, i am learning like you mate...

super cheap are great for lots of things but those kids have no idea what they are selling you !!!

JustA clean up your stock steel one and reuse it :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Uh, no...I'll need to remove it when I tear down the engine. I'll be keeping the stock balancer, don't worry. I keep reading horror stories of cheap pullers failing, or stripping the threads whilst the balancer stays put.

2 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Uh, no...I'll need to remove it when I tear down the engine. I'll be keeping the stock balancer, don't worry. I keep reading horror stories of cheap pullers failing, or stripping the threads whilst the balancer stays put.

nah, dont over think it mate, it will come of piece of piss, if your worried, justA borrow one from a garage, in give the guy a box of beer

• Like 2

Hi Kiwi, I see you have your own lifts. I bought a portable lift that has about 64” length on each side. Can I lift car from side frame ok or does it need to extend all the way close to the wheels where there is a flat landing metal pad? Another words, is anywhere along the bottom rail ok? This is a picture taken from the tire store. It seems like they just caught the bottom rail up from the actual support pad. Thanks! Sorry, don’t know why pics load upside down 

D5E65EAE-C539-408A-8043-2DFC83269246.jpeg

2F27CB64-AB75-42D7-8184-E7071E3FCF68.jpeg

56F1E7C0-6C2A-4B67-93D3-29592B62B93F.jpeg

B6FC446A-2A5C-47C2-BAE6-76F1DF79E7A0.jpeg

Edited by Bonneville convertable64
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Hi Kiwi, I see you have your own lifts. I bought a portable lift that has about 64” length on each side. Can I lift car from side frame ok or does it need to extend all the way close to the wheels where there is a flat landing metal pad? Another words, is anywhere along the bottom rail ok? This is a picture taken from the tire store. It seems like they just caught the bottom rail up from the actual support pad. Thanks! Sorry, don’t know why pics load upside down 

D5E65EAE-C539-408A-8043-2DFC83269246.jpeg

2F27CB64-AB75-42D7-8184-E7071E3FCF68.jpeg

56F1E7C0-6C2A-4B67-93D3-29592B62B93F.jpeg

B6FC446A-2A5C-47C2-BAE6-76F1DF79E7A0.jpeg

Hi Del, i usually get the arms to sit on the big flat area where the rear trailing arm mounts and up front where the chassis turns 90 degrees inward behind the wheel. i see with your lift you may not be able to reach that far... and i am pretty sure your convertible will have the same chassis as my 2 door, 

she might flex a bit but its worth a try, justA once you lift her, dont open the doors.

also from your pictures i would be moving the hoist forward a bit, the front is the heaviest with your motor and all, so maybe center the hoist justA forward of the b pillar, lift a little and see how it behaves.

Hopefully the guys can give their thoughts on this too ???

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

got another issue some one may be able to help me with, my ignition switch is dodgee as i can justA bout find that spot in the key where its not sending power to my new starter motor, !! 😡

i have been onto ames, no replacement ignition switch, google search, found me next to zip.

does anyone know where i can buy a new 1964 Bonneville/ wide tracker ignition switch ?. its a 9 pin and 63-64 are the same.

not sure what you did Wrongway as i did read you changed your s ??? 🙄

• Like 1

It looks like the 9 pin is for cars with a/c, otherwise it's 7 pin.

Here's one on ebay, but he wants $215 for it, although it is NOS.1505024401_Screenshot_20210505-171318_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c1288f72cbd42b7594dcf36a9a0e91a9.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Here's a GM style 1915420148_Screenshot_20210505-172412_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.04cca03171a3306cfab28f3aac3c15a3.jpguniversal fit 10 pin from Speeway Motors for about $22!

thanks Fitzy, looks like i am best to make a universal one fit, 200 notes for a nos one !! yeah NO !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

You might just need a new barrel, like one from a local Parisienne or Impala, or even a Holden one might fit.

FYI I meticulously cleaned up all my switchwear (all had surface rust) and managed to keep everything working. You might try pulling the old switch out and fiddling with it. Could just be a loose connector on the back. Being low mileage, I wouldn't think it would have worn out already.

thats justA what i will do, 👍

• Like 2

The boss has had me painting all day , but I managed to get half a hour at the end of the day justA to find the lock seal bags with the hood hinge bolts and prep them with my favourite crc rust kill/ primer and get some satin black paint on them 👍

note the super expensive paint platform , that came with 24 beers 🍻🍻🍻:rofl:

F1154349-52C8-40A5-B3EB-76F7A9C8F020.jpeg

4F42C905-800A-4FC6-ADD0-26BAB2871A80.jpeg

9698F760-0A87-410C-A8B0-50156E43D225.jpeg

• Like 2

And today I got the hood on... what a major pain in the arse that was , so pleased it is only at primer stage .... 

NOTE TO ALL. Trial fit everything before you finish paint all you panels !!! 

I spent 1 minute bolting my painted hinges and primed hood on , then the best part of 2 hour moving every single front panel around to get it right !! 

At one point , I justA walked away and did something else, it was doing my head in how the hood hinges reacted to my adjustments .

i ended up measuring the front clip across each fire wall bolt to each hood bump stop and found I was out by the best part of 15mm/ half inch  

0B1DAA25-32A5-4800-B1DB-81A3FD119E9A.jpeg

829752A4-A69E-467E-BD96-DCBA4F1C83FB.jpeg

• Like 2

So on a 64 there is only 2 bolts holding the whole front clip onto the chassis, i undid these and move the whole front clip over till i had the diagonal measurements right.... now if your doing this .. i measured from the bolt on the fire wall that holds the fender on    ( top one) across to the bump stop bolt/ rubber on the radiator cross member on the opposite side.

i had already paralleled my hood with the cowl panel, so i knew that my hood was square to the body.... give or take a little that you can adjust the cowl panel... and they do move a bit !!

Gota remember, i am dealing with a car that clearly had a major frontal impact, AND it was built in 1964, so panel alignment  was never flash back then, mind you new cars are not any flasher !!! :rofl:

Once i am  happy with were it all is ......., ( and i am not there  yet) i ran out time today, i will drill a 1/8 hole in the hinges to mark were they need to stay so that i can refit it back in exactly the same location after i pull it off to paint. ( if you are dealing with a finished painted car, justA use a marker pen and scribe around your hinge  mounts... trust me, it will save you so much hair pulling !

i have also moved the 2 mounts over on the chassis to radiator cross member  and they will need to be re-calibrated ( flash kiwi  word for grind out the hole to make fit) :cheers::rofl: 

D8D1BE13-04D7-45FD-BC1B-7E5817E282E8.jpeg

89DA4565-9155-4070-8E4D-7D773CC9D397.jpeg

0039D524-5D90-42A9-BCB1-08F73091F008.jpeg

E2067055-8F48-4FE0-93EE-112BAFB6BAC4.jpeg

And looking more like a super cool wide tracker very day i work on her... so pleased with how she looks:dancingpontiac:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2