Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

49 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I liked JustA's comments. He's right, of course but I get uncomfortable when I see extra bits & pieces in an engine bay that could be done without.

JustA, re your 'bogging' problem. I'm imagining that when you floor the go pedal, all your engine vacuum goes to lunch, so all of a sudden there's plenty of fuel getting dumped in your engine but perhaps insufficient air until the engine gets some revs up to compensate for all the raw fuel. Does the tri power setup have additional vacuum componentry to alleviate this? Is there an effect on your ignition timing that might not be helping? 

On a past car of mine, once upon a time every time I needed extra power the engine would splutter and falter until I backed off the throttle pedal and it would run fine. I pulled that carby apart many times trying to find what was going on. It was faulty points and/or condenser. Once replaced, no more issues. Just something for you to consider, but I'm sure you've tried everything and are now at the 3am laying awake in bed stage trying to figure out what's going on in your engine.

Last year I switched up to the Pertronix thinkin it was in the distributor.  NOPE.   It's drivin me crazy for years.  Rebuilt the carbs when I first fired the motor in the car. It was fine.   Rebuilt a second time when my middle carb was leakin badly on the HOT motor and installed new bushings on the throttle plate shafts.  It was fine.  Dropped it off to have the custom exhaust built.  They claimed it wouldn't start  (BS)  and readjusted so they could start it and move it.  I WAS PISSED!!  Only took it to this Hotrod shop because I knew the exhaust guy.  Best their is, hands down.  Got in a huge fight with the owner over a bill he tried to hand me for screwin with MY car.  3 days before the Dream Cruise.  Was leaving the shop and jumped on it pulling into traffic and it bogged and completely died in traffic.  Lucky it started and I pulled right back into the shop.  WTF??  Back to gonna charge me to look at it.  FU.  Had to drive it home with 1/4 throttle 25mph tops mainly on the side of the road.  It starts fine....but after that....  Pulled the cap and the points are adjusted way to far apart.  Fires right up....won't rev.   WTF???  Plug wires wrong.  Instead of Pontiac counter clockwise, he had Chevy clockwise firing order.  IDIOT.  Fires, runs, slight bog has been there ever since. But getting worse.  At 1st thought it was too much gas.  Worked with that  THEORY for quite awhile.  Tried every adjustment, kickin in to early, kickin in waay late nothing seems to help.  Then thinking it's a lean problem with too much air entering intake through 3 carb openings.  Hard to get my head over the outside carbs to watch at full throttle to see gas going in.  The car starts N runs fine, cruises great esp now with the 200R4 overdrive, if I feather it through the bog its fine.  Stomp it an it bogs, then hold on to your ass N protect your face from the damn air freshener. 

driving.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.f85a4f60c08ab460971271d7d1a12b1f.png

To add to what JustA said, the Hurst His/Hers Dual Gate shifter was available as an optional automatic shifter for the '67 and '68 GTO only. Hurst also sold them in the aftermarket for awhile. They were also made available to the Hurst Oldsmobiles as well. Hurst no longer sells these shifters but you can buy them off the likes of eBay.

I was very fortunate to have my shifter plate to be autographed by Miss Hurst Shifter herself, Linda Vaughan, and legendary Hurst performance guru, Doc Watson back in 2008. Doc passed away in 2015.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

image.png.f85a4f60c08ab460971271d7d1a12b1f.png

To add to what JustA said, the Hurst His/Hers Dual Gate shifter was available as an optional automatic shifter for the '67 and '68 GTO only. Hurst also sold them in the aftermarket for awhile. They were also made available to the Hurst Oldsmobiles as well. Hurst no longer sells these shifters but you can buy them off the likes of eBay.

I was very fortunate to have my shifter plate to be autographed by Miss Hurst Shifter herself, Linda Vaughan, and legendary Hurst performance guru, Doc Watson back in 2008. Doc passed away in 2015.

i hate living on the other side of the planet! where is south of the equator MISS HURST SHIFTER 🙄

I Want my shifter signed too, and guess what mines a column stick :rofl:

• Haha 1

ok... so once again i have learnt something, Linda is a ikon of petrolhead isim ! Boy, a guy never stops learning! i justA googled her and what she has done for our hobby and sport:bowdown:

i am sorry guys but this lady is a legend ! i am in awe of her :)

Just now, 64 kiwi boni said:

ok... so once again i have learnt something, Linda is a ikon of petrolhead isim ! Boy, a guy never stops learning! i justA googled her and what she has done for our hobby and sport:bowdown:

i am sorry guys but this lady is a legend ! i am in awe of her :)

And for any chick, it pays to have a Pontiac tucked away :dancingpontiac:

so impressed ! what a nice lady! 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

JustA, see if this works...

Pontiac Triple carburators _ Trade Me Motors.html 633.76 kB · 4 downloads

yes good point about the boss, i might justA dip my toe in the  water and see if it gets bitten off or not ! hahaha:rofl:

Well, i had a go at buying the tri carb set up.... and missed out, it was a whole lot of fun, i even had the wife bidding against this one guy who clearly wanted them regardless of the price, i bided till, $1500 and said to the wife thats it i was done, she said "right now its my turn" hahaha:rofl:, she loves to bid on stuff!!! big time, so my plan worked !!! hehehe:rofl:, she pushed this guy all the way up to $2500 and i said nah, thats it no  more let him have them 😥

for $2500 i am sure i can buy a brand new fuel injection 4 barrel kit !..

but it was fun.:cheers:

Very frustrated with lack of time at the moment, i have all this brand new gear sitting waiting to install and most can be done in one single weekend with the 64 on the hoist, bushings, shocks, starter, brake hoses, slave cylinders, drive shaft, safety loop. 

spent this weekend installing a new shower for my daughter, and she really appreciates it, so that makes me happy, they have no extra money and the old shower was leaking and rotting the walls, so i fixed all of that and they have a nice new water tight shower.

The next 2 weeks are booked to get more work done at the beach, so its looking like 2nd week of April before i have a window of opportunity! 

my plan was to tow her into the garage for the last time and fire her up, and drive her for the first time....:unsure:

Really having trouble with ram air restorations not answering emails, as i have specially left the fenders off to make it nice and easy to fit the long branch headers i want to order from them,i will email the guys again and hopefully get a response. i have the coin ready to go, justA need them to lock in my order! very frustrating 🙄

76125E20-618B-4DC5-B9A2-B0A864D596FE.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

AND..... i have bent my work van again!

This time it wasn't a truck backing through the side of my van it was my son in laws fire wood trailer, not parked safely and it rolled down his drive way straight into ,the passenger side of my van, another bent door and front fender! while i was at their home doing the new shower installation!....

Moral of this story.... i should have been at home safely working on my Bonneville and it would never of happen!!:rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Well, i had a go at buying the tri carb set up.... and missed out, it was a whole lot of fun, i even had the wife bidding against this one guy who clearly wanted them regardless of the price, i bided till, $1500 and said to the wife thats it i was done, she said "right now its my turn" hahaha:rofl:, she loves to bid on stuff!!! big time, so my plan worked !!! hehehe:rofl:, she pushed this guy all the way up to $2500 and i said nah, thats it no  more let him have them 😥

for $2500 i am sure i can buy a brand new fuel injection 4 barrel kit !..

but it was fun.:cheers:

Very frustrated with lack of time at the moment, i have all this brand new gear sitting waiting to install and most can be done in one single weekend with the 64 on the hoist, bushings, shocks, starter, brake hoses, slave cylinders, drive shaft, safety loop. 

spent this weekend installing a new shower for my daughter, and she really appreciates it, so that makes me happy, they have no extra money and the old shower was leaking and rotting the walls, so i fixed all of that and they have a nice new water tight shower.

The next 2 weeks are booked to get more work done at the beach, so its looking like 2nd week of April before i have a window of opportunity! 

my plan was to tow her into the garage for the last time and fire her up, and drive her for the first time....:unsure:

Really having trouble with ram air restorations not answering emails, as i have specially left the fenders off to make it nice and easy to fit the long branch headers i want to order from them,i will email the guys again and hopefully get a response. i have the coin ready to go, justA need them to lock in my order! very frustrating 🙄

76125E20-618B-4DC5-B9A2-B0A864D596FE.jpeg

Glad you at least had fun bidding.  Yes you can get a Holley carb style injection set up for $1000.00.  Add bungs for air sensor in the exhaust, bolt the carb style injection on and wire it in to your programmer. Need high output fuel pump.  Trend seems to be installing in your gas tank N fire it up.   Sorry bout your headers, we all know the waiting game. You made your daughter happy...priceless.  A LIL here a LIL there, you'll get er done!!!

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2

Thanks JustA, its sunday night, i am tired, and sooo looking forward to going back to work tomorrow to get a rest!! hahaha:cheers:

i would do anything for my kids, and its justA the way i am. the cars, hell they are my hobby and justA that.

:dancingpontiac:

would a loved to get my hands on that tri carb set up.... but hay not meant to be.

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

One more note: Ram Air Restorations might be undergoing similar Covid dramas that PUI interiors are currently experiencing. There's a 40 week lead time for any PUI order, so best of luck with your headers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fitzy said:

One more note: Ram Air Restorations might be undergoing similar Covid dramas that PUI interiors are currently experiencing. There's a 40 week lead time for any PUI order, so best of luck with your headers.

yip i think you hit the nail on the head there mate. i will  preserver   :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

i have been looking for front wheel bearing kits for the drum brakes on the 64, does anyone know if the 61-68 chev ones are the same? , i have had a nz company quote me the chev ones saying they fit pontiac !

and looking on rock auto, they sell the bearing separately, but dont quote a oem part number, and i would like to get them before i go ahead and strip the drums down.:unsure: 

17 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i have been looking for front wheel bearing kits for the drum brakes on the 64, does anyone know if the 61-68 chev ones are the same? , i have had a nz company quote me the chev ones saying they fit pontiac !

and looking on rock auto, they sell the bearing separately, but dont quote a oem part number, and i would like to get them before i go ahead and strip the drums down.:unsure: 

Look on OPGI web site they sometimes have a listing of what other cars the part fit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

From Ames: as they advise, you should measure yours and send them the measurements to ensure the correct parts are sent.2038519477_Screenshot_20210317-085006_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.8ebca78b446d16cb255e0716e6c5601a.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

From Ames: as they advise, you should measure yours and send them the measurements to ensure the correct parts

Was Justa checkin Ames.....Good catch Fitzy.

• Like 1

So it looks like the best plan for wheel bearings is to remove one, note its part number and measurement.

what a pain in the arse!:unsure:

Having said that, i have managed to buy a few parts that simply do not fit 1964 Bonneville's thanks to me assuming.... best i pull a hub off i think! :rofl:

Fitzys layed down the challenge now to see who is going to drive their wide track first .... not sure if i can beat him with my lack of spare time.... BUT i will try!!!:cheers:

If i work,justA  7am till 6pm , eat only for 30 minutes, sleep for JustA 8 hours   i have 4 and a half hours spare per day.... minus beer drinking time.... four hours, siting on the crapper... 1 hour,,, listening  to the boss about her day....3 hours...

Hell i dont have a chance :stars:

Ah i have the answer !!!!😀

god i am a clever bugger!!:cheers:

i will eat my dinner, drink my beer AND listen to the boss banging on about her day WHILE on the crapper! :rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

No, no, no. No challenge here. We don't want you to be abused by your wife for 'not listening.' I am a constant source of disappointment to my partner because I forget everything she says. Perhaps she should be more interesting then. Let's keep it friendly and regale each other with how the car failed in some way, you know, pistons said "we're outa here," or electrical gremlins struck in the middle of a cross traffic turn, or a 'funny smell' is coming from under the car, or people are pointing at your car and you're loving it, except they look genuinely concerned for your safety, like flames coming out the back that you're not aware of. We have lots to endure before we brag about who hit the road first. Have another beer and remain calm...

Oh, and I tried to save time one morning (only ONCE) by having my coffee whilst on the crapper. I DO NOT recommend such a deplorable drop in personal standards, so you'll have to save time by working less.

Whoops - I forgot. A place like the Bearing Service Centre stocks just about every bearing in the known universe. They will need the part number AND a calliper measurement for both ID & OD. They are normally inexpensive, too.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Fitzy said:

No, no, no. No challenge here. We don't want you to be abused by your wife for 'not listening.

Too late for that one Fitzy :rofl:

We have lots to endure before we brag about who hit the road first. Have another beer and remain calm...

:cheers: too that

Oh, and I tried to save time one morning (only ONCE) by having my coffee whilst on the crapper. I DO NOT recommend such a deplorable drop in personal standards, so you'll have to save time by working less.

note to self... no hot drinks in the crapper !! haha:picard:

Whoops - I forgot. A place like the Bearing Service Centre stocks just about every bearing in the known universe. They will need the part number AND a calliper measurement for both ID & OD. They are normally inexpensive, too.

good point mate, still looks like i need to remove a hub to get the numbers off ther bearings, i was hoping that i could premediate the kits and have new ones on hand when i pull them out. 

Am pretty sure i can find a bearing co near me to supply replacements.

was JustA thinking that gm would have used a generic bearing in 64:unsure: 

• Haha 1

GM did some weird things in the 60s. Mechanical spec seemed to change each time the wind changed direction. It's a famous anecdote that one of the reasons the VW Beetle was so successful was that it evolved very slowly, but still essentially looked the same. Small, incremental changes whereas the Big 3 were banging out new models each year which meant retooling often. They believed that Mr & Mrs America wouldn't be seen dead in last year's model.

Anyway, good luck with those bearings. You'd think they'd interchange with fullsize Chev.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fitzy said:

GM did some weird things in the 60s. Mechanical spec seemed to change each time the wind changed direction. It's a famous anecdote that one of the reasons the VW Beetle was so successful was that it evolved very slowly, but still essentially looked the same. Small, incremental changes whereas the Big 3 were banging out new models each year which meant retooling often. They believed that Mr & Mrs America wouldn't be seen dead in last year's model.

Anyway, good luck with those bearings. You'd think they'd interchange with fullsize Chev.

interesting thing Fitzy was the bearing co i asked said, that 61-67 full sizes chev was the same, so i cross checked with rock autos listing and sure enough, same parts numbers !

was kindA hoping a wide tracker here had already found that out for me ! haha:cheers: 

• Like 2