Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

On 2/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, Last Indian said:

I hear ya! Iā€™m really bummed because I JustA saw that Mr Potato Head is no more! Real! Now it Potato Head neutral gender! No kidding!

Latest News !!!! i justA hear on the radio that the company has done a u turn and Mr and Mrs Potato head will stay as is!!:stars:

aka common sense prevailed !!!:rofl:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Because the sky is falling in here (pre cyclonic rain is set in all day, so I get to work on The Car) I had time to consider the Potato Head fiasco. Let me ask this:

If we all think the gender neutral decision was a joke, and if everyone we know feels the same, and their friends feel the same, how the hell do these ridiculous decisions get passed into law? What happened to democracy where the majority get to say what's what? How do a bunch of psychobabble goons get together and froth at their mouths and manage to get this sort of crap enacted? The same way that JustA's "cross dressing fags" get permission to use the ladies - the fringe dwelling minority jerks who have NOTHING in their lives are the ones making the rules? Really???

Oh...better stay on topic...New whitewall tyres: nothing flash, but will look nice once mounted on the Torqs. I was sure to buy tyres with the correct whitewall height. You know how whitewall height differed thru the years? Well, about an inch high is considered appropriate for the mid 60s. I took a pic of THIS tyre, because of the obvious scuff marks on the white portion. I scrubbed it with Autosol chrome polish and finished it with extra cut & polish. You're looking at it pre treatment - looks much better now.20210301_115540.thumb.jpg.fa9ca61b405137e0f971bf97b29fbf4c.jpg

• Like 2

Dumb arse guide to buying points off rock auto, check what you have BEFORE you order them ! ahhaha:rofl:

Ā so i had jumped on rock auto and ordered points for my stock 64 bonni dizzy, and didnt even look at what i had.. i assumed !!Ā 

Bad move, attached is pictures.... the points i needed have the condenser attached!Ā wtf, i am a Pontiac virginĀ šŸ™„... i am learning as i go along... ( and enjoying it too šŸ‘)Ā 

D94F1946-71CA-44EF-A5AF-2E26815E84A9.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Back in the day, the points and condenser were separate items and not physically attached to each other. You had to mount them and attach the lead from the condenser to the points.

Today, I don't bother with points, condenser, or dwell. I have a Pertronix Igniter II kit - it's now the Igniter III kit - in my stock OEM non-HEI distributor. No more physical points to wear out!

Here is Australian ad for one:Ā Ā http://www.pertronix.com.au/ignitor3.html

Ā 

yes Frosty, that was an option, but i will add them or even a whole new distributor later once the car is on the roadĀ šŸ‘Ā 

• Like 1

what do you guys think of this triple carb set up, is it worth thinking about for the 389 ?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/carburation-induction/listing/3004279378?bof=gT3vCrOV

• Like 1

It's definitely an awesome piece. A set-up like that can runĀ close to $2k USD. So it's definitely Pontiac eye candy pure and simply. If you got the wallet for it, I'd say go for it. Just be prepared to justify your actions to the missus.

The biggest trick is keeping all three carbs properly tuned. Justa as tri-power set-up on his 421.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

what do you guys think of this triple carb set up, is it worth thinking about for the 389 ?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/carburation-induction/listing/3004279378?bof=gT3vCrOV

Say's the page can't be found both times I triedĀ  to look at it.

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It's definitely an awesome piece. A set-up like that can runĀ close to $2k USD. So it's definitely Pontiac eye candy pure and simply. If you got the wallet for it, I'd say go for it. Just be prepared to justify your actions to the missus.

The biggest trick is keeping all three carbs properly tuned. Justa as tri-power set-up on his 421.

:willy_nilly:

4 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Say's the page can't be found both times I triedĀ  to look at it.

:willy_nilly:

It's a complete tri-power set-up for $950. Only thing that appears to be missing is it isn't painted Pontiac blue.

JustA, see if this works...

Pontiac Triple carburators _ Trade Me Motors.html

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

yes good point about the boss, i might justA dip my toe in theĀ  water and see if it gets bitten off or not ! hahaha:rofl:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Pontiac Triple carburators _ Trade Me Motors.html 633.76 kB Ā· 1 download

yes good point about the boss, i might justA dip my toe in theĀ  water and see if it gets bitten off or not ! hahaha:rofl:

Totally worth the continued verbally abuse you'll end up getting. Since you're married, the only time you take your foot out of your mouth anyway is to swap leather, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck mate! We're all cheering you on!Ā :cheers:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Pontiac Triple carburators _ Trade Me Motors.html 633.76 kB Ā· 1 download

Yep. All there.Ā  Vac lines for brake booster on linkage side.Ā  PCV and distributor vac lines, and the choke tubes look ok on the other side.Ā  Fuel lines are all intactĀ too.Ā  Whats missing is the trans bracket that allows you to hook up the trans kick down and throttle linkage.Ā  I had a very hard time finding one.Ā  Ended up using a throttle bracket and welding up what I needed for the trans.Ā  Frosty is right, that set up would be around the $2000 mark here.Ā  But as always, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. Looks like only 1 bidder so the price war has not begun.Ā  I would watch it and maybe bid at the end.Ā  Ā All that said....Been driving the GTO for may years and still can't work out the BOG when the outside carbs kick in.Ā  Have tried everything.Ā  Ā I can feather it past the bog, but can't JUSTA stomp it to the floor.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Yep. All there.Ā  Vac lines for brake booster on linkage side.Ā  PCV and distributor vac lines, and the choke tubes look ok on the other side.Ā  Fuel lines are all intactĀ too.Ā  Whats missing is the trans bracket that allows you to hook up the trans kick down and throttle linkage.Ā  I had a very hard time finding one.Ā  Ended up using a throttle bracket and welding up what I needed for the trans.Ā  Frosty is right, that set up would be around the $2000 mark here.Ā  But as always, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. Looks like only 1 bidder so the price war has not begun.Ā  I would watch it and maybe bid at the end.Ā  Ā All that said....Been driving the GTO for may years and still can't work out the BOG when the outside carbs kick in.Ā  Have tried everything.Ā  Ā I can feather it past the bog, but can't JUSTA stomp it to the floor.

Thanks justA šŸ‘

I will ask about the bracketĀ 

and yes ..... I have bit of a plan for my bidding šŸ˜Ž

frosty , the boss is on at me all the timeĀ 

mostly about why I am spending soo much time on the Bonnie, but I am about to gain some brownie points for doing a new shower for the daughter this weekend so thatā€™s my window of opertuneityĀ šŸ˜œ

and having brownie points is over rated !! Way more fun burningĀ Ā them as fast as you can hahahaĀ :rofl:

• Haha 2

Yeah Fitzty, i justA like the idea of tri carbs, i would feel a lot better about it if i get some guidance on tuning them.:cheers:

oh and i have the ames catalogue on my desk top... i will have a peek:cheers:

• Like 1

I had a twin carb VW Karmann Ghia many years ago (another car I should have kept) and a Uni-Syn was the device used to balance the carbs. Really, life is too short to be bent under the hood fiddling & swearing with the intricate linkages and multiple adjustments to get the thing to run right.Ā 

I insisted on lowering my car and will put up with it's shortcomings, so you go your own way. Good luck!Ā 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I just found these, if it helps...

20210309_182448.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-182300_Gumtree.jpg

OMG.. This is great.:lol2:Ā  Ā Check out what he is using for the throttle cable bracket.Ā  A plug wire loom.Ā :slap:

That fuel line plumbing is NOT factory and completely F'd up.Ā  Good way to burn down your pride N joy.Ā  The themostate housing appears wrong as well, facing the wrong direction.Ā  Most Pontiac have upper hose to the right side of the radiator.Ā Ā RUN, don't walk away from this one esp at that price.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i asked about the kick down bracket, and it was on a manual car so no bracket:unsure:

Still need to hook up your throttle cable, but you could use the one off your intake.Ā  Appears to be factory air cleaners.Ā  These are very expensive.Ā  I have cheap ones that came with my motor.Ā  I would check these out further.Ā  Looks like you have a good setup there to bid on buddy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Still need to hook up your throttle cable, but you could use the one off your intake.Ā  Appears to be factory air cleaners.Ā  These are very expensive.Ā  I have cheap ones that came with my motor.Ā  I would check these out further.Ā  Looks like you have a good setup there to bid on buddy!

hmm, you make me feel a way lot better about the tri carbs,,, and hay you only live once !! so bugger it i am going for itĀ :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone educate me on what a His & Hers shifter is? I know Frosty & JustA have them installed but I'm intrigued. Surely, allowing the missus to shift gears is playing Russian roulette with your car!

• Haha 2