Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

This is tantamount to being gospel: he's right guys. When this crap is over, the US is gonna go nuts and people will be spending for the sake of it.

I tried to find some tradespeople to do some work at my place: HA! I ended up Youtubing it and doing it myself, because all the Aussie tradies are inundated with work due to our government splashing money around as stimulus, and they can't be bothered will piddly stuff like mine. I'm sure we don't actually HAVE that much money, it must be getting printed at a rate of knots a la Nazi Germany, and we know how they ended up.

And now, back to our regular programming.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

38 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

This is tantamount to being gospel: he's right guys. When this crap is over, the US is gonna go nuts and people will be spending for the sake of it.

I tried to find some tradespeople to do some work at my place: HA! I ended up Youtubing it and doing it myself, because all the Aussie tradies are inundated with work due to our government splashing money around as stimulus, and they can't be bothered will piddly stuff like mine. I'm sure we don't actually HAVE that much money, it must be getting printed at a rate of knots a la Nazi Germany, and we know how they ended up.

And now, back to our regular programming.

fitzy, your bang on mate, here in nz the government has pumped millions into the economy to prevent a recession, what it has done, thanks to no covid is made everyone go out and spend money.... your seeing it in oz now too... 

wait till usa gets a taste of the cash, :stars:... 

what is happening here is we cant get product, demand is out striping supply.

its simply going crazy, and there is only 5 million of us!

when usa moves out of this, your going to see things go crazy. people are going to do justA what has happened here!..

here are some of the things that i know about..

You cant buy a caravan, jet ski,motor bike, boat, holiday home, sporting equipment, building materials are in short supply, gas fire manufacturers cant  to get components to build their fires,

what is coming in to our little country's 4 ports cant keep up and ships are having to wait up to ten days before they can be unloaded!!

crack up aye .

and thats justA the shit i know about.   :willy_nilly:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

17 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

We have already had our 2nd stimulus checks.   Same here, you can't buy appliances,  water heaters are a huge problem.  Replace a broken fridge??? Not gonna happen.  Even floor models are gone.  Our government is more worried about letting cross dressing fags use women's bathrooms, play on the girls sports teams, use the women's locker room and showers.  

Copy that times two buddy! Don’t forget letting anybody in to the county JustA because they want to! No waiting! JustA come on in! Drug dealers, rapist, murderers, you name it! No I.D. Required! 

• Sad 2

Oh man, that is FUNNY! That's gotta be one of the funniest things I've ever read, but it's true. If you're a middle aged white man, you're at the bottom of the pile.

Step aside ladies, Bubba needs to put his lipstick on!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Oh man, that is FUNNY! That's gotta be one of the funniest things I've ever read, but it's true. If you're a middle aged white man, you're at the bottom of the pile.

Step aside ladies, Bubba needs to put his lipstick on!

We have the 1st black wanna be women V Pres.  Can't figure out the Indian or Asian background she's most ashamed of.  And now she can't claim to be the 1st women V Pres because IT's neutral gender.  :picard:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JUSTA6 said:

We have the 1st black wanna be women V Pres.  Can't figure out the Indian or Asian background she's most ashamed of.  And now she can't claim to be the 1st women V Pres because IT's neutral gender.  :picard:

I hear ya! I’m really bummed because I JustA saw that Mr Potato Head is no more! Real! Now it Potato Head neutral gender! No kidding!

• Sad 1

Fitzy, this is a road runner starter made here in nz 

the motor is a USA made denso unit and the front mounting plate is a USA patterned item 

and it is wayyyy smaller than the stock unit 

so I expect that once I get my headers there will be no clearance issues and I should have many happy years of starting :dancingpontiac:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Funny you say that last Indian , justA this moment herd that on the radio !! 

Wtf !!! Really ! Mr or mrs... who cares ! 

So kids in future won’t call the neighbour mr Jones ??? Will it justA 

be “hay Jones how’s your day !!! “

What bs ! :rofl:

Back on topic 😀

my little present too myself arrived today !!!!

7BCEFEFC-B245-4CDA-A65C-1524A220D5FE.jpeg

Beep   Beep    Made by Acme?:lol2:

• Thanks 1

Matter of fact is i have all these brand new parts ready to go... 

New drive shaft, front springs, correct lower a arm bushings, new kyb shocks, all rebuilt power brake unit and master cylinder, new slave cylinders, Teflon brake hoses, drive shaft loop, coil, air filter, fan belts, rad hoses, custom fuel filter, a-n Teflon fuel line and fittings.... and no bloody weekend free to get the 64 in on the hoist !!! the next free weekend is 20th march ! grrrs ...

whats a petrol head to do to get his fix:drool:haha.

oh and oil, and engine flush as i intend to take Last indians advise and clean the engine out of that mess that you have all seen..

and i know Fitzy was asking about my compression tests, i think its like Last Indian said and because my 389 has been sitting for so long there is no oil around the rings. i will be putting a drop of oil down each bore and doing another test justA to see what compression i get with a wet bore test, so to speak. 

i do know that this car really has not been touched with 89 thousand miles on the clock, and what Last Indian spotted with top end muck, showing that the car must of had lots of short runs to make that build up, which i agree with, as the bottom end when i had the sump off was pretty clean.

i would really have liked to know the cars history but as it was a insurance sale, i have missed out on what its life was in California. the muck in the top of the engine tells me it was a little old lady who took it to church on Sundays. :rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Fitzy, this is a road runner starter made here in nz 

the motor is a USA made denso unit and the front mounting plate is a USA patterned item 

and it is wayyyy smaller than the stock unit 

so I expect that once I get my headers there will be no clearance issues and I should have many happy years of starting :dancingpontiac:

I'll keep that in mind, too. I'm hoping my own Doug's headers will fit around the stock starter. If not, I'll get some details from you.

'Sigh...' With so much going on at my joint I keep walking past my Pontiac and it's covered in dust and looking forlorn, so after much deliberation have decided to send it off to a recommended mechanic who will do all the gnarly mechanical work in his properly equipped workshop. If I don't do this, I'll end up being too old to enjoy it! I will, however keep the engine & engine bay to myself: that's the sort of stuff I want to be meticulous with and be able to take my time. The ol' girl is still here - now waiting for mechanic to find time to slot it in to his workload. My new Maxxis whitewalls have turned up and my Torq Thrust wheels should be here by the end of March.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I'll keep that in mind, too. I'm hoping my own Doug's headers will fit around the stock starter. If not, I'll get some details from you.

'Sigh...' With so much going on at my joint I keep walking past my Pontiac and it's covered in dust and looking forlorn, so after much deliberation have decided to send it off to a recommended mechanic who will do all the gnarly mechanical work in his properly equipped workshop. If I don't do this, I'll end up being too old to enjoy it! I will, however keep the engine & engine bay to myself: that's the sort of stuff I want to be meticulous with and be able to take my time. The ol' girl is still here - now waiting for mechanic to find time to slot it in to his workload. My new Maxxis whitewalls have turned up and my Torq Thrust wheels should be here by the end of March.

fitzy, the thing with your 65 is your steering box is it out the front like a gto, wrongway and my widetrackers have the steering box smack bang by the 2 center exhaust ports.... way tighter and then there is the starter motor right behind that too.. hence my wanting a better starter motor... mate wait till i get the 64 on the hoist and take some pics of the space that i have with the new starter..... its like sharrr wing! hahaha:dancingpontiac:

• Like 2

Dude, I'll laugh if all your ring gear teeth sprinkle down on you like metal snowflakes when you add the juice to the Roadrunner! 57 year old component sez hello to brand spanking new age 'kick in the guts' tech!

Here are pics of my steering box location-a long way back, against the firewall.

I was assured by Ames AND the Doug's website that these headers WILL fit. The only minor concern is that if the car was column shift, there's a minor component that will foul the headers. I can't remembef what it was: my car is floor shift, so why waste valuable brain cells remembering irrelevant facts.

Eagle eyed newbies who are looking at these photos are probably thinking "why does that mad Australian have chicken wire in his engine bay?"

It's there to make sure that any lost horespower is snared in the wire and fed back into the engine. All Australian cars have this feature...

20210227_175451.thumb.jpg.160531de073baceac8df0645f8204611.jpg20210227_175425.thumb.jpg.e73d37c13c0d88fe0b47fdf2738816f8.jpg

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Andy H said:

I agree totally. but for checking cables wires and connections in circuits with some amperage draw this works good and also to determine if there is problem in the positive or negative side and if nothing else to rule out the wiring and connections, for temp gauge and fuel gauges in these older cars and a bunch of other things in newer cars a ohm meter is probably something you need to use.

We could probably start a whole new tread about this like 64 kiwi boni mentioned earlier since its a pretty lengthy subject,

Absolutely! JustA to be clear I use a ohmmeter all the time! I don’t know how you could do electrical work without one! I had a huge Fluke, it was an oscilloscope that has more functions than I knew how to use, these run several thousand dollars, so I ended up giving it to a good friend who does way more electrical work than me and I bought a smaller one for myself. But the point is you really need a meter or your JustA going to chase your tail no matter what or how you look for your problem!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Didn’t get much done this weekend 

was away with the club on a run 

but did get rad hoses fitted I wasn’t happy with the top hose passing over the top of the power steering pump, you couldn’t get to the cap easily 

So I have made a custom hose that goes around it:dancingpontiac:

And a new set of fan belts, wacked in the new air cleaner.... all nice easy stuff considering i aint feeling that flash this sunday, some of the boys in my club are pita. :stars: 

DE7FA599-4662-432A-95BF-43C95EAF4AE1.jpeg

New blue coil installed 

and I can now fill the cooling system 

4E3C2182-A6D5-4229-911E-7FFE2767F4DD.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

The rebuild power brake unit went on 

and the master cylinder ! 

But watch for the aftermarket master cylinders with the eyelet circlip, I was warned it needs to be replaced with the plain end circlip, as you can see here in the pictures , as  the eyelet one will cut the front seal on the booster !! 

A9BB1E79-F7A9-4CED-B985-FF060FEE8EE4.jpeg

3B46291E-5B2B-434D-B863-80A5D865D19F.jpeg

E7A51A4F-6241-4503-A8B6-15D9A16D2B74.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Dude, I'll laugh if all your ring gear teeth sprinkle down on you like metal snowflakes when you add the juice to the Roadrunner! 57 year old component sez hello to brand spanking new age 'kick in the guts' tech!

Ah Fitzy... who cares! :)if the ring gear shits itself, i will justA pop the trans out and wack a new flex plate in there... having said that, i have never heard of one doing that, guess there is always a first time aye !! Hahaha :cheers:..

I will ensure i check all my clearances first and make sure i have it shimmed correctly 👍

i really thought your 65 was like the gto and the box was out the front !! i was wrong!! :unsure:

i am waiting on ram air restorations  state side to tell me they have new stocks of their long branch headers, as thats the way i am going with, i will get them hp coated here by my mate who has the local hpc shop:cheers:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Absolutely! JustA to be clear I use a ohmmeter all the time! I don’t know how you could do electrical work without one! I had a huge Fluke, it was an oscilloscope that has more functions than I knew how to use, these run several thousand dollars, so I ended up giving it to a good friend who does way more electrical work than me and I bought a smaller one for myself. But the point is you really need a meter or your JustA going to chase your tail no matter what or how you look for your problem!

Completely agree with your comments Last Indian, 👍would be really cool if we had a auto sparky who would start a thread on basic testing for our Pontiacs, I really know bugger all.! 

• Like 1

Kiwi, I gotta ask: did you have the master cylinder rebuilt simply for peace of mind or was it in poor shape? My own car came from the States with brand new shoes (asbestos requirement-old shoes had to be disposed of and asbestos free ones fitted before arrival in Oz) and after I adjusted & flushed & bled the system, they are really good. Of course, it bothers me that 2 tonnes of iron & steel is dependant on drum brakes through a single system, in other words if they go to lunch, I'm supposed to rely on the parking brake to pull me up! I'm thinking that the very least I should do is sort the master cylinder and flex hoses.

You could probably retrofit a dual braking system (not just the dual master cylinder) but it sounds like a complex solution. Maybe I'll just keep a little extra distance between me and the crushable modern car in front of me and keep a St Christopher (patron saint of travellers) figurine on the dash.

Fitzy , it’s for my own peace of mind, to go through the whole brake system really isn’t expensive , so I justA went “what the hell” do it !

The master cylinder was cheap , the 3 brake hoses in Teflon where expensive , but for drum brakes that will get hot , the Teflon hoses will not expand with heat .

And I did all the steel lines as I had the body off and it was really easy , and the tube was cheap too, once I fit the new slave cylinders and mill the drums, have the shoes rebuilt , I know my system is 100% and it will pass compliance when I go to road register her too 🍻

• Like 2