Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

44 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks Kiwi - I was hoping for an angled setup but that one might work just as well. Your carby kit is the same one I got from Ames. I like how they included a stubby of beer with yourย kit - mine was missing that vital component.

yeah wasnt it nice of rockauto to send me a ice cold, db export33ย :rofl::cheers:๐Ÿ˜‹

46 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I'm about to place another parts order with Ames, this time I want one of those louvredย chrome air cleaners that the 2+2s came with. Anyone had any experience with one of these? It looks like it'll flow a bit better than the factory can but I imagine it's more show than go, but that's okay with me. I'll be spending a lot more time looking at my car than actually driving it.

And I just realised that I have hijacked your thread once again. Apologies.

oh thats nice Fitzy:cheers:, looks very low in the filter department compared to the one next to it, but the price is cheap!!ย 

best you post some pictures of it on the 389 when you get itย ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

And I just realised that I have hijacked your thread once again. Apologies.

You will need to bring lots of beer when one comes to the land of kiwis! as punishment for thread sinning :):rofl:... or a passenger side mirror will do as an alternative hahahaha:cheers:

Having said that ! i see Queensland is i lock-down again!, hell most of oz is in lock down! again thanks to the delta covid,ย hope this bs is over with by October when you want to come over here!!๐Ÿ™„, you certainly dont want to be locked up in covid miq for 2 weeks each side of the boarder!!! ย stuff that !!๐Ÿ˜ก

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Yes mate, we are reluctant to book tickets just yet but am ever hopeful of coming over there and making total nuisances of ourselves. Just get that pizza oven ready, dude. Oh, and as much as I love headers, I'd like pepperoni but without extra headers.

You reckon US$189 is cheap for an air cleaner? I'm buying it as a treat to myself for slogging through so much overtime this year. And yes, I'll be sure to bring you a nice new shiny mirror.

• Thanks 1

Wow - your trims are in such good condition. Mine were salvageable so I cut myself new cards from MDF and attached the old metal top plate and trim, but it's harder than you'd think to cut them right. In the end, I got so fed up fiddling and recutting holes that I just ordered a new set. They are supposed to be ready 'early August' but the year wasn't stipulated.

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

ย oh and i have blown any browny points i have with the boss again:rofl:... mines certainly not like notalltheres boss!!:bowdown:

Did you serve baked headers or cheese and pepperoni pizza with double headers? Were you fortunateย just to be disemboweled?ย :rofl:

I wonder what his new purchase is, that requires a trailer being towed by a Ram truck? It's probably another car - he only has 9. Pfft! What a loser - only 9.

• Haha 2

Currently have 14 ๐Ÿป:rofl:ย I have only shown ya 9 babies to dateย 

the new toys are something you will know in an instant mate ๐Ÿป.... but thatโ€™s not till tomorrow.... today I have to drive 2 hours to pick up a chair for the boss and currently sitting out side a wool shop that the boss wanted to look in !!

thats what happens when I have no brownie points left ๐Ÿ™„

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, Fitzy said:

I wonder what his new purchase is, that requires a trailer being towed by a Ram truck? It's probably another car - he only has 9. Pfft! What a loser - only 9.

ย 

On 7/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Currently have 14 ๐Ÿป:rofl:ย I have only shown ya 9 babies to dateย 

I am such an amateur! I only own 4 and the wife owns 3. I own the oldies and she owns the newbies (for the most part).

I am so not worthy!ย 

image.png.51c7ee8aca9694c577d3b7c9ede1ff1f.png

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

ย 

I am such an amateur! I only own 4 and the wife owns 3. I own the oldies and she owns the newbies (for the most part).

I am so not worthy!ย 

image.png.51c7ee8aca9694c577d3b7c9ede1ff1f.png

hmmm. my wife would not agree with you frosty!! she thinks i am mad, and quote"" what the f --kย are you doing with all these cars???

i reply.... its your retirement home fund!!ย 

she goes, but your going to live a long time..

ย i go ... nope!ย 

she goes why??

because i justA knowย :rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

Frank's Pontiac Parts might have one. What about OPGI or Restoparts? Nothing on eBay? I just had a look at mine- totally different.ย  There were a lot of changes between 64 and 65.

There is a place Stateside called The Big Garage. Apparently, he has several GPs there, but he won't answer any of my emails. Perhaps you could use one of our US friends to act as an intermediary? He probably won't ship overseas directly, for whatever strange reason. If he has some GPs, perhaps he'll have some Bonnies too.

• Like 2

When you get a sec, have a read of this-an interesting overview of the Carter. I researched the secondaries top flap: a feature I've never seen before.ย 

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/tech/carburetor-classic-the-carter-afb-has-it-really-been-63-years/

Yes, I had read this one , itโ€™s a really good explanation of the afb ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

ย that little T is a bi-metal strip that opens when the carb is hot and lets more air in to stop a over rich situationย 

I see yours has that too ๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Yes, I know. It'll be 50/50 as to how successful our trip will be in October.

Hey, that Carter topic: when I was inspecting my carb, the secondary top flap I was referring to is that extra weighted shiny steel valve that blocks both secondary venturis and only opensย up in sync with the mechanical linkage that controls the secondary butterflys. That's the feature I was talking about - I've never seen that before. Does yours have it? You must because it's described in that article. If I was home I'd send you a pic. My old Holleys never had such a thing.

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Yes, I know. It'll be 50/50 as to how successful our trip will be in October.

Hey, that Carter topic: when I was inspecting my carb, the secondary top flap I was referring to is that extra weighted shiny steel valve that blocks both secondary venturis and only opensย up in sync with the mechanical linkage that controls the secondary butterflys. That's the feature I was talking about - I've never seen that before. Does yours have it? You must because it's described in that article. If I was home I'd send you a pic. My old Holleys never had such a thing.

Yes !

now I know what you mean !

its a double flap with weights on it above the secondary butterflyโ€™s ayeย 

11 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Yes !

now I know what you mean !

its a double flap with weights on it above the secondary butterflyโ€™s ayeย 

A pair of attached weights help time the opening of the auxiliary valve and close it once the secondaries are no longer in use.ย  The size and shape of the weights, and even the angle of attack on original AFBs could be different from engine to engine, and this is one reason why any new off-the-shelf carburetor usually requires some extensive tuning to run as well as an OEM carburetor did.ย  Even so, the weighted flap is most assuredly not easily adjustable, so those interested in more serious street/strip performance may be advised to step up to the later AVS-style Edelbrock, or original Carter AVS, with its adjustable secondary air flap.

another words Fitzy, if your going to build a stroker engine, you will need a custom carb, the stock one wont cut the mustard... but from what i read, the oem afb will be prefect for stock application

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ever feel you have been ripped off ?ย 

I live in a town that has justA one exhaust shop that can flare 2 1/2 inchย  tube .

i got the guy to flare 2 x 6 inch long pieces of mild steel tube to suit the long branch headers .... $96 bucks ! i think i just contributed to his retirement fund!!ย 

I got ripped ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก

but I have no choice short of driving a hour to the next exhaust shop...ย 

So for the next few hours I will fume and try not to think about it !!!ย 

24725530-03DB-454E-93B4-F38EE63D3C44.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Sad 3