Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

And oh look !! another day of lock down and more progress!! 

super excited to be getting my first covid jab tomorrow!! :rofl:.....

but for now............ its............!!!

BEER O CLOCK :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Glad your finally gettin the 1st poke.  Your fab N welding skills are mad.  Your making soooo much progress.

dont  look too close at my tig welding JustA.. i need more practice and learn how to set my current properly, and what to to do with my tungsten..... BUT ! its such a small concentrated flame and bugger all heat, its perfect for panel steel !!! 👍

where as the mig is perfect for plug welds up side down in tight spots like the installation of those sub floor mounts👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

here you can see the chassis mounting points justA behind the rear wheels where the support is missing from when who ever replaced the trunk floor 

missed putting them back in 

3E1B4982-577F-495A-83F7-C2EE82B46150.jpeg

C2DB5CD9-8BCC-46DE-813A-16A98DD35F2C.jpeg

And here is the new mounts in position 

I justA plug welded them into place and bolted up a factory bush arangement 

so it all looks factory again  

D1E24179-682A-4C15-B787-F975D39E794D.jpeg

CEE3DFB4-E6B1-4997-881C-014431EFFF48.jpeg

7722F1D5-C855-4EDE-90F9-7BE275D7CECA.jpeg

B5347923-B3CA-4B00-B84C-E1F2DB377F01.jpeg

Looks factory to me😀. So you guys have annual car inspection? Something I grew up with back in the home land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Looks factory to me😀. So you guys have annual car inspection? Something I grew up with back in the home land.

Andy, with the 64 being a import, it has to be issued with a vin number from nz transport, then a full inspection to ensure it complies with nz rules, including seat belts that comply... the factory ones wont cut the mustard, as they dont have the standards approval markings, so i will need to change them. but they can stay lap belts only, as for this car they are the stock mounting points.

then the car will need a repair certification for the replacement of the chassis and also for the trunk floor thats been replaced, so thats why i am making it look nice and sound..

then... the car can be registered which is justA annual tax grab for the government so they can spend money on roading contractors, who can go out and dig up roads and make much better pot holes for us to wreak our cars in !.

then the car is issued with a warrant of fitness that is basically a 6 month inspection of everything, bushes, wheel bearings, tires, etc   ..

and then she all legal !!! i get issued with a generic number plate and i can then transfer that and legally run my personal plate on the car 🙄 

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

dont  look too close at my tig welding JustA.. i need more practice and learn how to set my current properly, and what to to do with my tungsten..... BUT ! its such a small concentrated flame and bugger all heat, its perfect for panel steel !!! 👍

where as the mig is perfect for plug welds up side down in tight spots like the installation of those sub floor mounts👍

I have ARC, gas N mig.  Haven't tig welded since High School shop class. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Andy, with the 64 being a import, it has to be issued with a vin number from nz transport, then a full inspection to ensure it complies with nz rules, including seat belts that comply... the factory ones wont cut the mustard, as they dont have the standards approval markings, so i will need to change them. but they can stay lap belts only, as for this car they are the stock mounting points.

then the car will need a repair certification for the replacement of the chassis and also for the trunk floor thats been replaced, so thats why i am making it look nice and sound..

then... the car can be registered which is justA annual tax grab for the government so they can spend money on roading contractors, who can go out and dig up roads and make much better pot holes for us to wreak our cars in !.

then the car is issued with a warrant of fitness that is basically a 6 month inspection of everything, bushes, wheel bearings, tires, etc   ..

and then she all legal !!! i get issued with a generic number plate and i can then transfer that and legally run my personal plate on the car 🙄 

Holy crap that is a lot of hopes to jump through especially for a classic car that probably isn't going to be driven that much, I guess we have it pretty easy.

Registration is going to be cheap for an old car and then you just need insurance and nobody checks if you have brakes or nothing.

Even in my Homeland of Sweden it's easier than that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

Holy crap that is a lot of hopes to jump through especially for a classic car that probably isn't going to be driven that much, I guess we have it pretty easy.

Registration is going to be cheap for an old car and then you just need insurance and nobody checks if you have brakes or nothing.

Even in my Homeland of Sweden it's easier than that.

ask Fitzy about the rules in oz !!! they are tighter than ours ... pretty much for get about modifying a car over there !!!

• Sad 4

mate.. the cup is still half full !!! hahaha.

when the government MAKES us drive electric cars that's the day to pack a stink and we go full mad max on their arses!!! hahaha :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I managed to wean myself off the drug I call Cars for the last 20 years - it was a happy time.  I had disposable income, clean hands and a reliable daily driver which a mechanic looked after

Boring !!!!!!😒

hahaha

while fitzy was thinking about the good old dayz of paying a monkey to fix his car that he knew he would much rather be doing himself cause it would get fixed right.... i went and got my covid first jab, drove around a very empty town and got food... beers and animal feed... got home and 

pulled the fuel sender on my gas tank thinking to install the new one i had bought....... that was a waste of time,,, the one in my tank look dam near brand new !!!

B6E07C80-358A-4E93-96B4-98A883D57A59.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

So I stuck the inspection camera in the tank to see how clean it was 

741D8E8D-83CC-4435-87A7-1E9ED86A94C9.jpeg

1EED48EF-F44D-4473-B8B6-56DB5C372B9D.jpeg

8943C71B-F3BB-4595-8093-CC4B8898E1FD.jpeg

found there was a bit of odd looking crap... so i dropped the tank cleaned it out, gave it a paint job and bolted it back in

501B8AA8-1CF0-4F77-B8CC-FD3A7029A8A6.jpeg

3A33D31C-5E97-451D-B853-782C12E1D65A.jpeg

and about then got news the government is dropping us to level 3 next wednesday, so i can go back to work!!!! wee hee😔

i have run out of paint,,, i need a tire,,, bolts,,,, brake linnings and a drum resurface job done, i need to test this trans, organize a rebuild/ refreash of the trans...... so bring on next Wednesday ... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

and about then got news the government is dropping us to level 3 next wednesday, so i can go back to work!!!! wee hee😔

i have run out of paint,,, i need a tire,,, bolts,,,, brake linnings and a drum resurface job done, i need to test this trans, organize a rebuild/ refreash of the trans...... so bring on next Wednesday ... 

You have been quite busy so you should be running out of stuff, got to keep pounding that list and hopefully it gets smaller eventually.

Looks great, you are doing exactly what I need to do.

I just got word from summit that my trunk panels are back ordered until November so I might have to go down to OPGI and get the more expensive once.

• Sad 3

Wow - look at the crap in your tank. Looks like someone had a party in there. I did the same with mine, except had to fill a few pinholes with putty, wirebrushed it to shiny, and then rust sealed the entire thing. I rinsed the interior with the garden hose and then coated it with fuel tank sealer. My sender was in deplorable condition, so replaced that too, along with a nice new little piece of 3/8" hose to the metal fuel line. The only niggling issue is the vapour breather hose which inexplicably curls up behind the rear fascia between the taillights, as per factory. I still haven't figured out what to do about that because once the ambient temp gets above about 30°C (almost every day here) I can smell fuel. It needs to have a little filter or charcoal canister or something on the end. Any ideas?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hey Kiwi, I thought you were going to dump your pipes behind the bumper as per factory. Did you change your mind, or is that just a temporary arrangement?

Edited by Fitzy
Thought of something better to write.

while fitzy was thinking about the good old dayz of paying a monkey to fix his car that he knew he would much rather be doing himself cause it would get fixed right.

He was a good monkey and I breezed through life like a dream. Never mind, I now spend my free days coated in grease & cleaning chemicals and scratching my head wondering how I'm gonna fix THAT!

Re, your fuel tank. Yes, I could fit a breathing cap (or just drill a hole) but fuel vapour will then escape from the cap: same problem. I really wonder how the factory approached it. Maybe they simply advised that you parked in a well ventilated space. I don't remember any of my old cars having any sort of vapour return or capture system - they just vented to the atmosphere.

Edited by Fitzy
Can't see properly
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Hey Kiwi, I thought you were going to dump your pipes behind the bumper as per factory. Did you change your mind, or is that just a temporary arrangement?

fitzy,, my plan was to pop each pipe out behind the rear wheels... but... it justA didnt look right... i can show you when your here what my thought was, ...with my camaro.. it was easy....

. but with the big girl.. it justA looked dumb.

so they are factory straight outA the back... when you see how tight it is under a 64 ponti you will understand 

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

while fitzy was thinking about the good old dayz of paying a monkey to fix his car that he knew he would much rather be doing himself cause it would get fixed right.

He was a good monkey and I breezed through life like a dream. Never mind, I now spend my free days coated in grease & cleaning chemicals and scratching my head wondering how I'm gonna fix THAT!

think fitzy is a wayyyy happier monkey now that he has dirt under his nails :rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

The last thing I did yesterday was , 

I put the gas in the freashly painted tank,  finished up all the fuel lines 

... I did think at the time ,,,, was that a good idea ,,,, and my brain said hell yeah let’s get a beer and go hang with the boss before she chops my nuts off for being in the shed for to long !!

this morning with all body parts still attached 

I go into the shed to smell gas !!! 

Over under the 64 is a  leak !!

71EA037A-3F2A-485B-A1CE-1CCB54B7FA63.jpeg

6485ABC8-C56B-404E-ABEE-65800F73A7BE.jpeg

• Sad 2