Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Kiwi - take a look at Diamond Back tires. for white walls Again may not be cheap, but they are an alternative to Coker.

https://dbtires.com/

https://dbtires.com/product-category/tires/

frosty, is this a good price? 

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p225-75r14-coker-classic-2-1-2-whitewall.html

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

db tires do a 215 75 r14 which looks ok, anyone running these tires ?? are they soft, hard, or justA ok ????

https://dbtires.com/product/diamond-back-i/?attribute_pa_diameter=14&attribute_pa_tire-size=215-75r14&attribute_pa_color=white-wall&attribute_pa_width=standard-2-1-2

i have 6 inch wide 8 lugger rims so i think a 225 will fit .... wider the better !!:rofl:, but what do ya think ?

either way coker... 225 or db 215 they are a grand for 4 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

I pondered the same question re width on my 6" rims. I went for 205s and would have gone for 215s but no bigger. Apparently,  205s are THE tyre for a 6" rim: going either side of that is a mild compromise. It ain't gonna matter what you chuck on, unless you're lapping Porsche drivers on the Nurburgring. In THAT case, better grab one of those bitchin' 421s!!!

I like how tyre sizes are an amalgam of imperial & metric sizes. We can thank the Yanks for refusing to adopt the metric system for that one! Really guys? 64ths of an inch vs millimetres??? Mind you, 421 cubes does sound better than 6.9 litres.

• Haha 1

yeah i like the sound of 421 verses 6.9 litre... it sounds dumb 

anyone with a classic goes yeah mate its 350 or yeah mate its a 454... or yeah mate i stroked it to 383.

your nanna will say " oh yes dear its the brand new 1.2 litre automatic"

:rofl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I pondered the same question re width on my 6" rims. I went for 205s and would have gone for 215s but no bigger

oh good point mate!! i think you right, i googled rim width and they are all saying 205 is max..

i wonder if pontiac made a 7 inch wide 8 lugger ???

so if in doubt, see whats legal in your corner of the world...... so thats justA what i have done, here is what the law says for nz regarding tire widths....

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2009_V3_Tyre_Size_to_Wheel_Size_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

:rofl:Those are only 2 1/2in tires to begin with.  Please don't donk Bonnie.  See that doesn't even sound right.😎

Oh pleeeeeesssse! :picard:   Since when did you ever worry about proper grammar?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

yeah i like the sound of 421 verses 6.9 litre... it sounds dumb 

anyone with a classic goes yeah mate its 350 or yeah mate its a 454... or yeah mate i stroked it to 383.

your nanna will say " oh yes dear its the brand new 1.2 litre automatic"

:rofl:

image.png.789b4d427b116b0d4699a2070839a569.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Oh pleeeeeesssse! :picard:   Since when did you ever worry about proper grammar?

M  R  not worried  N  U  R  justa big turd.  Spell check that!:nuts:

• Haha 2

Hey Kiwi, when you get a sec, would you send me details of your oil filter adapter again AND I notice you have a Ryco filter fitted. Part number of that, too. I tried to find the pics but I don't have the patience to trawl thru 30 pages of posts to find those things. Thanks.

John at Pontiac tripower is your man mate !!👍👍👍

he is quick to return emails and you can see the oil filter kit on his web site 

https://pontiactripower.com/

am at the beach till tomorrow mate , fitting off the wiring , getting ready for flooring and carpets 

I will have a look at what Ryco it is 

and get back to ya mid day ish 

to windy to drone fish 

so we’re going to put the kontiki out 

Do you catch whiting & flathead there? I'm no fisherman and am not crazy about seafood, but I do love whiting & flathead because we just don't get them where I am. I've been told that NZ snapper is good and I think I'm gonna treat myself to some crayfish whilst we're there.

Thanks for the info. Fitting a Ryco will make things a lot simpler.

15 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Do you catch whiting & flathead there? I'm no fisherman and am not crazy about seafood, but I do love whiting & flathead because we just don't get them where I am. I've been told that NZ snapper is good and I think I'm gonna treat myself to some crayfish whilst we're there.

Thanks for the info. Fitting a Ryco will make things a lot simpler.

snapper rules mate !! not sure what the whiting of flat head tastes like... but between snapper and gurnard. mate you cant go wrong.... 

https://www.seafood.co.nz/show-species/snapper/

https://www.seafood.co.nz/show-species/red-gurnard/

there is one other sea food that is THE BEST... its Bluff oysters !! 

https://www.bluff.co.nz/oystering

Thanks mate, I'll grab a Ryco to go with the new adapter.

Can't do oysters. Bleccch! However, with enough prepatory beers, I guess I'd throw one down. Let's look forward to that stellar moment IF we're still allowed to get over there in about 5 week's time.

7 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks mate, I'll grab a Ryco to go with the new adapter.

Can't do oysters. Bleccch! However, with enough prepatory beers, I guess I'd throw one down. Let's look forward to that stellar moment IF we're still allowed to get over there in about 5 week's time.

Hmm, I don’t think you will make it mate .

it isn’t looking good ... but it will come right and you may need to justA move your dates a little

maybe we could head to the beach and get ya drone fishing 

justA for shits n giggles 

we didn’t get any fishing drone fishing last night , it was too windy but ..

the son in lawyer went out 4 am this morning and got 1 snapper and 3 kahawai ... while I slept in !! Haha 

And we had half of them for dinner tonight 👍😀😀😀😀👍

• Like 1

One of my next big jobs is the brake drums and refurbishing them .a long with the fancy tires etc

so today I picked up the first part of the puzzle ... new nuts 

5FA64A3D-DD9C-46EC-BB30-40BBBEB84C33.jpeg

All 32 of them !! 

• Like 1

i finally got hold of my transmission guy on friday and asked if he could fix my super hydromatic ...

he said no ! too hard etc and i would be best to find a turbo 350 and swap it over.... but thats a pita !

different yoke, trans length will be different, shift linkage, indicator pattern on the dash will need to be changed .... i will need to not only find a trans but also have it rebuilt and find a flex plate to suit as well.

so i am thinking to fix my trans myself ! its only the leak from the front somewhere in the bell housing that is the issue, when i test drove the girl, she shifted good, bit hard from 1 to 2 but considering she most likely hasent seen a road in over 10 years i was surprised how well it did behave !

i found this pic of what it looks like in the front of the trans behind the coupling.. it can only be the spline seal or the o ring on that housing .... anyone had any experience with these trans ?

i know Del, you had your one rebuilt, would you mind passing the builders details on to me, and i could possibly ask him for the parts i need ?image.thumb.png.64612dc44649add6fedb9a4581d52381.png

i am wondering if i can do an inspection of where the leak is coming from by opening the small steel plate on the bottom of the housing ???

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

What's up Kiwi..

Your leak is probably originating from the front pump seal...or maybe a crack in the front pump cover or the cover gasket itself possibly due to damage from the accident the car was involved in several years ago..you should be able to pull the bottom metal cover off of it and look between the rear of the torque converter and the front pump of the transmission using a flashlight...Have someone (that you really trust) in the drivers seat to start the car...While holding the brakes put it in gear and and throttle it up just enough to load the drivetrain up...With it loaded up look inside the cover with the flashlight and you should be able to Physically see where the fluid leak is coming from...

Also there is a whole section devoted to the Super Hydramatic transmission in your 1963 pontiac manual..pages 7D1 to 7D 94...1963 and 1964 Super hydramatics are the same...

The front pump seal/cover gasket is an easy fix...But the transmission has to be removed from the car to do it...

TLBT..

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

If it helps, Transmission removale is pretty simple. Franks transmission just did my original trans rebuild. Their number is 517 278-7882. His name is john. The rebuild was 2,300 .00. My first one was 4K. If you recall, I bought a 2nd one from a salvage yard and had it rebuilt. Maybe you could do the same. Once I Received it I sent the original out which just came back yesterday. My first one works good but make some funny sounds which may be a bad sign. I bought the shop manual to try and see If I need to send it back. It seems experts say the trans is pretty good but hard to get parts and to rebuild. I plan on driving this for a while but if it has any nagging dependability issues I will consider a newer high performance motor trans combo. This may sound crazy but My son and I drive the car all the time and want to keep doing it. We hate to go without it which is why I bought a second trans and motor. In fact…….. wait for it…. I just picked up another 64 Bonneville convertable! It will take a week to get here from the cross country trek. See pics of the newest Bonnie!

0F9817A3-5E09-4347-8827-B68C61FE82DE.jpeg

F2FADD60-71A6-47A3-AF90-D26A9E668E93.jpeg

08DF9AB2-4C40-4E2B-8B5A-1D2E579C6ADE.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

What's up Kiwi..

Your leak is probably originating from the front pump seal...or maybe a crack in the front pump cover or the cover gasket itself possibly due to damage from the accident the car was involved in several years ago..you should be able to pull the bottom metal cover off of it and look between the rear of the torque converter and the front pump of the transmission using a flashlight...Have someone (that you really trust) in the drivers seat to start the car...While holding the brakes put it in gear and and throttle it up just enough to load the drivetrain up...With it loaded up look inside the cover with the flashlight and you should be able to Physically see where the fluid leak is coming from...

Also there is a whole section devoted to the Super Hydramatic transmission in your 1963 pontiac manual..pages 7D1 to 7D 94...1963 and 1964 Super hydramatics are the same...

The front pump seal/cover gasket is an easy fix...But the transmission has to be removed from the car to do it...

TLBT..

Thanks two lane !!!! I will do exactly that !

I have never played with a auto trans before ! I usually just sent them away and have them rebuilt ! But I think your right 

it’s only a seal or a o ring gasket 

fingers crossed it’s not a crack 

nothing else on the engine was damaged in the smash 

the whole engine did jump forward and the sump had a dent from where the cross member held it back from jumping clean out of the car !!! 

I will stick it on the hoist with the boss in it and do the load test you suggest and inspect it from that tin plate 👍👍👍👍

2 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

If it helps, Transmission removale is pretty simple. Franks transmission just did my original trans rebuild. Their number is 517 278-7882. His name is john. The rebuild was 2,300 .00. My first one was 4K. If you recall, I bought a 2nd one from a salvage yard and had it rebuilt. Maybe you could do the same. Once I Received it I sent the original out which just came back yesterday. My first one works good but make some funny sounds which may be a bad sign. I bought the shop manual to try and see If I need to send it back. It seems experts say the trans is pretty good but hard to get parts and to rebuild. I plan on driving this for a while but if it has any nagging dependability issues I will consider a newer high performance motor trans combo. This may sound crazy but My son and I drive the car all the time and want to keep doing it. We hate to go without it which is why I bought a second trans and motor. In fact…….. wait for it…. I just picked up another 64 Bonneville convertable! It will take a week to get here from the cross country trek. See pics of the newest Bonnie!

0F9817A3-5E09-4347-8827-B68C61FE82DE.jpeg

F2FADD60-71A6-47A3-AF90-D26A9E668E93.jpeg

08DF9AB2-4C40-4E2B-8B5A-1D2E579C6ADE.jpeg

Thanks for the lead Del 👍👍👍

I will call them once I know what’s leaking and see if they can supply me the parts I need ,,,

now what’s with buying another rag top !!!! That’s soooo cool mate 👍👍👍👍

It looks to be super clean !!! Even that steering wheel looks to be mint as ! 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1