Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

3 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Not sure at all ... maybe Del reads this and can enlighten us 

as I am sure his rag top would have one 

Don’t look too close mate 

I had to use a bit of hose as a nut to hold the second hand switch in place !!!

i am still in lock down till Wednesday ... so I am using anything I have around .... 

and making a list of all these little things I need to buy 😀

No trunk light in my car. Back seat curtesy lights, are missing as well as door/dome lights & glove box. In fact the wiring in general is bad. I had to change the fuse panel because of bad connectors. Tons of splices under the dash. Fuel gauge was replaced but still doesn’t work so probably the wire going to it is bad. I tried to run the necessary dedicated ignition wire from fuse panel to coil and it doesn’t work. You get the idea….  I plan on taking dash out and putting everything back to original. I will be using my Milwaukee iron just like yours to get the job done right. It does seem that most sold have the gravity switch built in the light.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

10 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

No real clue as to what switches it justA this small cylindrical thing that used to have wires going in to it at some stage of its life 

so for now it’s getting a switch  

390163AE-5F08-4436-A67C-D7AD8F02085B.jpeg

Bet it's a pendelum like a clock.  When the hot touches the side, it lights the light.  That's how seat belts lock in too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

All the way through the electrical system I am finding poor contacts , loose wires dodgee earths 

all silly little things that stop circuits from working 

to finish the day I made a start on the indicators 

3 are working and I pulled the switch off the steering and pulled it apart , cleaned the contacts with a tooth brush and some carb cleaner and back together !!!

gotta love 1960’s cars with parts you CAN  fix 

E551CC40-033B-486D-8988-1107AC227576.jpeg

1E1D24E4-4BDC-49C4-86E9-48F13A4B9B03.jpeg

Have you ever taken the steering column apart? I’m wondering if I should dig into mine or buy a used replacement. When I put in park you have to jam it and it still doesn’t lock. So the car will be I park but the gear lever can be taped out of gear without pulling up on shift handle. Thanks

If your trunk switch is like Lucy's, there should be a toggle switch near the left-hand hinge. In my case, the toggle is connected to the trunk lid, as it swings up, it completes the ground circuit and turns the trunk light on, close the lid and the ground is disconnected and the light goes out.

6 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

SLOW down...Your really making the rest of us look like your on an hour TV show.  Bonne N Me.:rofl:

hahahaha, dont worry JustA todays my last day in the shed, back to real work tomorrow.... but i really wanted to make some progress while i can!!! i know whats coming work load wise, so i will get bugger all done over the next few months again !!

8 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

No trunk light in my car. Back seat curtesy lights, are missing as well as door/dome lights & glove box. In fact the wiring in general is bad. I had to change the fuse panel because of bad connectors. Tons of splices under the dash. Fuel gauge was replaced but still doesn’t work so probably the wire going to it is bad. I tried to run the necessary dedicated ignition wire from fuse panel to coil and it doesn’t work. You get the idea….  I plan on taking dash out and putting everything back to original. I will be using my Milwaukee iron just like yours to get the job done right. It does seem that most sold have the gravity switch built in the light.

thanks Del.. yeah i though it mustA had a gravity switch at some stage of its life and like other wiring i have foud they have justA changed it... the crack up is that it would have been going 24/7. so they must of had lots of flat batteries!!! hahaha..

oh the Milwaukee soldering iron is the best!!!! heats up quick, no cord ! certainly my favorite tool :cheers: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Have you ever taken the steering column apart? I’m wondering if I should dig into mine or buy a used replacement. When I put in park you have to jam it and it still doesn’t lock. So the car will be I park but the gear lever can be taped out of gear without pulling up on shift handle. Thanks

no i havent ! but that sounds like adjustment in the linkage down to the trans.... maybe pop the linkage off the box and justA try the shifter and see if it behaves, then reconnect and adjust its setting ?

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

If your trunk switch is like Lucy's, there should be a toggle switch near the left-hand hinge. In my case, the toggle is connected to the trunk lid, as it swings up, it completes the ground circuit and turns the trunk light on, close the lid and the ground is disconnected and the light goes out.

if mine was like that Frosty, its long gone🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i pulled out the factory seat belts today, that will need to be replaced to comply for nz rules, but i have found out that i can have them bewebbed and thats legal. i would like to keep the fisher body latches so a re web job would be so cool

7D9BF1A0-E2BD-4EE3-AAA1-6CB07F976F8A.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

I pulled the ignition switch as it’s got a flat spot when you go to start and I thought about pulling  it apart like I did with the indicator switch and stopped !

if I can’t get it back together I am in trouble !! 

So I emailed Ames to see if they sell them ... 

and I made a key to screw the bezel back on , and re fitted it till I hear back 

7F2391CD-195A-4E01-BC78-FB929E7B243A.jpeg

443877E1-30CD-4529-A0E1-CB0E38BD51AA.jpeg

• Like 1

Months ago I pulled the belt line trim on the driver side c pillar  to fix a small spot of rust and found the 3 clips that hold the trim on where shot ... note to any one doing this replacement 

they are the same clips as a 64 impala 👍👍👍

so I have fitted new clips and another box ticked off .. I did fix another small dent at the same time and got the touch  up gun out and layed down some 2 pack primer 

A5C4631C-B5A7-48C1-8637-A22A1609C758.jpeg

DDEF0753-D78D-49E3-AB91-94BA154C68DF.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Much to be proud of. 

5 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I pulled the ignition switch as it’s got a flat spot when you go to start and I thought about pulling  it apart like I did with the indicator switch and stopped !

if I can’t get it back together I am in trouble !! 

So I emailed Ames to see if they sell them ... 

and I made a key to screw the bezel back on , and re fitted it till I hear back 

7F2391CD-195A-4E01-BC78-FB929E7B243A.jpeg

443877E1-30CD-4529-A0E1-CB0E38BD51AA.jpeg

Simply could not find a new one for the GTO.  Had to buy used off Ebay.

I hope we get video of the magic moment when you fire the old girl up and take her out for the first suicide run! :cheers:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Much to be proud of. 

Simply could not find a new one for the GTO.  Had to buy used off Ebay.

yeah JustA Ames got back to me, they dont have any... and i have looked on ebay, cant find a single 8 pin unit, and even looking at other brands like chev, they are different housing shapes.

i did find this company, but they are not replying to my emails 

http://www.2040-parts.com/pontiac-nos-nors-1963-1964-ignition-switch-catalina-bonneville-grand-prix-star-c-i1517464/

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I hope we get video of the magic moment when you fire the old girl up and take her out for the first suicide run! :cheers:

oh thats A great idea Frosty 👍

I just found this ad in the latest issue of Smoke Signals. It's a crap shot but worth a try.

Parts For Sale: 1942-’70s brake shoes and disc
pads, the good kind that stop, $45 an axle. Hoses
1936-up $17, 1936-up E-brake cables $25. ’65
tube shocks $35 pair. 1940-’60s brake hardware
kits $17. Ignition switches $45 fuel pumps
$25. Rebuilt 1-2bbl carburetors $125. 1930s-
’60 distributor tune up kits $45. Don Nowak
(716) 824-2292 or; [email protected] (IL)
(11/21E) 

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

I just found this ad in the latest issue of Smoke Signals. It's a crap shot but worth a try.

Parts For Sale: 1942-’70s brake shoes and disc
pads, the good kind that stop, $45 an axle. Hoses
1936-up $17, 1936-up E-brake cables $25. ’65
tube shocks $35 pair. 1940-’60s brake hardware
kits $17. Ignition switches $45 fuel pumps
$25. Rebuilt 1-2bbl carburetors $125. 1930s-
’60 distributor tune up kits $45. Don Nowak
(716) 824-2292 or; [email protected] (IL)
(11/21E) 

i am going to give it a crack 👍

have emailed them.. lets see what comes of it 🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

How does a tyre shop balance an 8 lug wheel? There must be an adapter that you will have to provide when the occasion arises.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fitzy said:

How does a tyre shop balance an 8 lug wheel? There must be an adapter that you will have to provide when the occasion arises.

Wow,  good question.  Did you think of that at 3am again???😎

• Haha 2

OMG check this out.

Pontiac Radio Identification at http://www.pontiacparadise.com/parts-id/8-lug-wheels.php Paradise

http://www.2040-parts.com/pontiac-8-lug-wheel-spin-balance-plate-60-61-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-i1658753/

Again... excellent question Fitzy

Edited by JUSTA6

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

yes you dead right mate, my 64 had its adapter in the trunk, i have left it with the tire shop, as they are sticking another tire on the spare rim, i will post a picture of it when i get it back later today

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

great Artical JustA :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1