Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

This will NOT make you smile.

So i have the little cortina at the panel beaters getting the bent hood fixed and they called me, as they  had a issue..

They masked off the pink infill and repainted the dark red, and went to remove the masking and .....oh bugger moment . all the pink came off!!!! hahaha

now they have to repaint the infill... so i got to pick a boy colour... much to the boss's dislike !!! :rofl:

i will post a pic of the new paint !!

3E6DE340-7EAD-4658-99D6-F2FEFD917F32.jpeg

EBC21DF4-BE51-41AC-ABE4-9A91A59F1C3B.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

What i spotted was the pink had been sprayed over the top of clear coat... most likely a acrylic, and the clear coat has lifted... good old POS  ppg/ici dulux i bet !!! 

Millions of nz and ozy cars had this clear coat back in the 90's and for the last 20 years its been pealing off !!

• Sad 1

Precisely the reason that I will not put a clear coat paint job on anything. Have never figured out why it is that the clear coat peels but the base coat hangs in there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Precisely the reason that I will not put a clear coat paint job on anything. Have never figured out why it is that the clear coat peels but the base coat hangs in there. 

Paint has certainty changed Dwight... for the better too! short of going back to plain jane enamels ! 

the system i am using on the 64 is still a 2 pack system but its wayyyy more user frendly than the old 2k hardner, colour mix.

Maybe it is our blazing California sunshine but everyone I know that has used a clear coat paint on their car had to redo it within 7 to 10 years. I suppose it is possible that they have perfected the system but I for one have no intentions of giving them the chance to prove it. The paint that is on my Pontiac was designed for commercial use, trucks, trailers, farm machinery etc. and is a single stage. The guy I buy it from painted his 90's vintage ford truck with it about 10 years ago and the truck looks as good today as it did the day it was painted. The truck is not garaged and is parked in front of the paint store every day. Granted it does not have the depth or shine of a clear coat but it looks good in the grocery store parking lot and will probably still look acceptable when I am no longer able to drive. After that it becomes someone elses problem

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

I appreciate all the information, you have reinforced my decision never to use a clear coat paint. I have never had and never will have a show car. Jay Leno once said that he builds a car until it is perfect and then drives it until it isn't. I skip the middle step. I completely understand that you can not get as vibrant a paint job without the clear coat but I am at the age that constantly waxing my car is not on the to do list.  I come from a farming family and I never saw any of my relatives waxing the John Deere. Did they have brilliant paint jobs, nope but I never saw one peeling. My kind of paint. Nothing against those who want that brilliant paint job, you have my admiration and your cars look fantastic. I am happy with OK and waxing maybe once a year............. or not.

Yup! I get that completely! I absolutely hated it when they moved away from lacquer & then phased it out completely! Never liked enamels, first, second or third generation! The urethane single stage or even the two stage are closer two lacquer than enamel, as far as blending re-coating, etc..

That said, a couple things to consider. Other than lacquer, all other paints over the last 20+ years have the same issue as I described above. Whether enamel, urethane, single stage or two stage! Their oxidation comes from nutrient loss! So traditional waxes do not work even when they appear to restore luster. So those paints really do need to have a product that restores those nutrients to them. 
Don’t misunderstand my explanation above. I’m not a big advocate of clear coat, other than for metallic paints! As it is nearly impossible to wet sand a metallic paint, buff it out and not have color fluctuations. So a clear coat will allow that, but a solid color no. I would never purposely chose a two stage system. A clear coat can definitely add to the depth perception of a paint! But nothing and I do mean nothing increases the shine or the depth of any paint surface more than surface finish, aka, flat, no hills or valleys on a microscopic level.

My “69” Z was black lacquer, no clear of any kind, but I used a gallon and a half of paint which means it was about 3 gallons thinned. Wet sanded and buffed out! But when I wet sanded it in 1975 nobody was using anything finer than 600. I used 400 than 600 than 1000 than 1500 because I knew from the type of work I did that was how you achieved a very flat surface. More often than not most people who saw the car and knew paint thought it had clear lacquer on it.

863B7035-63C3-43E8-999D-07AADF8178C1.jpeg
not the best picture to show a finish, but no digital in those days!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Last car I painted in lacquer was a '57 Cad Eldorado Brougham. Had the car for a little over a year and decided that red was not the color for that car. In those days I used to block sand down to bare metal with a long board leaving the original paint in between the highs and lows for filler. The lows the were still low got spot putty. Back in the late 70's as memory served me all the spot putties were lacquer based but I won't swear to it. At any rate I seem to recall that the paint was Ditzler but again wont swear to it. I do know that the paint,  primer and thinner all had the same label. Car came out great but about 8 months later the primer started checking under the paint on the left quarter panel. Never had it happen before but someone that I knew wanted the car and had been bugging me about buying it so I sold it. He took it down to metal just like I had and it did the same thing to him same spot. Damdest thing I ever saw.

This was the last car I painted in lacquer. My '73 Lemans Sport Coupe in 1979 when I was 19 years old. I spent the entire summer sanding, bonding, priming, and painting this car. I finished painting it in early September. I put 7 coats of lacquer poly blue on, followed by 5 layers of clear. Two weeks after I buffed it out, some mofo at college keyed my car (both sides, along the hood and trunk too) while in the student parking garage. Of course there were no security cameras in the student garage but there were in the faculty garage. Bastiches! So I had to re-do the car the following summer!

Here is the car in primer. Note the Cragars on it....I just literally scrapped them a few weeks ago. Breaks my heart.

My dad took this photo. I found it in amongst the many 35mm slides that he took. It is the only picture (thus far) that I have of this car. It's my first Pontiac.

PICT0007.thumb.JPG.33fdf3864bbd31bc3b65830f0d75023b.JPG

• Like 1

Never could understand people that need to ruin something that they are apparently jealous of. I painted a Chrysler Cordova black with a blue pearl tint coat and dark blue tinting in the clear coat. When done the car highlighted blue. It was some kind of super hard paint that apparently EPA put the kybosh to because I tried to get some more of it for another project about 6 months later and was told it was no longer available. I was in a hospital parking structure and someone tried to key the trunk. It did make a mark that easily polished out. Don't know what the stuff was but it was so toxic that there were warnings all over the can about using a specific face mask and changing the filters if you smelled anything funny.

48 minutes ago, Old guy44 said:

Never could understand people that need to ruin something that they are apparently jealous of. I painted a Chrysler Cordova black with a blue pearl tint coat and dark blue tinting in the clear coat. When done the car highlighted blue. It was some kind of super hard paint that apparently EPA put the kybosh to because I tried to get some more of it for another project about 6 months later and was told it was no longer available. I was in a hospital parking structure and someone tried to key the trunk. It did make a mark that easily polished out. Don't know what the stuff was but it was so toxic that there were warnings all over the can about using a specific face mask and changing the filters if you smelled anything funny.

Sounds like made the original Imron paint! Tough Ass sh- -t!

Sounds like Old guy44 maybe is talking about Imron. Original Imron was very toxic, I remember having my ‘57 Nomad painted w it in early ‘70’s. Guy used a full suit & fresh air supplied mask w googles! It was a beautiful very tough finish. Also remember very expensive for the time. Probly cost 6 weeks pay😂! I don’t think it was that it was so hard as it was flexible & very tough. That shiny wet look finish almost impossible to mark up from scuffs & probably would withstand an key scratch from an old used key 🙃! Actually still available by name but think due to OSHA & Probly Tree Hugger Stuff the formula has changed so not sure if the same Characteristics! Good stuff though!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will be screaming "I told you so!" with this one.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uk-inches-closer-to-eliminating-private-car-ownership/ar-AASbota?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife had a talent for picking up any screw or nail within a 10 mile radius. She no longer drives, but when she did when her tires wore out we just sold them for scrap iron

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i have suggested that the next trip she takes, to drive the dodge ram!!! or... i will buy her a big as john deer tractor!!!:rofl:

If you have ANY success with that mate, you let us ALL know because we'll want to know how you did it. 👍

I give 3:1 you get the sofa again. Of course, by now, you're probably use to it! :rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

If you have ANY success with that mate, you let us ALL know because we'll want to know how you did it. 👍

I give 3:1 you get the sofa again. Of course, by now, you're probably use to it! :rofl:

Oh last night was the opposite !! 

She feed me lamb chops for dinner !!! 

I think she freaked out being stuck so far from home !!! She’s a real home body :rofl:

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

Why or how big rims N rubber band tires became popular while being so completely useless is beyond me.  Like you said mate, if she was driving the truck with real rim/tires it wouldn't have been an issue. 

Yes I completely agree mate !!! 

The idiots at bmw mini design a car with a wheel tire combo that will only last on roads with no pot holes !!   So where is that on this planet !!!!! Hahaha :rofl:

• Haha 2

JustA thinking about it frosty .... I won’t let the boss drive my ram .... I have seen the mess inside her mini !! :rofl:

BIG TRACTOR IT IS !!!! 🍻🍻🍻

and I can hose it out once a year !!! Haha 

• Haha 2