Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

This will NOT make you smile.

We had a really rough night last night.... 

about 2 am we were woken by a loud explosion , i got out of bed and looked for what had blown up........ nothing........

then about 5.30 am we got a 3.1 magnitude earthquack..... shock the shit out of the house, a few things fell to the floor. i got on the geonet app on my phone to find the epicenter was justA a few kms away from our home at a depth of 5kms. which explains why it was so loud and violent, felt way more than a 3.1 !!!

gave both the boss an i the shits. and ever since, i can hear the sound of what seams to be explosions ..... kind of like a giant taking one big resonating step..... and they are about 5-10 mins apart. i am kinda guessing they are geothermal explosions under ground...

super weird as i have never had a shake of this kind before, usually ( like once every 3-4 years) we get a rumbling noise followed by a little shake, then a smaller after shock a few minutes latter.

not this one.... totally different. 

very un nerving :unsure:

https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/2021p393856

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Being someone who has anxiety issues, I completely understand those panic moments. Been there plenty of times with hurricanes/tornadoes/etc... Always say though for our hurricanes, supplies are 10% water/food/batteries/etc..., 90% alcohol :lol: 

oh ... i know exactly how you feel Ringo... as i get older this bloody anxiety gets worse !! i hate it.

5 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Sure does, unfortunately :lol: 

is there any trick to dealing with it ???.. all i find works is head down, arse up working! so it takes my mind off it.🙄

• Founders
6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

is there any trick to dealing with it ???.. all i find works is head down, arse up working! so it takes my mind off it.🙄

That and exercise works for best me. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:00 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

We had a really rough night last night.... 

about 2 am we were woken by a loud explosion , i got out of bed and looked for what had blown up........ nothing........

then about 5.30 am we got a 3.1 magnitude earthquack..... shock the shit out of the house, a few things fell to the floor. i got on the geonet app on my phone to find the epicenter was justA a few kms away from our home at a depth of 5kms. which explains why it was so loud and violent, felt way more than a 3.1 !!!

gave both the boss an i the shits. and ever since, i can hear the sound of what seams to be explosions ..... kind of like a giant taking one big resonating step..... and they are about 5-10 mins apart. i am kinda guessing they are geothermal explosions under ground...

super weird as i have never had a shake of this kind before, usually ( like once every 3-4 years) we get a rumbling noise followed by a little shake, then a smaller after shock a few minutes latter.

not this one.... totally different. 

very un nerving :unsure:

https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/2021p393856

Had another un- nerving day !!

Over night we had something like 6 small shakes, then just after lunch a 4.8 shake... i was on the mountain working for the department of conservation and felt it , the boss was in a mega store and the shelves were going all over the place... she left there quickly! hahaha( hitch hiker guide to stopping the wife from shopping !! :rofl: )

then another 3.8 a hour latter, had her calling me.. all stressed out, i said to her its way better that they happen during the day, at least its light and its not waking you out of your sleep ! 👍

We have not had any seismec activity like this for ... well years !, today's were more like normal shakes, you hear a rumble, then shake. stop, not the big long bang noises like the other night...

still pretty freaky !:unsure:

C7ECD73A-25AD-4813-BA37-5EAEF1BE47AE.jpeg

mt ngauruhoe

61A2926E-7CC6-42F4-B543-E4A227B0E45C.jpeg

61F5BA4D-14AC-485D-AB62-B74C2288C3D4.jpeg

4C99C8A2-0324-4B97-9DA1-B34400014AF1.jpeg

mt Ruapehu

and we were on mt Tongariro doing work on the huts....all 3 mountains  are together in the central north island

7046A786-A389-44BB-99D4-A5184AF6424A.jpeg

This is waihohonu hut... when fitzy comes to visit from oz, he can hike up and stay here, pretty flash for a mountain hut !!!!

B31A6872-5D57-4A8C-AC88-0466E3FC0832.jpeg

Andy our helicopter pilot , with no doors on his chopper,  is a bit freaky when your sitting on the end of a bench seat with  JustA seat belt on to keep you in!!!!

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Come on Ringo, where's your sense of adventure?

I've helicopter skied in the Bugaboo Mountains of eastern British Columbia befire. We climb out of helicopters into avalanche prone areas justa so we can ski in fresh powder up to our arses. We get to wear avalanche transponders around our necks in case we do get caught in one, members of our group can find us and dig us out in 20 minutes or less (that's how long you have before you suffocate). So a chopper without doors ain't no big deal in the arse pucker factor scale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Founders
47 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Come on Ringo, where's your sense of adventure?

I've helicopter skied in the Bugaboo Mountains of eastern British Columbia befire. We climb out of helicopters into avalanche prone areas justa so we can ski in fresh powder up to our arses. We get to wear avalanche transponders around our necks in case we do get caught in one, members of our group can find us and dig us out in 20 minutes or less (that's how long you have before you suffocate). So a chopper without doors ain't no big deal in the arse pucker factor scale.

Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

• Founders
4 hours ago, Frosty said:

image.png.c4934ccdbb6615e634063ea5ea88b4a4.png

image.png.0294640087d8f565364ed2c83fa9ac3b.png

Eh, my stupid days are behind me. Broken bones, near aligator bites, being chased by a panther, etc... 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Dang, crazy! Any explanation for the seismic activity going on?

And FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF that helicopter with no doors. 

oh i would love to know whats going on down there mate !.... hope its has nothing to do with all the geothermal drilling and fracking they are doing around the area for the next geothermal power station they are building !!!:unsure:

• Confused 2

• Founders
2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

oh i would love to know whats going on down there mate !.... hope its has nothing to do with all the geothermal drilling and fracking they are doing around the area for the next geothermal power station they are building !!!:unsure:

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

last week i took the day off and trailered the mk1 cortina 2 hours north to the tuner so he could tune the duratec on the dyno, that was Monday, Tuesday night i got a call from the guy and he said he had good news and bad news!!

The 4 cylinder duratec did 162 hp on the dyno at the rear wheels!!( havent got the dyno sheet yet to see the torque ratings yet)  i was pretty rapt with that... then, he test drove it and didn't latch the hood... this is the mess it made !!😡

hood , guards, roof, cowl , hinges, hinge mounts to inner guards, all damaged!

The week before i decided that i should insure it justA in case !! and i was right. Having said that the tuner has insurance and its now for both insurance companies to sort it, he has told them it was his fault so i dont see too many issues, except sourcing and new hood and hinges, which will be like hunt for rocking horse shit ! 

So i trailered it to the panel shop today to be assessed and brought it home, pop it off the trailer and took it for my OWN test drive.... super impressed with this little engine !!!:driving:the car  weighs about 900 kg or 1950 ish lbs .... so it gets up and goes well!!!, and great skids!:rofl:

EB3AC741-2CD6-469D-96EF-35998C08F633.jpeg

87E41706-9153-49A2-8AEF-5EFFC4B73298.jpeg

4872D532-38D0-4A51-8C46-824CA0B5E456.jpeg

66BA252B-35C7-4DE0-8274-47841C888BF7.jpeg

6DFF80AD-9A42-456B-9C18-267D23ACC7CB.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Sad 2

Well that really sucks - especially if the replacement parts are as hard to find as you say they are.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

This is waihohonu hut... when fitzy comes to visit from oz, he can hike up and stay here, pretty flash for a mountain hut !!!!

This is hilarious. Unless there's beer on tap and strippers, I'm not hiking anywhere. My name and 'hiking' are not good companions. Think lobster shack, a bib and plenty of beer. NOW we're talking. Man, it looks kinda cold. I'm getting scared and will probably regret agreeing to this trip because when it comes to cold weather, I'm a total sook. Speaking of being a sook, I have had my covid vaccination so whatever crazy restrictions they enforce come October,  I'm a comin.'

Edited by Fitzy
Can't see properly

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

This is hilarious. Unless there's beer on tap and strippers, I'm not hiking anywhere. My name and 'hiking' are not good companions. Think lobster shack, a bib and plenty of beer. NOW we're talking. Man, it looks kinda cold. I'm getting scared and will probably regret agreeing to this trip because when it comes to cold weather, I'm a total sook. Speaking of being a sook, I have had my covid vaccination so whatever crazy restrictions they enforce come October,  I'm a comin.'

oh lucky you !! we still have no bloody idea when we are getting ours!!! bits pist about that now! ...

none the less it will be what it is!!:cheers:..

and fitzy , you will be fine, nothing like a nice 10 c day to get you up and moving for fear of dyeing of hypothermia :rofl:

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Man - that's heartbreaking. All it takes is a moment's lapse of concentration for such a disastrous result. His insurance mob will have to sort it out - it's the only positive outcome from the incident. That looks to be a potent little powerplant.  I know Cortinas and Zephyrs are well loved in NZ. They never had the same popularity here - they were just another English oddity, although Lotus Cortinas soon changed that.

For our International viewers, here's what an old Zephyr looked like:

20210716_170019.jpg

20210716_170037.jpg

Whilst the Yanks were cruising around in big inch V8 chrome mountains, this is what we were expected to drive!

back in the 60-70's and early 80's all you could buy in this country was a english car,,, ford, Vauxhall, Austin, all great pos !!! 

then came the jap cars

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I know Cortinas and Zephyrs are well loved in NZ. They never had the same popularity here

fitzy, you got the best cortina's in oz, all your tc td and te came factory with 6 cylinder motors!! we got pos 1.1 1.3 and 1.6 litre cross flow kent engines!! and yes the best where mk1 lotus...... oh and i for got !!!! you got the bathurst mk1 cortina's!!! wow they are super rare,,, think they where called a gt500 ??

a whopping 98 hp in race mode!!! oooooow!! :rofl:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1965_Ford_Cortina_GT500_sedan,_Bathurst_winner_(18454139776).jpg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

On 7/13/2021 at 1:01 AM, Frosty said:

Well that really sucks - especially if the replacement parts are as hard to find as you say they are.

found a replacement bonnet!!! 

https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/cortina-mk1/engine-compartment-cortina-mk1/bonnet-full-steel-2/

:rofl: $3656.00 nz dollars plus freight plus tax :rofl: