Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

This will NOT make you smile.

It would be interesting to find out in volume and cost what the difference is to dispose of the waste from a nuclear power plant generating the same amount of power over the same length of time.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

2 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Had a few minutes waiting to leave for a doctors appointment so did a quick google search on solar/wind vs nuclear. It takes about 2000 wind turbines to equal one nuclear power plant which requires about 350 square miles of land. Its reliability is at best  35% because the wind is not always blowing. A solar installation would require 75 miles of land and only has a slightly greater reliability because at any given time half the earth is pointing away from the sun and the sun does not always shine. Today in So Cal the sun is hidden behind the clouds. 

Nuclear on the other hand has a 98% reliability, only requires 1 1/3 miles of land. Further one uranium fuel pellet—about the size of a gummy bear—creates as much energy as one ton of coal, 149 gallons of oil or 17,000 cubic feet of natural gas. A single nuclear power reactor generates enough electricity on average to power 755,000 homes without emitting any greenhouse gases—that’s more than enough to power a city the size of Philadelphia. In fact, America’s 94 nuclear plants produce enough electricity to power 75 million homes. 

Don't know about anywhere else in the world but you mention constructing a nuclear power plant here and the environmentalists would raise a cry that could be heard halfway across the state. Why is that? because as has been observed many times in this discussion they have been fed a strict diet of that which falls from the north end of a south bound bull. 

I went from total ignorance of the subject to having this much information in a 20 minute Google search. There is no way that any politician can claim ignorance of the subject. I can only ask how many dollars wind up in the pocket of some politician for every solar panel or wind generator that goes up.

So what is the alternative to nuclear? That subject has been discussed from every angle so far in this thread and I can not add anything to what has been said other than the politicians have no objection to powering the navy that is protecting their worthless butts with nuclear energy.

Understandably folks have a concern with nuclear, or at least fission! We have a bunch of idiots that run our country and really at every level! I wouldn’t trust them to babysit my dead hamster! So putting them in charge of an atomic bomb! Yeah I don’t know! Nuclear reactors of naval ships today are quite different than those of a nuclear power plant! But here’s  a thought! Since we have an idiot in the White House that wants to double our green solar energy from a whopping .99% to a laughable 1.8% by 2045 why don’t they put that effort into fusion reactors! We are close to a full scale working plant now! Try throwing all that bs effort at fusion and really accomplish something worthwhile! Fusion is a thousand fold safer, long term radioactive waste isn’t an issue and the plant size and space is about half that of fission! Truly what we might call a win win!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Nuclear power plants have been around for decades and there have been more people killed in the back seat of Teddy Kennedy's car than in all the nuclear accidents in the entire US. They are also disposing of the waste safely for the time being. So I am comfortable with nuclear as things now stand while they are perfecting fission. Anything but the Circus that is now going on.  

The why is easy. If they develop fission it will become a dead issue and they will have to develop a whole new smoke screen to pawn off on the average non thinking voter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Last Indian said:

So I was inferring they use the money they would spend on solar & wind and develop in a shorter time frame fusion reaction! Which is not subject to a chain reaction like fission is! 

Last Indian, your going to have to explain this Fusion of atomic energy too me mate, i am justA plumber/ gas fitter who really only knows about class 2 and 3 gasses 

i know how to split atoms  a old kiwi guy by the name of Rutherford showed us that ! 😀

but i did watch chernobyl disaster  on tv and understood what they stuffed up !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 10:59 PM, Old guy44 said:

I cannot disagree with what you say especially the part about morons in government. I personally adhere to the conspiratorial view of history. I happen to believe that there is a consortium somewhere that is influencing everything we do in one way or another. For instance take a close look at how we got involved it WW1 and 2. Those are the biggies but there are countless examples of things for which there seems to be no other explanation. Power generation definitely falls into that category. What little I have delved into the issue there is no logical reason for the path we are taking. It is certainly not reducing emissions the cost per KWH appears to be astronomical. The problem of waste disposal for the batteries wind farm blades, generator maintenance and all the other issues that have been discussed by people that are in a position to know is alarming. You will never convince me that the politicians are ignorant of this so who is pushing it? Hitler was undoubtedly the most vile person in recent history but he got one thing right. If you tell the people a lie often enough and forcefully enough it eventually becomes the truth.

Somewhere in this thread the question was asked who has their hand up Bidens a.. making his mouth move. My personal opinion is that it is Commie Laharris. She seems to have disappeared from the scene and I am always concerned when someone at that level disappears. What are they up to that they don't want us to know about? 

Problem is that the peons at our level are generally stuck with choosing the lesser of 2 evils. Who or what is going to cause the least amount of trouble for us. Because the liberals control the school system they are not going to work at pumping out critical thinkers because they believe to their core that government is the answer to all issues. 

Old man, from another old man there is a great underlying force causing all of this and has been for longer than any of us can imagine! We might disagree as to what that is, but I’m sure we would definitely agree there is something! 
If you want chills to run up and down your spine? Read Revelation 8:10-11 it speaks of an angel named wormwood! Guess what, this is quite literally the event of Chernobyl! Chernobyl is the Ukrainian word for wormwood! Guess what else the number of people killed from Chernobyl has been hidden, but if you do a search, but you will have to look hard, you’ll find the death toll is actually in the millions & people are still dying to this day because of the contaminated water supply! So yeah you are right!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

Old man, from another old man there is a great underlying force causing all of this and has been for longer than any of us can imagine! We might disagree as to what that is, but I’m sure we would differently agree there is something! 
If you want chills to run up and down your spine? Read Revelation 8:10-11 it speaks of an angel named wormwood! Guess this is quite literally the event of Chernobyl! Chernobyl is the Ukrainian word for wormwood! Guess what else the number of people killed from Chernobyl has been hidden, but if you do a search, but you will have to look hard, you’ll find the death toll is actually in the millions & people are still dying to this day because of the contaminated water supply! So yeah you are right!

Oh I beleave your correct Last Indian ! 

The death toll will be on going for way past our life times ! 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Fission works on the bottom end of the periodic scale

As in the chemical periodic table ?

6 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Fission releases vast amounts of radiation with a half life that goes for thousands of years! Fusion releases small amounts of radiation with very short half life periods.

you need to draw me a picture 

how do you make the fission reaction ?

and how can that be applied to an energy sources that we can use safely ?

for the likes of transport... remember i am a petrolhead. so you will have to write slowly !! hahaha 

due to 54 years of oil contamination !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

As in the chemical periodic table ?

The elemental periodic table. Elements have atomic weight these weight determine where they fall in the table! These weights are relative to the number of neutrons & protons I each atom! The more neutrons the more radiation the element can generate! 

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

you need to draw me a picture 

how do you make the fission reaction ?

This gets a little involved! But non the less here goes! First you need, say uranium! What that means is like lots of elements in nature the uranium is mixed into other rock! So it must be mined, crushed, separated and made in to uranium 235! This is a involved process, but basically uranium 235 isotope goes from a natural .7 level to a 4.5 - 5 isotope pellet! That makes them very radioactive! When you expose enough of this pure material together the chain reaction of fission starts! The only thing that keeps it under control is cooling! Water is used to do this because a portion of the water is turned to steam which is used to drive a steam turbine! Which in turn drives a generator to make electricity!

• Like 1

The simple fact is this! We humans are not that smart! If we were we would have long ago figured out who to do what a single plant has know how to do since the beginning of time. Crack water! A plant takes in water and strips the hydrogen atom from the oxygen atom! Send rich oxygen into the air for us to breath and hydrogen into the atmosphere, without any electricity involved!

Imagine fill your tank with water! Hit the key, a pump turns on pushes the water through a nozzle that splits the water into two atoms the same way! The hydrogen goes the engine as well as the oxygen! Combustion takes place in the cylinders and guess what comes out the tail pipe? Water!! And we’re spending time and money making solar panel and burying wind turbine blades! 🤬!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

I took down my Rebel flag (which you can't buy on EBAY any more) and peeled the National Rifle Assoc. sticker off my front window.

I disconnected my home alarm system and quit the candy-ass Neighborhood Watch.

I bought two Pakistani flags and put one at each corner of the front yard.

Then I purchased the black flag of ISIS (which you CAN Buy on EBAY) and ran it up the flag pole.

Now the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7.

I've NEVER felt safer and I'm saving $69.95 a month that ADT used to charge me.

Plus, I bought burkas for me to wear when I shop or travel.

Everyone moves out of the way, and security can't pat me down.

If they say I'm a male wearing a burka, I just say I'm feeling like a woman today.

Hot Damn...Safe at last!

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

I took down my Rebel flag (which you can't buy on EBAY any more) and peeled the National Rifle Assoc. sticker off my front window.

I disconnected my home alarm system and quit the candy-ass Neighborhood Watch.

I bought two Pakistani flags and put one at each corner of the front yard.

Then I purchased the black flag of ISIS (which you CAN Buy on EBAY) and ran it up the flag pole.

Now the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching my house 24/7.

I've NEVER felt safer and I'm saving $69.95 a month that ADT used to charge me.

Plus, I bought burkas for me to wear when I shop or travel.

Everyone moves out of the way, and security can't pat me down.

If they say I'm a male wearing a burka, I just say I'm feeling like a woman today.

Hot Damn...Safe at last!

Careful! Joe may invite you to the White House! You may feel like a woman today, but Joe can get a little handsy! :rofl:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Last Indian said:

The elemental periodic table. Elements have atomic weight these weight determine where they fall in the table! These weights are relative to the number of neutrons & protons I each atom! The more neutrons the more radiation the element can generate! 

This gets a little involved! But non the less here goes! First you need, say uranium! What that means is like lots of elements in nature the uranium is mixed into other rock! So it must be mined, crushed, separated and made in to uranium 235! This is a involved process, but basically uranium 235 isotope goes from a natural .7 level to a 4.5 - 5 isotope pellet! That makes them very radioactive! When you expose enough of this pure material together the chain reaction of fission starts! The only thing that keeps it under control is cooling! Water is used to do this because a portion of the water is turned to steam which is used to drive a steam turbine! Which in turn drives a generator to make electricity!

ok that makes sense, and what a really hard way to make steam!!! to turn a turbine to generate electricity ! 

but there is hundreds or even thousands of there reactors around the planet :unsure:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Last Indian said:

The simple fact is this! We humans are not that smart! If we were we would have long ago figured out who to do what a single plant has know how to do since the beginning of time. Crack water! A plant takes in water and strips the hydrogen atom from the oxygen atom! Send rich oxygen into the air for us to breath and hydrogen into the atmosphere, without any electricity involved!

Imagine fill your tank with water! Hit the key, a pump turns on pushes the water through a nozzle that splits the water into two atoms the same way! The hydrogen goes the engine as well as the oxygen! Combustion takes place in the cylinders and guess what comes out the tail pipe? Water!! And we’re spending time and money making solar panel and burying wind turbine blades! 🤬!

we certainly are not smart mate ! but i am sure we will evolve over time or we will simply die out.......:unsure:

i do agree with your hydrogen idea ! its a  simple  process, and very low impact on the environment, and we have a shit load of water to extract it from.... i beleave its a tad volatile, but hay its way better than all the deadly  lithium batteries that are going to poison the planet ! 

hyundai have a production model all ready here in nz

https://www.hyundai.co.nz/next-gen/fuel-cell-technology

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just picked up on the news that one of my mates. 

on Sunday he stopped at a intersection and his 56 chev burst into flames, he got out, as far as i know he is ok, but details are lacking at this stage, i will post more details when i know more. very sad, someone posted the fire on facebook.

• Sad 2

Don't know what engine he has in it but if it is a later engine with a quadraJUNK carburetor I have seen many under hood fires caused by that questionable carburetor. Just a word of warning to anyone that runs one.

• Like 1

Turns out it wasnt my mates 56 chev, it was another local 56 that looked the same and a bit of fake news...

i rang my mate to check that he was ok and he had already herd about this other 56 that was a very similar colour to his going up in smoke... turns out it was a 56 2 door sedan 6 cylinder and it was  a fuel fire, the poor bugger was not insured😟 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know we are not a dodge site 

but one of my favorite toys is my super cool old 95 ram 1500 4x4 .

its a west coast truck and super clean no rust never bent,and super hi miles , it’s got a crate mopar engine and trans and drives really like a brand new 1995 ram 

and it was spotted at the last warrent of fitness check that the drivers side wheel bearings where sloppy ,

jumped on rock auto , $118 nz dollars I got a new bearing assembly .

Bolted in and no issues

but I have a shake in the front under braking . I was thinking it was this front wheel bearing ....  and that’s why I replaced it ... it was buggered !

still have a wobble...

but now I am looking at the disc ... 

i have dragged home 2 Bonneville's   from both ends of the north island and my thinking is I have warp a disc . With over heating 

so I have pulled them today and will drop them off at my brake shop Monday 

and get him to run them up and check they are running true👍

987B7909-8215-48D1-850B-926A045F6A41.jpeg

A83DAEE1-8485-442F-AF79-A457ECB875A4.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

If those don't check out, check your front hub assembly. I've had hubs go bad over time on my 4x4s.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

If those don't check out, check your front hub assembly. I've had hubs go bad over time on my 4x4s.

Yes mate 

I found the drivers side wheel bearing was loose , so I changed that and the shake was still there , had my brake shop mate shave the discs yesterday , he said they where both warped !

stuck them on last night , test drive and all working perfect again !!!

i think I over heated them dragging the Pontiac home last year ! 

The car trailer I hired , I don’t think the brakes worked on it , which in turn had put more pressure on the rams brakes ! 

• Like 2