Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Good thinking - thanks for the tip. Rather than just plunge in online and buy armfuls of wire, I'm going to get some advice from an auto electrician. Like everything else these days, the myriad choices are mind boggling. Not all automotive cables are equal - far, far from it.

I'm going to test the resistance across a metre of the original wire and it's modern equivalent before I start removing miles of wire - you never know, I might save myself some unnecessary work. Stay tuned for rivetting insights.

Mate !! evaluate before you go pulling all your factory wiring out !!!

matter of fact .. show us what you hate 

and what you recon is good to use … 

Nother Words … do nothing untill you can sort out what’s faulty …

I can’t remember .. did you replace your ignition switch ?????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B52bombardier1 said:

Take a look at what the people at American Auto Wiring (AAW) and Painless Wiring have to offer.  I'm running a "Classic Update" harness from AAW in my 70 El Camino and couldn't be happier.  The installation was relatively easy and is done in bite-sized chunks.  

Rick

Yeah, thanks Rick. I'm looking to make it a custom job so as to hide all the engine bay wiring and avoid unnecessary junctions as the wires pass through the car front to back. Also, it's a pretty bare bones vehicle so a generic factory harness copy will likely include plenty of extra wires that I won't need. I also intend making the entire job as neat as possible - something factory harnesses never do as it's all about keeping costs down, which is of course fair enough. I appreciate the suggestion and can I say I always loved El Caminos - they were what should have been available to Australians from the get go instead of the bland 6 cylinder workhorses we were forced to buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what you’re telling . I think you may have a simple dirty contact in your ignition. 
but !!!!!

Sort the out out of your alternator first ! 

Fark 

recon 

2 boxes of beer 

some nice steak on the bbg 

and we could sort this easy peasy 

• Haha 2

Come on you guys, it's not all about beer and Asian cuties serving up inedible animal based snacks - there are Pontiacs at stake.

Today was a supreme run around getting lots of things organised. Procured a Dymo labeller and some clear shrinkwrap to clearly identify my new wires. Took the Frosty tach & my fuel gauge to a place called Cairns Instruments. He looked at the ancient items that I deposited on his bench as if he'd never seen similar items before. This was when the alarm bells started ringing. He wouldn't delve into the innards of the fuel gauge and agreed to look at the tach to make sure it worked. I then took my dashpad to the best upholsterer in Cairns who refused to do what I wanted to it for fear of the adhesive not holding afterwards. I am really fed up with this friggin backwater of a two bit town. It's no place for a classic car, unless you send every damn component 2000 miles south where you might find a professional. So now once again I'll need to do every damn thing myself. Whatever.

Still need to research what sort of wire I'm going to use. Wasn't game to talk to any more so called professionals so will research what I can myself.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Come on you guys, it's not all about beer and Asian cuties serving up inedible animal based snacks - there are Pontiacs at stake.

stink ! :rofl:

20 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Still need to research what sort of wire I'm going to use. Wasn't game to talk to any more so called professionals so will research what I can myself.

My advise mate, clean up the fire wall plug, do some resistance tests to ensure each circut is sweat as and move on.

The wire in your car is old, but , unless you feel by assement that is shot... which i bet it isnt. justA replace what you feel is poor.

i have used a rewire kit and they are great! but that was on the mk1 with different engine, daykota dash gear, after market ecu and lots of custom stuff. 

Your car like mine and wrongways are stock as , i wouldnt be rippin too much out if you dont have to ..... oh oh... kiss !!

and with wiring... if it consumes you ..... walk away 

have  beer

think about it 

and hit it another day ... this is our hobby remember !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Yep - that's the plan. Better to carefully take resistance readings than pull wires out. At work right now, so researching guage sizes & relays when I can.

Apparently, one relay for both low beams & one for the highs. Horn came with it's own relay and I was going to include one for starter, wipers & blower motor. Can you think of any more (or less?) Car has no other big power accessories.

12ga wire seems to be the default with 16 or 18 for the high amp stuff. Opinions?

• Like 1

I wouldn’t bother for your starter mate 

it has a bloody great big relay on top of it. The current draw on the trigger wire is nothing compared to head lights and blower motor 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1