Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

23 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Mate ! What’s with all the long tailed rats / wallaby’s ? 
they are a pest here !image.thumb.jpeg.316dec9bb2b2d9608fec38b4ba1f6858.jpeg

Well, the wallabies are one type and the other smaller darker ones are called pademelons. Everything else is a pest, but not these.

Whilst cleaning my teeth this morning, I idly glanced out the window to see an olive tree python attempting to cross from one water tank to the other. The silly thing dropped to the ground then slithered off and found a tree to go up - better grip than a poly water tank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest instalment re the car: I was going great guns, new lifters, pushrods & roller rockers installed & adjusted, fitted the water pump & valley pan and was ready to fit the intake. I thought before I commit to applying sealant to everything, I'll just make extra sure that all the bolts line up. When I saw that it was NEVER going to fit, I remembered that the machinist had decked the block & heads by the tiniest amount just to true the surfaces. I looked at the old intake and after removing the old gaskets from it, could clearly see where it had been flycut to fit the newly machined heads. Bloody hell - scrape off my new gaskets (which promptly tore) and readied it to take to a machinist tomorrow to skim the sides. Then I sat down, cracked a beer and ordered yet again another set of intake gaskets. Weirdly, I test fitted the intake a while ago and it looked to be right. It was only after attempting to thread some bolts in that the error had become apparent.

Never mind - I need a break from stuff anyway.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

What a day. I had a list on my workbench and was sick of walking past it and making excuses why I shouldn't do this or that. I rewrote it (in correct geographical & chronological order) and jumped in the ute and drove about 200km in total and got everything done - procrastination sent packing.

One of the tasks was to get the new intake machined. I went to the machinist, told them the problem and the guy looked at it and said "hmm.."  Turns out it's not as simple as whacking a slice of metal off the faces and hope for the best. First of all: original intake was not touched by machinist. He said the flycut marks are factory. He told me to take the Edelbrock back home and fit it without the gaskets. If it sits nicely and bolts in, then the gasket thickness is what they'll use as a reference. I thought to myself "why didn't I do that yesterday?" Seems so obvious now. Well blow me down, I did exactly that and would you believe it, it bolts right in. The intake gaskets are .060" thick, so that's what has to come off each face. He said this is a common issue and they machine hundreds of intakes. All you budding engine builders reading this - take note.

Installed new valvetrian components yesterday. Easy to adjust rockers with valley pan removed as you can see where each cam lobe is. Checked geometry, but lift is so minimal (stock half inch) that roller contacts valve stem perfectly through it's very short arc.

Couldn't resist taking some pics for you - engine is looking really nice.

20231106_160655.jpg

20231106_160753.jpg

Looking good.

Are you blocking off the preheat ports?

I had to get thicker valve cover gaskets so the rockers wouldn't hit, keep an eye out for that.

I assume you have to make new bracket for throttle cable? No wait you don't have a cable?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hi Andy. Yep - preheat ports are definitely being blocked off. They were when I did the original rebuild. I shall keep an eye on possible contact between rockers & covers but I think it's safe, and no throttle cable for me, just a rod. The manifold came with all sorts of bibs & bobs including an alternate throttle mounting bracket. I only need one bolt to secure the rod system so that should be easy..remember those words. What I DO have to consider is where I'm going to get vacuum from for the distributor. There are plenty of threaded holes for that purpose so that too shouldn't be too much of a drama.

Frosty thinks I'm going to do this for a living. I'll be hungry & homeless in a week.

So you are running manifold vacuum to the distributor instead of ported?

• Like 1

Retirement is for much older people than me. It's my newest saying. I think I felt an obligation to retire since I reached a particular age, but that's crap. I now know I cannot and will not retire...yet.

• Haha 2

Picked up newly machined intake manifold yesterday - the machining cost almost as much as the damn manifold...this is going to end up a very expensive exercise. But that wasn't the end of it, no, no, no. After bringing it home and test fitting it (fits nicely) I thought I'd make sure all the necessary fittings were indeed going to fit. Welcome to the murky world of BSP adapters. We all know about different threads, right? How to measure BSP: you measure the distance between (or across) the threads and then minus 25%. Honestly, who thought this one up? The new intake comes with an assortment of plugs and fittings to cover MOST scenarios, but not all...even though it has 'Performer Pontiac' clearly embossed upon it. I won't go into too much detail but in order to fit my PCV fitting and temp gauge sender, I needed adapters. No point going into the shop with a piece of paper with measurements on it - you need to take the manifold in and make sure what they sell you is going to thread in. At the end of the day - everything is threaded in and sealed with a light coating of RTV on the threads. I recleaned the intake to get the machinist's grimy fingerprints off it and am now waiting for new gaskets to arrive - prolly Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Oh - I told machinist that I was cursed with a batch of faulty Mellings lifters. He said there are plenty of bad lifters out there. He said someone had recently fitted some Crow lifters and they failed and wrecked his engine - after the third day after installation. Tread carefully if you are shopping for lifters. I would have loved to have gone for solids, but that means new cam and apparently solids are hard on the valvetrain as there's no hydraulic cushioning. They mitigate this with a more gentle ramp on cam lobes. No wonder I don't sleep at night.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Right - Ames order turned up so straight into it. This time I ordered Edelbrock intake gaskets - apparently you need to use a softer gasket when bolting aluminium to cast iron. Get this: I had to trim (quite extensively) those gaskets just so they would fit. I had to trim the underside edge to clear the valley pan and had to lop off one end because it was too long and was going to foul the heater hose takeoff on one side and on the other it served no purpose at all. Heed my advice: if you are also going to fit an Edelbrock manifold, stick with Mr Gasket gaskets which have always been a perfect fit for me. Fortunately, the Edelbrock ones had an exhaust crossover plug in each gasket, but not as neat as the Mr Gasket ones, I thought. So, after fiddling about, I glued them onto the heads, test fitted the intake, smeared a litte RTV on it's faces and whacked her in. You'll see from the pics that I neatened my old aftermarket temp gauge sender unit arrangement and this time plumbed it directly into the manifold - something I couldn't do with the stock intake. I also modified the PCV intake and it's now snug & neat. I also ordered a remanufactured alternator and new regulator so bolted those in too. Everything looks nice - can probably try and start it tomorrow and see if it runs!

20231117_161558.jpg

20231117_161611.jpg

20231117_161622.jpg

Nice and clean installation, like your routing of the temp gauge Sensor.

• Like 2