Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Flew home today. After we unpacked and did a few domestics, I immediately chucked on my work clothes and got out into the 'garden ' aka uncontrolled bush and went to town trimming & pulling out weeds and cleaning up. In short - I couldn't wait to get out and actually DO something. This doesn't bode well for the spectre they call 'retirement.' I can now admit it - I'm not ready. So, I have a question for the greater FP audience: is anybody reading this actually retired? I mean, has actively withdrawn completely from paid employment? It's a scenario which I never thought I'd struggle with, but here we are. 

I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, but just the other day I had a minor epiphany re you have to earn your time off. You need to have earnt a cold beer, or a holiday or a vanilla slice. You can't just saunter through life having whatever you want. You know how mega wealthy rock stars top themselves? They do it because they can have whatever they want - there's nothing life can offer them that they can't have...except for purpose & fulfillment, I guess. Much to consider. Too many brain cells still functioning - where's my drink? THERE it is! Cheers. Damn you brain cells - take that!

• Haha 2

Great responses - thanks. Because of my small acreage, there will always be something to do, but also because we live out in the sticks, social interactions are largely absent. Believe me, I can do without humans but in order to maintain functionality, one must mix on occasion. This is where working part time not only provides a trickle of income but allows me to maintain some form of social contact. I intend to keep working either part time or as a casual and thereby I will be happy that I 'earnt' my leisure time. I guess we all have to find our own path. Also, the global economic outlook is looking pretty grim these days, so a little extra income might be handy.

I'd better bite the bullet and join a local car club so I can get the GP out and about more often too. There is an All American Car Club, but I've been told they're a bunch of wankers! As a bona fide wanker, I'll make my own judgement.

Speaking of the GP, the speedo cable is making a racket and now the odometer has stopped working - it's my only reliable indicator of tank range since the fuel gauge is WAY out. Looks like I'll be rolling under the car pretty soon...once it gets a bit warmer.

• Like 2

Nothing Pontiac related (see the recurring theme here?) but I took my mountain bike into the shop for some long overdue repairs. Then I jacked up the back of the Yaris and readjusted the rear drum brakes. Whilst there I checked the oil & coolant. Bloody Toyotas - nothing to fiddle with! Next, I added some engine flush to the ute and took it for a decent run, changed the oil & filter expecting molasses to blob out - nowhere near as bad as I imagined. Ute runs so well with functioning thermostat. Looked at GP each time I passed it on my way to do something else. Will take her for a spin over the weekend and will book it in for it's brake upgrade sometime in September. Then I suppose I'd better put it on stands and have a go at the speedo cable. I'm sure the clack clack clack of the cable is the reason why the odometer has stopped. Do I really have to pull the dash apart again and dismantle the speedo? Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Nothing Pontiac related (see the recurring theme here?) but I took my mountain bike into the shop for some long overdue repairs. Then I jacked up the back of the Yaris and readjusted the rear drum brakes. Whilst there I checked the oil & coolant. Bloody Toyotas - nothing to fiddle with! Next, I added some engine flush to the ute and took it for a decent run, changed the oil & filter expecting molasses to blob out - nowhere near as bad as I imagined. Ute runs so well with functioning thermostat. Looked at GP each time I passed it on my way to do something else. Will take her for a spin over the weekend and will book it in for it's brake upgrade sometime in September. Then I suppose I'd better put it on stands and have a go at the speedo cable. I'm sure the clack clack clack of the cable is the reason why the odometer has stopped. Do I really have to pull the dash apart again and dismantle the speedo? Stay tuned!

Should Justa be able to reach up N loosen the retainer nut. Same at transmission.

• Like 1

Today our local waste transfer station had a 'Free Green Waste Day.' I had been planning for this, so took 3 ute & trailer loads of greenery. We've had so much rain that when I parked the ute & trailer in my backyard, I had to use 4WD to get out!

After all that, I looked at the GP and thought I'd have a go at the speedo cable. I undid the knurled knob at the back of the speedo and simply pulled the entire cable & housing into the engine bay - easy. I could then pull the actual cable out of the housing. It was absolutely clean. I wouldn't say it was dry, but I ran a rag over it and inspected the rag - spotless. I then inserted a length of fencing wire into the housing and pulled it out expecting it to be gunked up. Nada. I lightly greased the cable whilst inserting it back into the housing and buttoned everything up again. I'll test drive it tomorrow - I'm hoping that was all that was needed. I really need the odometer to work: every 100 miles, I chuck 25 litres into it. Then I know I'll have enough until it ticks over to the next 100 increment. 

Not just a pretty face, you know. Okay - reasonably good looking...how about not quite as horribly disfigured that I scare small children when in public.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Kiwi - I tried to send you a message but it says that you 'cannot receive messages.' I was just wondering if you (and/or) Ringo were aware.

5 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hey Kiwi - I tried to send you a message but it says that you 'cannot receive messages.' I was just wondering if you (and/or) Ringo were aware.

He must have blocked you.  Mine sent.  :naughty:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

That’s odd mate ! I haven’t changed any settings !

I justA said hello to Steve …

I have been busy putting up a tunnel house to expand my hydroponics .. big sucker too !! 6m x 15 m

oh and I bought another car :rofl: 

JustA send ya a pm mate … it’s got to be your account maybe … ringo help ! Haha 

• Haha 1

It wouldn't surprise me if he blocked me - I can be irritating.

So, Kiwi - you bought another car? What, were you running low? Well...what is it? What rusting piece of automotive archeology have you dragged out of the mud now?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

So, Kiwi - you bought another car? What, were you running low? Well...what is it? What rusting piece of automotive archeology have you dragged out of the mud now?

i cant tell you mate! its a surprise !

It ceratinly will be to my  boss !!!:rofl::bowdown:.......... she said something about NO MORE  .... c....... ah i forget !!! pfft any way pass me a beer.. cheers :cheers:

lets justA say its for the 63 safari build......

and i shouldnt be hoging your thread !! farq i have my own !!!:cheers:

soo sad for the people on maui ! i have been there many times and i justA love the place ! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Finally took car for a test drive. Speedo needle kept clicking but after a few minutes it all settled down and now the needle is steady and the odometer has come back to life. An easy fix for once. BUT, of course it's never going to be all roses, is it? As I was driving home I noticed that the voltmeter had dropped to just under 12V - it's normally just a little over. The alternator is the only thing in the engine bay that hasn't been replaced. I figure that the volts should be just over 14 as the car is running, so it could be the ancient original regulator. I'll take it to a sparky and see what they say.

Booked it in for it's brake upgrade today. The first thing the mechanic asked me is whether they supplied a proportioning valve with the new master cylinder. Well, no they didn't. A question for the FP Brains Trust: will I need a P valve? I checked the factory workshop manual and there is no mention of one factory fitted. Will the dual master require that valve? I know front disc braked cars have one in order to modulate pressure to the rears, but only the master is getting swapped out: it's factory drums all round.

• Like 2

I  don’t see any need for a proportioning valve mate .. the only time you would need that is when too much pressure is going to the back brakes causing them to lock up under hard braking .. 

bet your drum drum set up will not do that :cheers:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

That looks like a great place to store N grow replacement parts!  Why didn't we think of this before?  Chris your a genius!

shhhhhhhhhhhh. the boss will hear you !:rofl:

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I  don’t see any need for a proportioning valve mate .. the only time you would need that is when too much pressure is going to the back brakes causing them to lock up under hard braking .. 

bet your drum drum set up will not do that :cheers:

Yep - I agree.

One more question: I read that when connecting brake lines, the front reservoir is for the rear brakes & vice versa. Sound right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Yep - I agree.

One more question: I read that when connecting brake lines, the front reservoir is for the rear brakes & vice versa. Sound right?

correct mate ! 

when you push the pedal, the first plunger sends fluid to the front slave cylinders , then..as you contiune to push, the second plunger engauges and sends fluid to the rears ! 

so make sure they plumb it in correct ! haha.:dancingpontiac:

oh oh !!! AND 

Get them to coil off the master cylinder mate !! like andy and i have done with our single port master cylinders !!!! 

Your chassis is on rubber bushings ... it moves around under your body that the master cylinder is mounted too ! you soooo need to allow for that movement, or unions will move and crack/leak  

• Like 2