Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Fabio Parede's 1969 Catalina

2023 June
of the Month

  • Welcome!

    Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Fitzy's GP is back!


Recommended Posts

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hey bro, Amazon has that Dorman part# for $6 USD a pack & Ebay (sorry kiwi :lol:) has them for $20 and below. I don't know if that'll work for you, again I have know idea how shipping to yall works.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wrongway, as you can see from Allen's Fasteners the actual bolts are only about 80c each, but $44 to ship 10 bolts is just silly. If one of their employees went to the post office and bought a padded envelope, it'd probably cost $10 to send to me. I found a pack on ebay for about $20 but it's another $20 to post. I know - $40 isn't much, but for 10 bolts it is.

I can't find the correct size ones in Oz, well not cheap enough anyway - Holden ones are too small and anything else is priced like gold.

Maybe I should find a cheaper hobby, like share trading. What could go wrong there?

Oh, I tried to pry the little stainless caps off my existing bolts and it's impossible. Does anyone know why they even went to the trouble in the first place? I'd be happy to remove those caps and hand the bolts to the powdercoater and have them done as well.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fitzy, it looks really good from the pictures bro. I think I'm going to start looking into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks buddy. Super happy you got the bolts & nuts bro. No $44 shipping! :cheers:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks pretty close bro. Wonder how it will sparkle it the sun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wrongway said:

That looks pretty close bro. Wonder how it will sparkle it the sun.

yes, i would be interested to see it in the sun too Fitzy.:cheers:

17 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Here's a bit of luck. I 'thought outside the square' last night and decided to look for similar bolts for the bumper reattachment rather than special bumper bolts. I made a list of all the relevant nut & bolt suppliers locally, dedicated an entire day to it and set off this morning. The very first place I went to had exactly what I wanted. Admittedly when I asked for 7/16" he looked at me like I had just parked my spaceship in the carpark, so I settled for M10 which made him happy. 

Total cost: 20 Australian pesos for 10 stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts.

Happy? Beer will be consumed later to celebrate this occasion.

Wrongway - I'll reattach the bumper and get the car out in the sun and get some proper pics for you.

20230525_121034.jpg

that fixes the issue, really fast mate !!:dancingpontiac:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I promise these are the last pics of my land yacht - they are for Wrongway to assist in his decision re chroming. I took one of the back to put real chrome in context. In the sunlight, I guess powdercoating is somewhere between really shiny silver paint and weathered chrome. All things being relative it's a vast improvement on the ratty old chrome.

On a different topic - is anyone else experiencing weird image stuff going on? Ringo - you might not be aware of it but if I expand a photo, all sorts of pixellated detritus comes up. FYI I use a tablet.

20230526_121448.jpg

20230526_121409.jpg

20230526_121401.jpg

20230526_121427.jpg

Edited by Fitzy
Moaning again.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll take the blame for your land yacht picture posting Fitzy. I enjoy looking at the old girl. Yeah, I still think it looks pretty good, especially for the cost bro. I wonder how that would look with black candy shot over it. Kinda like a black chrome maybe. But I will say that your powder coat chrome looks a lot better than my chrome at this point. Thanks again buddy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

I'll take the blame for your land yacht picture posting Fitzy. I enjoy looking at the old girl. Yeah, I still think it looks pretty good, especially for the cost bro. I wonder how that would look with black candy shot over it. Kinda like a black chrome maybe. But I will say that your powder coat chrome looks a lot better than my chrome at this point. Thanks again buddy.

i like your thinking Wrongway about the black chrome/ candy.. but you have to theme your car to it... for me, sorry fitzy. i will want full on chrome. the front bumper is ok, but...thats justA me.

 i fancy the girl to shine like she was brand new if i am going to pay money.... but for me its about showing her age gracefully... well thats my idea for the 64 ...

The 57, is getting fully rechromed, max !!!!:dancingpontiac:63 has what looks like good bumpers, i have left them sitting out side my shed door, so if i get a wet day, and have nothing to do, i am going to clean them..... fitzys thinking at this point wtf is kiwi on about.

Each of us has their own ideas and mind set on what they want out of there ponti... and thats the cool part about what we are doing here:cheers:

By the way pete, dont you dare stop posting pics of the 65 !!!:bowdown:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fitzy, that’s exciting !!! Your first show :cheers:

What are your plans … are you going to do a display or make a picture board of all your hard work ? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uh, no. It's my second show - same venue just a year later. I'm simply going to park up, open the hood and all the windows and field questions & comments from mostly old men who rattle on whilst I can feel my life draining away!

It was a really good event last time (remember the Cortina on a trailer for sale?) and I'm looking forward to it - it's about as social as I get these days.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Uh, no. It's my second show - same venue just a year later. I'm simply going to park up, open the hood and all the windows and field questions & comments from mostly old men who rattle on whilst I can feel my life draining away!

It was a really good event last time (remember the Cortina on a trailer for sale?) and I'm looking forward to it - it's about as social as I get these days.

ah yes !!! of course ! 

bet you will enjoy it while being drained by old fellas banging on about,, back in the day i had...... blah blah blah! hehehe .

hay, do you remember all my pines trees when you visited !! the buggers are getting chopped down !! i have a contractor coming in with a harvester to take them down!! am sooo pleased, the things have made such a mess with their neddles everywhere !!

its all part of my master plan!!!! as notallthere would say... muhahahahaha...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me guess...you're going to replace them with Pontiacs buried nose first a la Cadillac Ranch. Nice. The Boss is going to kill you.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a VERY quiet day today, didn't even make it to the front fence in a bout of extreme pottering. Most of the pottering was domestic crap around the house & yard but I also managed to remove the light mould that had formed on my headlining - the tropics aren't ideal for car storage. As I was circling the car looking at it's paint I decided that it MUST get painted. Unfortunately it'll highlight all the bits that aren't perfect but maybe I'm the only one who'll notice whilst regular punters ooh & aah at it's shiny new coat. There - I have made the commitment ro the wider FP audience so am now accountable to follow it through. Where's my beer - there it is. Cheers.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Let me guess...you're going to replace them with Pontiacs buried nose first a la Cadillac Ranch. Nice. The Boss is going to kill you.

What a great idea :cheers:

down side is … I dont think there is enough spare pontiacs to go planting them ! :dancingpontiac:

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I had a VERY quiet day today, didn't even make it to the front fence in a bout of extreme pottering. Most of the pottering was domestic crap around the house & yard but I also managed to remove the light mould that had formed on my headlining - the tropics aren't ideal for car storage. As I was circling the car looking at it's paint I decided that it MUST get painted. Unfortunately it'll highlight all the bits that aren't perfect but maybe I'm the only one who'll notice whilst regular punters ooh & aah at it's shiny new coat. There - I have made the commitment ro the wider FP audience so am now accountable to follow it through. Where's my beer - there it is. Cheers.

Sooo with this beer infused idea of a repaint … that’s going to lose all her history .. that will mean you can’t retire yet ! As you will have this great big fat panel n paint bill :rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been saving furiously for the paint and have a 5 figure amount now ready to dedicate to it. If it's going to exceed that, I'll buy 4 litres of red paint and a coupla brushes.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

I have been saving furiously for the paint and have a 5 figure amount now ready to dedicate to it. If it's going to exceed that, I'll buy 4 litres of red paint and a coupla brushes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZynVAqeIpY

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.