Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

12 hours ago, Fitzy said:

If it is rivetting entertainment that you want, then best to tune in to Kiwi's neverending saga of 'Rusty Wrecks I Must Have.

i justA dont want to get Bored mate :cheers::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Just when you thought I couldn't post anything more boring than the last one, do I have a treat for you!

I managed to put a little paint on those letters - I didn't want it perfect coz it's gotta match the rest of the car. I bought the smallest quality paintbrush that I could then carefully applied the tiniest dab of paint...and that shit ran everywhere. Friggin paintbrush managed to find any space between the letters. I abandoned that and after cleaning up the mess with acetone, I simply moistened a fine cotton rag held tightly over my forefinger and wiped the paint across the letters. That worked - a hot tip for those wishing to do a similar task. Anyway, it turned out all right. Will reattach tomorrow and I'll probably take her out for a quick blast to keep everything working.

20230511_165454.jpg

That’s exactly how I would do it mate :cheers:

And look ! It came out perfect 👍

Acetone is a plumbers best mate :dancingpontiac:it melts everything :rofl:

• Haha 2

Thanks Fitzy. I can't wait to see what you have to say about yours. Is that the color you're doing yours in? I actually been thinking about powder coating the chrome over the last week or so, so maybe this is a sign. :rofl: I'v even been looking at building an oven later this year so maybe I can do it myself, we'll have to see about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Thanks Fitzy. I can't wait to see what you have to say about yours. Is that the color you're doing yours in? I actually been thinking about powder coating the chrome over the last week or so, so maybe this is a sign. :rofl: I'v even been looking at building an oven later this year so maybe I can do it myself, we'll have to see about that.

Wrongway ! If you build a power coating oven . You know we love pic around here !! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wrongway said:

If I build it I'll post pics for sure bro. Still undecided because it has to be big enough to fit my bumpers.

Kiwi has his pizza oven,  get his plans.  Adjust to fit.  Damn, now I'm hungry.   Ham, mushroom N sweet peppers,,,,,OHHH yea

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Kiwi has his pizza oven,  get his plans.  Adjust to fit.  Damn, now I'm hungry.   Ham, mushroom N sweet peppers,,,,,OHHH yea

Your making meeeee hungry too !!

I did use my pizza oven to bake my paint on the long branch headers on the 64 … worked a treat :cheers:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Sounds like you need to start a part time power coat business. We all know how much free time you have. :rofl:

Nononono !!! 
our local power coat guy … Peter .. he does a great job but every time I see him his face is covered in dust … I wonder what his lungs must look like !!! 🤢

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Today I did it the easy way and simply unbolted those 4 big bolts and the bumper just slid out, although there is some massive reinforcing bar that sits inside the bumper near the top - probably to assist in ramraiding ATMs, not that there were any in 1965.

The bumper is a real mess and I'm glad I finally got proactive with it. I unbolted the various supports (one snapped bolt) and decided that since the bumper is going to be away for quite some time, I may as well do it properly and derust and paint all the associated frontal areas. The pics show the front sheetmetal that is normally hidden and the braces and horns - all lightly wirebrushed, sanded and treated with rust converter. I also cleaned up the red paint that is normally virtually unreachable with the bumper in place with rubbing compound, cut & polish and some wax. I'll chuck some paint on the derusted bits tomorrow and will deliver the bumper to the powdercoater on Monday.

Did you know that those chrome bumper bolts actually have a little metal cap on them? I had to hold one of the heads with vicegrips in order to get the rusted nut off but nothing was happening. I knew I had the head firmly gripped but the nut wasn't loosening. It was when I closely inspected the bolt that I noticed the cap had deformed with the vicegrip pressure. I pried it off and then no problem.

Am currently sourcing replacement bolts - normally an easy task but there are 2 that are longer than the rest, so I need 8 x 1" long ones and 2 x 1.25". If it's too hard, I'll just get 10 x 1.25". Naturally there are several diameters - B bodies use 7/16" if anyone's interested.

20230513_115506.jpg

20230513_115521.jpg

20230513_115544.jpg

20230513_120240.jpg

20230513_151805.jpg

20230513_151746.jpg

I have some spare bumper bolts if you would like them ? 

The 64 has  that big steel strap inside the front of the bumper too … have no idea why ! 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Did your powder coat guy say how long it would be before you get the bumper back??? I can't wait to see it.

I think it's going to be a while, since he'll have to actually order the powders from the US. I know you're keen to see the result, but realistically I'm thinking about a month?

14 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

I have some spare bumper bolts if you would like them ? 

Kiwi - I would love those bolts. I'm assuming they're in reasonable condition, the correct 7/16" diameter and 1" long? I still need 2 x 1.25" long as well. If so, let's do a deal, otherwise I found a set on ebay that's going to cost about AU$70 by the time it gets delivered here. Are you sure you won't need them for one of your many rusty relics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I'm very interested bro. I've got other things I need to finish up before I'm ready to think about the bumpers. But I'll be waiting for the pics :lol:

I did also check out that website. They have some really cool, bright, poppin colors!

Edited by Wrongway
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I think it's going to be a while, since he'll have to actually order the powders from the US. I know you're keen to see the result, but realistically I'm thinking about a month?

Kiwi - I would love those bolts. I'm assuming they're in reasonable condition, the correct 7/16" diameter and 1" long? I still need 2 x 1.25" long as well. If so, let's do a deal, otherwise I found a set on ebay that's going to cost about AU$70 by the time it gets delivered here. Are you sure you won't need them for one of your many rusty relics?

Mate don’t buy stuff off eBay !

I will find you the best and take sone pictures … I have two whole spare front bumpers with all those bolts on them !

I can justA post them over to you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay - the minimum I need is 8 x 1" & 2 x 1.25 (or longer)." The longer ones sit just above the indicators on my car, ie. that's the upper ones inboard. Anything outside of and underneath those are 1", all 7/16" diameter. I don't need washers or nuts. Let me know how you go - there's no hurry. Thanks, man.

I found a nice little website called Allen's Fasteners where they are cheap as chips but the shipping is ridiculous. I also found the other extreme - try $74 for ONE PAIR.  Check out the screenshots.

Okay...Yee Haa! Hillbilly Paint Shop was open today. Gave GP front hidden sheetmetal and bumper braces & horns a good coat of rustproof paint, loaded the bumper into the ute and off it goes tomorrow. I also wirebrushed, cleaned the threads and lubed up the old bolts, washers & nuts I can reuse, so they'll certainly go on much easier than they came off.

Screenshot_20230514-102106_Chrome.jpg

20230514_171117.jpg

20230514_123247.jpg

• Like 2