Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

well you will be please to know i have my avs2 in hand... down side is, i have to find time to fit it !! 

i did feed the seagul and its buggered off now so i cant even ask it to pick up your carb from your "shop" and deliver it too you .

sorry :rofl:

Its pissing down here again ! mid summerrain april GIF ! so i may even get time this long weekend ! if the boss lets me:bowdown:

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Yep - raining here too. I reckon carb will be here waiting for me sometime next week but I have a gutter to put up and some tiling to consider. I say consider, because I'll consider the task, decide it's too hot and will crack a beer instead. THAT'S how you lay tiles.

Now gutters are plumbing ! But wtf !! Why do you need gutters where you live ?

• Haha 1

Since you ask, we have no town water access so all our water needs are from stored rainwater: gutters & tanks. But this next gutter is simply to stop the cascading water from our patio scouring out the ground beneath it. There's always something to do around here - the Pontiac is just another task. Speaking of the Pontiac, I promised myself to start saving for it's paint job since starting my new better paying job and so I have done just that.

I know you guys are knowledgeable when it comes to paint, so: I want to replicate the factory Montero Red (I've had the good condition paint inside the door jambs spectro analysed and have the code.) I want the finish to look like factory and not a custom job, but with a little more shine.  So, what sort of paint should I use? Is it enamel with a couple of clear coats? As usual, your input is appreciated.

• Like 1

mate, i am using a primer that you add a hardner too.

and my paint shop mate is going to blow a water based top coat over it. not sure what brand it is but he was saying all paint shops use water born paints now.. the hellcat is an example, and its got a really nice shine on it. thats my :my2cents:

wrongway is the man for paint advise i feel :cheers:

• Like 2

I personally love Deltron paints specifically the Deltron 2000 series, but I don't know if yall can get Deltron over there. PPG makes it, and it's fairly easy to shoot. Here's the number I call when I need a specific paint code, 1-800-637-8889. I'm sure they can tell you if it's sold over their bro and they've got great customer service. As far as "shine", if you're not wanting 'Custom or show car" shine then stay away from the High Velocity, Ultra Velocity and Ultra High Velocity these are "glamor" clears. The higher up the scale you go the shine and price go also. When I'm trying to match a modern factory shine, I use High Teck clear. It's cheap, $60usd for a gallon of clear with a quart of hardener. It looks great for everyday cars and if you want a little more shine then you can cut and polish it. But it does look great straight from the gun. Also, that high Teck is the most durable clearcoat that I have personally ever seen as far as being scratch resistant. Now with that said. If I'm just shooting a basic or "insurance job" paint job, I'll use Omni. Omni Is a lower cost alternative to Deltron or PPG, It's about 25% of what PPG charges but what takes 2 coats with PPG, Delton or HoA will take 3 coats with Omni. Hope that helps a little bro

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

I personally love Deltron paints specifically the Deltron 2000 series, but I don't know if yall can get Deltron over there. PPG makes it, and it's fairly easy to shoot. Here's the number I call when I need a specific paint code, 1-800-637-8889. I'm sure they can tell you if it's sold over their bro and they've got great customer service. As far as "shine", if you're not wanting 'Custom or show car" shine then stay away from the High Velocity, Ultra Velocity and Ultra High Velocity these are "glamor" clears. The higher up the scale you go the shine and price go also. When I'm trying to match a modern factory shine, I use High Teck clear. It's cheap, $60usd for a gallon of clear with a quart of hardener. It looks great for everyday cars and if you want a little more shine then you can cut and polish it. But it does look great straight from the gun. Also, that high Teck is the most durable clearcoat that I have personally ever seen as far as being scratch resistant. Now with that said. If I'm just shooting a basic or "insurance job" paint job, I'll use Omni. Omni Is a lower cost alternative to Deltron or PPG, It's about 25% of what PPG charges but what takes 2 coats with PPG, Delton or HoA will take 3 coats with Omni. Hope that helps a little bro

Hmmm, i think Fitzy might want to offer you a hoilday in oz Wrongway... and paint his car :rofl:

• Haha 1

Thanks Wrongway - that sounds prefect. I'm pretty sure we have PPG over here, so I'll do some research. Kiwi - what's the idea of adding hardener to primer? I've never heard of that.

• Like 1

Our condolences for another family loss.

Lisa Loring, the original Wednesday Addams who played the spooky scion in the 1960s sitcom The Addams Family, has died at the age of 64.

image.png.9618c44fbc86934542bf4082e6122de7.png

• Sad 3

This pic amuses me. Just because the cruel minority on FP suggested that I might look a little like Fester, all of a sudden anything Addams Family related is plonked onto my thread.

Anyway, let's move on. My rebuilt carb came back from Jupiter and I just need time to get under the hood and put it back on. That goddam electric choke is shitting me already - I'm gonna disconnect it. I hate those damn things.

I'll let y'all know how the shakedown run goes. If it's all good, I'll try and convince a friend to take a vid of the car in motion and in full song. It DOES sound good and when running well, it has ample power.

• Like 2

An update on pedal trim: like everything else for my particular car, some things are almost impossible to find. I have managed to find an accelerator pedal with trim on ebay and am now having trouble with Frank's Pontiac Parts who are being obstructive & difficult re the brake pedal trim. So I tried another ebay search and would you believe it, found a pair of GM NOS brake pedal trims, so I ordered them. The collective price of the accelerator & brake trims (incl shipping & GST) is going to be almost US$200! 

If anyone would like one GM NOS brake pedal trim to suit a B body auto, Fitzy's Pontiac Parts is now in business.

Goodbye Frank. I will never deal with you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

JustA - those links you posted are for manual cars, A bodies and the park brake trim. Fullsize autos are different AND inexplicably, my car already has the park brake trim! Anyway, it's all good. I found both and they are on the way.

What does Sonic Motors supply?

• Like 2

Most anything 60's 70's  Pontiac.   Links were to show you they are out there, wasn't gonna spend all day searching. Busy day running around with the wife.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Most anything 60's 70's  Pontiac.   Links were to show you they are out there, wasn't gonna spend all day searching. Busy day running around with the wife.

i know the feeling !! running around with the wife isnt what it was 30 years ago !!!:rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Hey - don't worry. I have done nothing but run around like a headless chook since I woke up on Friday. In spite of all my running around, it rained just about all day today, so it was a good time to pop the hood and bolt the carb back on. I took my time, disconnected the auto choke, double checked everything, got out the syringe and filled both float bowls, replaced the air cleaner, reconnected the battery and thought "this is it." Got in, turned the key and she popped straight into life, even after sitting for 2 months. She idled nicely from dead cold and it seems the carb rebuilder must have set the idling speed & mixture when they run tested it. It was too wet to go for a test drive - I'll give that a shot next Friday.

• Like 2

Nice mate 👍

same weather here !!! Rain rain oh and after that more rain !!!

it hasn’t let  up !!

by my counting it has rained here every week since September . And mostly every day !

it’s so wtf ! 
tropical ! 
yeasterday 

rained at 6 am … got up to 36 c during the day then rained again at 10pm while it was 24 c !! 

• Haha 2

A day of mixed emotions defines today. Took the car for it's post carb rebuild test drive and it's smooth as silk. Got out on the highway, gave it a little pedal and the same issue: stumbling & missing. I am still convinced it's fuel because you can feel the car wanting to deliver full power but it keeps carrying on, yet it will cruise on a light pedal all day without issue. The only component left that isn't new or rebuilt is the distributor itself. Eliminating a possible faulty ignitor module I removed it and went back to brand new points & condenser. After some fiddling with the timing I took it for another drive and it is much better but still not perfect. What is going on?

I'm now thinking fuel tank or crudded up inline fuel filter. In the past I POR 15ed the inside of the tank and the filter is new, along with the pump. F#$%&d if I know. Where's my beer...?

• Like 1