Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On this occasion, I like the way you think. I don't mind faded patchy paint, but a crappy bumper just spoils the front of the car because it is so big and makes such a statement. Mind you, if I sit behind the steering wheel, I can't see it ergo there IS no problem.

Speaking of steering wheels, my reward for spending time under my mower cursing & grunting turned up today - the new steering wheel! It looks like a quality unit (and so it should be considering the cost) but I am a little surprised at the thickness of the woodrim. It is way thicker than a proper 60s vintage wheel but I'll gladly put up with it. I had a choice of slots or holes in the spokes and went with the slots. If I had a GTO, it'd be the holes. The GP is more of a hybrid luxo sports variant, so no use pretending it's a muscle car,  hence the 'softer' look of the slots.

One of tomorrow's jobs will be to fit that wheel. Just need a carby and the car may go again.

20230111_172713.jpg

• Like 2

Being a Rockauto customer I receive their monthly newsletter. This is an excerpt from last month's version: if you're having a shit day, this should improve your mood. This happened to me on my old Fairlane. I forgot to reattach the battery hold down: battery acid EVERYWHERE!

20230111_180325.jpg

• Like 1

Check into powdercoat, but don't mess with it until you find out what HE needs to do to prep it.  Same would be for chrome work.  You may Justa end up making these guys MUCH more work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

On this occasion, I like the way you think. I don't mind faded patchy paint, but a crappy bumper just spoils the front of the car because it is so big and makes such a statement. Mind you, if I sit behind the steering wheel, I can't see it ergo there IS no problem.

Speaking of steering wheels, my reward for spending time under my mower cursing & grunting turned up today - the new steering wheel! It looks like a quality unit (and so it should be considering the cost) but I am a little surprised at the thickness of the woodrim. It is way thicker than a proper 60s vintage wheel but I'll gladly put up with it. I had a choice of slots or holes in the spokes and went with the slots. If I had a GTO, it'd be the holes. The GP is more of a hybrid luxo sports variant, so no use pretending it's a muscle car,  hence the 'softer' look of the slots.

One of tomorrow's jobs will be to fit that wheel. Just need a carby and the car may go again.

20230111_172713.jpg

wow! that arrive quick !! great service !!:cheers:

cant wait to see what it looks like on the 65 !!:pop_corn:

i see its a grant... i hope the horn button mount works correct ! my grant on the camaro is a nightmare with how they designed the way the dome button presses onto the backing plate, dumb thing doesnt stay in place and pops off !!

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Being a Rockauto customer I receive their monthly newsletter. This is an excerpt from last month's version: if you're having a shit day, this should improve your mood. This happened to me on my old Fairlane. I forgot to reattach the battery hold down: battery acid EVERYWHERE!

20230111_180325.jpg

oh i read this the other day too !! what a mess battery acid would make !!!!:huh:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Check into powdercoat, but don't mess with it until you find out what HE needs to do to prep it.  Same would be for chrome work.  You may Justa end up making these guys MUCH more work.

That's a very good point. I might throw myself at the powdercoater again, burst into tears and demand that he helps me out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with polishing the metal and clear coating bro is that the metal will have no "tooth" for the clear to bite on to. Your clearcoat will eventually peal off. Normally in patches and look like crap. If you sand it and then clear it you'll see the scratches. Rechrome, powder coat as Justa suggested or paint them bro.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

The problem with polishing the metal and clear coating bro is that the metal will have no "tooth" for the clear to bite on to. Your clearcoat will eventually peal off. Normally in patches and look like crap. If you sand it and then clear it you'll see the scratches. Rechrome, powder coat as Justa suggested or paint them bro.

or......

......do what i am going to do .........

leave them as they are :cheers:

i had my local sign shop give me a quote for a chrome wrap... it was $1211.00nzd  for justA the front bumper !

it had to be smooth and flat, flake free

• Like 1

Well I ended up getting a good, clean, straight front bumper in those parts I got from New York. Now I justa have to figure out the rear bumper. Once again, I'm watching you too. 👀 Why does that scare me so much?  :rofl:

Edited by Wrongway
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hey Ringo: it's asking me if I'm tired of these ads. Let me be abundantly clear, I want as many of these ads as you can cram down my throat.

Apparently she's 46. What - grams of coke a day?

20230112_171249.jpg

oh my god Fitzy!!:rofl:

go back out to your carport and polish that 65 !:rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 5:34 PM, Wrongway said:

i agree with Chad on this mate.. :cheers:

• Like 1

Here's a challenge for you - does anyone know where I can get a set of accelerator & brake pedal chrome trim pieces? They seem to be available for manual cars, but not autos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks, boys. I'll get used to it. It'll be nice to have a carby to finish the car.

Hey, wow - I just ranked up to veteran. Looks like I finally got accepted into the Pontiac family. All I had to do was to buy a junker, empty my life savings into it, and curse and sweat and bleed and cry myself to sleep each night. Oh, and to sort mechanical issues at 3am. 😁

Walk in the park aye mate ! :rofl:

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Here's a challenge for you - does anyone know where I can get a set of accelerator & brake pedal chrome trim pieces? They seem to be available for manual cars, but not autos.

Come on … you know we like pictures around here ! What do they look like ?

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hey, wow - I just ranked up to veteran

Ahhhh , you have much still to learn grasshopper :dancingpontiac:

• Haha 2

Franks has your brake pedal with trim for $25 bro and a gas pedal for a 64 for $85 (not sure if that's the same as the 65) and a 65 gas pedal with linkage for $135. I didn't see justa the chrome bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wrongway. And for Kiwi, here are some stock images. You'd think that the trim for a Tempest AND a fullsize Poncho would be the same but I want to know for sure before I commit. I would have thought that they'd churn out hundreds of these at a time, but not so.

20230115_175658.jpg

20230115_175641.jpg

• Like 1

Carby update: 

There is no update. Looks like freight from Jupiter to Earth is   r e e a a a l   slow.

The car has been sitting so long that even it's resident spider has moved on.

• Haha 2

I have no doubt you will be cursing & fiddling before I will. Your seagull vs the might of Australia Post - no contest. Actually, I'm still waiting for confirmation from the carb rebuilder as to when it's finished, THEN I have to grow a beard waiting for Aus Post to get it's shit together.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I have no doubt you will be cursing & fiddling before I will. Your seagull vs the might of Australia Post - no contest. Actually, I'm still waiting for confirmation from the carb rebuilder as to when it's finished, THEN I have to grow a beard waiting for Aus Post to get it's shit together.

hahaha

GIF by Looney Tunes

• Haha 2