Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

3 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Have no idea where my post went wishing you luck on your surgery.  Pull your coil wire and sit the wire on top of the coil hole.  great anti theft.  Another good one is push your E brake down, mark a spot for a hole, drill and drop even a small key padlock so they can't release the brake. 

Thank you JustA: surgery went fine and those are great ideas re anti theft. I shall certainly do one and will look into the other once I can contort myself again. Last Indian (I think) offered a helpful suggestion a long time ago: route the negative coil wire through the firewall to a hidden switch and then back to the distributor. Even if they hotwire the coil, the car won't start whilst the switch has interrupted the circuit. 

I THINK I read something years ago about how rife carjacking was in Johannesburg. Now this is only anecdotal but I think I recall someone managed to electrify the exterior of their BMW with lotsa volts. Anyone who attempted to enter the car whilst you were stopped at a red light or something either got a jolt or got fried. I like the sound of that - great entertainment whilst you're tooling about late at night.

While I'm here, I have another technical question: I keep reading about people 'removing' the Pontiac intake coolant crossover. What's that all about?

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On 10/7/2023 at 2:15 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Mate are you watching Bathurst tomorrow ?

I am currently watching the top ten shootout 

Are the Bathhurst cars stock body with the factory based components....Engines...Brakes...chassis..etc...That anyone could buy through a dealership...If they were so inclined to do so...??

Or are they purpose built Spec racecars with no real relation to the street cars other than the basic shape...like NASCAR Cup cars...??

Are there different classes/Divisions of cars..??

Thanks TLBT.. 

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks again TwoLane. I ended up googling it and saw that racers often change intakes depending on what their next race is. If I ever got to that point in my life, I'd be looking for a proper hobby! Like knitting scarves or basket weaving. Really? Changing intakes? Weirdoes.

I already have a phenolic spacer and am in total agreeance with you. Engineers don't just add things to engines to keep themselves busy - there's always a reason.

Still waiting for lifters to arrive - by camel, apparently...via Saturn.

Re Bathurst racecars. Historically, Bathurst was one of many venues where cars you could buy were raced. In fact, many racers would pick up the car from the dealer, drive it to Bathurst from Sydney or Melbourne,  race it and then drive it home! The old adage was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday." Pop some decals on it, fasten your (factory) seatbelt, chuck on a helmet and drive the wheels off it. The rules have changed over the decades. The race used to comprise several classes of cars but the bogan (redneck) gorillas at the track were either Ford or Holden, and so the rules were changed so that only those 2 brands competed. With the demise of Australian car manufacture, it's now Camaros & Mustangs. Now, I haven't researched this info so if it's wrong, please feel free to correct me, but the last time I checked they used a 'control' 5 litre engine, control tyres and I think they run on E85? They are also proper racecars these days with all the mods you'd expect. Obviously, you CAN buy either car from a dealer but with their respective different engines. The race is now effectively a tool to keep the bogans happy in the faint hope that they might rush off to the dealer and buy themselves a new car. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY, they sent me home! I am home for almost all of November, so no excuse to not get the GP back on the road.

Brand new 19 year old Edelbrock inlet manifold (NOS)  was delivered whilst I was at work. Today I unpacked it - still in it's original box! I read through all the included literature from Edelbrock and it was a glimpse into the past - no website addresses in sight. They also included a leaflet spruiking their (then) new AVS carby. We all know the AVS2 superseded that one ages ago. So today I drained the coolant, removed the water pump and prised the ancient cast iron Pontiac manifold off the engine. The Edelbrock is aluminium and feels like it weighs half of the old monster. I have removed all the bits & pieces and will clean them up and repaint as necessary. I removed the valley pan and there were my lifters.

But...upon inspection I see the lifters are not aligned with the cam lobes. I had an inkling that they are supposed to be slightly offset to promote lifter turning, but mine look to be excessive. I got on the Net and looked around, and all of a sudden mine are typical of other posted pics. Have a look at mine and see what you think. I sort of recall buttoning up the camshaft and peering into the valley and noticing misalignment but I can't remember anything after that! Perhaps the old brain blocked it out and told me everything was Archie. I remember checking & double checking the thrust plate installation and I'm sure I got it right. I'll look again with fresh eyes tomorrow and will determine if I can live with it. If so, it SHOULD be a simple reinstallation of all the crap I just took apart. Can't wait to hear the exhaust rumble again - it really does sound the goods...when it runs.

One extra note - goddam lifters are all over the place. Some are firm but most are squishy.  I reckon I got a particularly bad batch from Melling.

20231101_102810.jpg

20231101_102149.jpg

20231101_144210.jpg

20231101_144229.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks Wrongway - that's reassuring. Looks like we stumbled onto a little known piece of engine building tech. You have no idea how relieved I am to see yours & Andy's pics. You always imagine the cam lobes directly under the lifters, but as I said before, no lifter rotation will occur unless there is some offset.

My post yesterday inexplicably disappeared, but in short it was how I got all the old gaskets off and am now repainting various removed engine bits that I didn't do properly before. Will post something later.

• Like 2

Fitzy - what is the local car show season look like in Queensland? Lots of car shows and cruises or do you have to travel a fair bit to get to anything?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fitzy said:

You know what - I'd be there in a flash. I reckon Taupo was my fave on the whole trip and I would love to immerse myself there for 6 months or so. Betcha scared now, aintcha?

Just because I rebuilt ONE 389 doesn't make me any sort of expert but haven't I learnt a lot over the past few years. I would be honoured to be tasked with your rebuild. For the record, I love Steinlager. Just sayin'...

Nice mate , I will fill the fridge :cheers:

we justA have to find something to occupy  the bosses :rofl:

• Haha 1