Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Well, of course. I didn't think that the solenoid is one big relay. I saw someone else do it and thought it might be a good idea. That's only 3 relays then - sweet.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Well, of course. I didn't think that the solenoid is one big relay. I saw someone else do it and thought it might be a good idea. That's only 3 relays then - sweet.

You would certainly do it on a old school bendex starter 

or any that don’t have a separate control solenoid … mostly fords !!! And tractors ! :rofl:
gotta rember too mate 

I upgraded my 389 starter to a reduction after market road runner … and to date 

no complaints at all . I do have their product in 3 cars now caddy with the 429 

camaro with its 355 and pretty girls 389 

https://www.roadrunner-starters.com/pages/contact-us

These boys build them here in nz 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, I remember your Road Runner. My starter (like everything else) is new and works fine, so I'll leave IT but will defo replace the thick wire that feeds into the car - 60 years of engine heat have probably done it no good at all.

I'm at work! That means I sit in an airconditioned bus waiting for the odd radio call whilst everyone else melts in the insane heat & humidity. A good time to do some relay research. 

You reckon 30A for the headlights & blower is good enough?

• Like 2

As a courtesy to any other electrical dummies out there, this link provides an excellent short easy to understand overview of automotive wiring. 

https://www.ogaled.com/how-to-select-the-right-wire-for-automotive-applications.html

• Like 1

I'm about to fly out later this morning but whilst 'at work' I ordered some relays, got some cabling size recommendations and thanks to Rick for embedding the new harness idea in my head. I had a look and there are some crazy cheap prices out there for generic harness replacements but Painless do a GM fullsize generic one for about US$250, which I think is a fair price. I have already downloaded the installation instructions and they'll make light reading on the flight back home. I will assess and decide once home. By the time you add up the cost of cables ($20 a 30m roll) & ancillaries, it might (MIGHT) be smarter to simply do the whole car at once and then it's done forever.

I'll be sure to bore the tits off you with what I decide. In any case, there'll be some amusing pics coming with me being strangled by miles of wire - like a cat playing with a ball of yarn.

• Haha 2

Thinking, thinking...I read through the installation instructions - 136 pages, thank you. They are well written, clear and cover just about every contingency you're likely to come up against. I am sorely tempted. Too busy quaffing beers right now to even think about it. 7 days without beer is good for the liver, but anathema for the soul.

I picked up the Frosty Memorial Tacho today and the dude had pulled it apart but was scared off by the sealed guts of it. He said they couldn't get a response from it, so now I'm wondering if I (or someone properly qualified) can retrofit a modern digital mech to the old skool needle & face. I'm going to email Lionel Otto Instruments in New South Wales. This guy is the Gauge God. If he can't get it to work, nobody can. The first attached pic is what is inside a 60's chrome shelled tach. The next ones are the sealed workings containing the black magic. Somewhere along the way, somebody has decreed that Pontiac blue engine paint is the correct hue for backlit gauges. Fortunately, I have one and a half cans of that stuff still laying about, so I'll zap it like I did the speedo.

Big day tomorrow, starting with bottling beer and then mowing, brushcutting and hacking down foliage. If I'm lucky, I MIGHT get to look at the car on Thursday.

20240227_154909.jpg

20240227_154938.jpg

20240227_154923.jpg

• Like 1

Are you going to run an ammeter in your Grand Prix? Due to the possible fire hazard of bringing that many amps into the gauge cluster, I'd convert to a volt meter instead. That is, unless you need absolute originality in a no holds barred, Texas-style, fight-to-the-finish, concours car show vehicle.

Rick

• Haha 2

Hi Rick, I have already decided to bypass the original ammeter. I have an aftermarket gauge cluster sitting under the dash that includes a voltmeter - that's good enough. I have read horror stories of old ammeters failing and of smoke emanating from under the dash - who needs THAT shit going on?

It's raining today so there goes mowing the property. I guess I will look at the car and try to figure out what route to take re wiring.

Oh, and my car is already slightly modified so even though it's matching numbers (should have done the LS thing, in retrospect) I'm quite okay with a little deviation from stock.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Has anyone replaced their indicators/stop lamps with LEDs? This is something I've always wanted to do and for less than $100 I can get 4 globes (nice bright red LEDs for the back) and a LED specific flasher can. I'm thinking of starting with that and a coupla headlight relays. Seems to me that the rest of the wiring just needs a good tidy up but am yet to do some resistance checks. Oh, and need to do something positive about the wires that transition through the firewall plug

I am not sure mate 

but you may need a diffent flasher unit to drive the leds as they don’t load the flashing unit like standard bulbs do .. 

• Like 2

I have replaced the interior lights with LEDs for the dash gauges. I have LEDs for the rear tail lights too. Kiwi is correct, you need to get one or two new flasher units that can manage LEDs and incandescent bulbs. They are around $15 US around here. Basically you replace your old flasher unit and emergency flasher unit with the new ones and you are good to go.

• Like 2

I guess I'm going need to switch that fuse also since I replaced all my interior bulbs to LEDs? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wrongway said:

I guess I'm going need to switch that fuse also since I replaced all my interior bulbs to LEDs? 

Not sure it’s worth changing mate . Only time it’s going to blow will be when a wire gets earthed .. and as long as it’s lower amperage than your wire size can take . It should be fine aye :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Not sure about interior lights, but brake N turnsig's need help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

You know if you had hair you wouldn’t have that issue of bashing your brain all the time mate :rofl:

can you take a better pic of that centre section 

in case I come across one 🍻

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

You know if you had hair you wouldn’t have that issue of bashing your brain all the time mate :rofl:

So that's my problem...... Who knew. 

We can fix that!!!!

image.png.dd8a62a8fa65d44ceacc0a7b8714d108.png

• Haha 2