Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

JAH11's 1968 GTO

2024 June
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

Posted (edited)

Took the car for several short trips around the block and it went fine. On the third short outing, I stopped to get some fuel. By this time the engine had reached normal operating temperature. When I departed the car started to run rough, misfiring & carrying on. I made it home and rolled into its parking space as the engine stalled. Popped the hood and everything looked fine. My eye was drawn to the coil and for some reason I touched it and the damn thing was hot. Now I know an engine mounted coil will always get hot but the engine was cooler than the coil. I pulled the coil and it's a resistor type. 'Use With Resistor' it says on the side. I am wondering if it's overheating due to NOT running a resistor, only resistance wire...which should amount to the same outcome.

Now, what's going on? This is the coil the mechanic fitted when the car broke down all those months ago. Surely it's not right for this car. The resistance wire should take care of any voltage lowering requirements. I measured resistance across the top of the coil (disconnected, earth side grounded) and got 1.3 Ohms. The Pertronix coil that he replaced (I still have) measured the same: 1.3. My factory workshop manual says the coil should be 1.8 - 2.0 Ohms.

Am I right in thinking the coil getting hot is causing it to misfire? Tried to search for the correct 1.8 Ohm coil but what a minefield. I'm thinking bypass the resistance wire altogether and install a ballast resistor. Then with simple arithmetic, I'll know that 12V from ignition, minus ballast (say 1.6) minus 1.3 at coil gives 9.1V to keep the points happy.  

Weirdly, when engine is idling I'm only getting 5 - 6V at the coil +.

Edited by Fitzy

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

11 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I found time yesterday to do some test joins with various connectors on scrap wire.

It seems the 'heatshrink crimp connectors' I was using do NOT contain solder. They look like they're full of solder but it ain't so. They won't even shrink with heat - the plastic just starts to bubble!  I also have the correct soldered connectors that are essentially clear with a coloured ring of plastic on each end to denote size and a ring of solder clearly visible in the middle. THEY are the ones to use - work perfectly. So, I'm going to get a nice big assortment of the correct ones off ebay and throw those other things in the bin.

And yes, Kiwi is right. When space is tight and you're upside down under the dash using the last 6 inches of factory wire available to you, the only real option is to twist the wires together and heatshrink over them. If I had attempted to solder those joins yesterday, my face would now be covered in solder burns.

I slept like the dead last night, finally free of waking up at 3am trying to figure out why the damn car won't start!

I am pleased mate 🍻

I like to use the "naked" butt connectors, crimp them and then solder/shrink tube 

Never was good at twist the wires together and solder.😜

Don't like the red/blue/yellow ones much.

• Haha 1

Fitzy I think you gave me your nightmares. Lucy is misbehaving and so close to Power Tour time.

I have NEVER had so much trouble with any old car. I drove my little 1968 Renault on some of Australia's roughest roads for 7 years and 300000km on points & carby and it NEVER played up.

Spoke to mechanic today about ballast resistors and whatnot and he said to just covert it to electronic ignition and I couldn't agree more. I still have the Pertronix 1 in the shed and the original AC Delco dizzy so might play around with that next time I'm home. He has always used MSD products but his budget is unlimited whereas I'm loathe to chuck yet another thousand on that sort of hardware. What a circus.

Well Frostarelli, I sure hope your wheels sort themselves out before you're parading around in front of hundreds of people and it dies on you. The brutal indignity that is pushing your car to the side of the road in view of an audience will only be cured by one of two things: buying a Corolla or plenty of alcohol after the event. Good luck! 

Just to give us all a laugh, what's the issue?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you found the problem. I am surprised that you had a problem with that one. I've had good luck with these fuel filters. Of course, I try to buy old AC NOS stock, I try to avoid the new stuff. Again I am biased.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why don't you JUSTA ask Alexa????  She knows everything!!!  AND she's awake at 3am.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Haha 1

Nice detective work there fitzy ! :cheers:
I am surprised you even stuck with the old Carter , I did what you did and rebuilt mine  and it just wasn’t perfect , as soon as I swapped mine out for the new edlebrock it was like night turning day !!! Way more power through the whole rpm range and you can see a much better squirt from the accelerator pump  

• Like 1

Perhaps if I unblock a few toilets and charge $400 per hour, I'll do just that.

The fact that the Edelbrock is largely designed around the Carter tells me the Carter is a good thing. Mind you, if I had known about the rebuild cost, I would have defo gone for the Brock.  Next time.

HA! Trick statement! There WILL BE NO NEXT TIME.

Now - anybody wanna buy a nicely running GP?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

....and loving every moment of it.

There is no hope of getting lost mate! My wife will give me explicit directions where to go and how to get there!  I'm never lost.....just confused.....a lot.

and thats how the fight started .......:rofl:

i am green with envy mate !!! i would love to cruise your big roads in my 72 and justA suck up everything alone the way !!!!

• Like 1