Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

When I asked the Edelbrock tech what would cause that he said the quality of the fuel now a days. My reply was "really, it's only been sitting 3-4 months at most". He said that with today's fuel 2-3 months is all it takes to start gumming things up and eating away at the rubbers inside. Sorry I can't give you a better answer Fitzy, maybe one of the other guys can explain it to both of us :lol:

My answer to that would be “really” to chad !

no way is fuel doing that in 2 months 20 moths yeah !

• Like 1

All I've found out about modern fuel is that ethanol (alcohol) evaporates. This is why your float bowls are empty if you leave the car sitting for a coupla weeks. I use a syringe (no needle, that's for afterwards...just kidding) and get fuel into both float bowls that way. It avoids endlessly cranking the engine to fill the bowls. The residue and gum are also obvious problems, but fuel must be stable for more than a coupla months, surely. Anyway, importantly Wrongway's issue seems to be sorted. Tap the carb with a screwdriver handle. Welcome to the 21st century. Hey George Jetson - having trouble with your anti gravity nuclear powered flying machine? Grab a screwdriver and tap the plutonium bowl. There you go! Sorted.

• Haha 1

That's right. In a Prius you'll be travelling to your destination (possibly Hooters) instead of stuck under the hood in the rain banging on the carb, grunting & sweating and moaning about what a piece of crap this is!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

That's right. In a Prius you'll be travelling to your destination (possibly Hooters) instead of stuck under the hood in the rain banging on the carb, grunting & sweating and moaning about what a piece of crap this is!

Hmmm some one needs to tell Fitzy why we are car people ! Hahaha 

we love grunting …. Sweating …. and most of all moaning ! 

:rofl:

• Haha 1

Yup, it's an argument he justa can't win. :rofl:

And you always seem to get better stories while, "stuck under the hood in the rain banging on the carb, grunting & sweating and moaning about what a piece of crap this is!" then you do at a Hooters. :rofl:

Edited by Wrongway
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its sunday afternoon here in nz , i took the boss for a ride in the 64, yes i have been negleting  her ... car that is :rofl:

And i keep feeling like i am pushing her to move,( once again the car not the boss)! which makes me think accelerator pump. again 

And . when i get back from a drive the idle is up, i can open the hood and twig the throttle and she seatles down.

now i have already checked all the rod connections to the carb and i think the main throttle body is worn, and the shaft is binding.

Ok, so my idea is new avs2. why?

you can rebuild a carb at home from a 58 year old car BUT there are parts that do not come in the kit. 

Fitzy is on the right track sending his one to a carb shop ... but i will go next level and buy a brand new one... watch this space.

Thats if i can buy a 650 cfm edlebrock with electric chock in nz! tonight.... 7 days before xmas... i dont think i will find one!! 

haha!

Merry christmas all our Forever pontaic family !

Wanted to buy 1 x #1906 edelbrock :dancingpontiac:

• Like 2

I think you're doing the right thing by going with a new carb. I haven't heard anything from the shop I sent mine to. The carb is either sitting on the post office floor in the corner covered in dust, it's been strapped to a satellite and is circling the earth, or the guys at the shop are frantically looking up How To Rebuild A Carter.

Mind you, it takes a lot of miles to wear a carb and your 64 doesn't look like a high mileage vehicle - the previous owner simply had trouble avoiding larger inert objects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to try my old pump plunger in it but after yesterday  taking it for a drive , I think it best not to muck with it any more 

I just called proparts and my mate there is going to find me a 650 cfm edelbrock 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still waiting on my new edelbrock avs2 to come from ebay...... its left Erlanger, Kentucky on the 13th of january and the delivery note says i will get it on 15th feb !!:rofl:

sit back a wait........:pop_corn:

• Haha 2