Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

On 8/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Speaking of new tools, look at what the wife bought me for my bday. Looks like i will be taking it up a notch with car restoration. The 66 suburban is doing great. I just finished with front disk brake conversion. I want to make the rear solid glass sliders so it my be my first welding project. You can see a picture of an old window frame. It is double channel. One is 1/2”wide and the other is 3/4. The trick is the corner curves. I guess I need to cut notches to allow it to curve then weld it back. Also I imagine i will need to bend up my channel vs finding the correct u-channel size. Oh, one more thing, i have never welded other than cheap harbor freight 110v stick welder. Should be a learning experience.

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_9957.jpeg

Happy to say I managed to figure out the welder enough to replace the rotten bottom channel. The hard part was to get the right side channel. It seems the ID of the U it too small for the bending machines. I ended up cutting to top off of some square tube which worked great!

Β 

Β 

Β 

IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1514.jpeg

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On 3/7/2023 at 6:43 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Ah plumbing is easy mateΒ :cheers:

another thing to consider is make a couple. Of loops in both you pipes between the master cylinder and the brass block on the chassis !

as you know your master cylinder is mounted to the body … which in turn is mounted to the chassis on rubber bushes that allow the body to move ! Your brake lines need to be able to flex too ! Hence a double coil of tube πŸ‘

image.thumb.jpeg.305b87c408de0b7a2694a2f2ae74a356.jpeg

Hi Chris, finally doing dual Master cylinder swap. Do you add any kind of proportional valve? I know I did for the 66 suburban but it had disk in front and drum in back which then needed proportional valve.

Edited by Bonneville convertable64

3 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Hi Chris, finally doing neural Master breat swap. Do you add any kind of proportional valve? I know I did for the 66 suburban but it had disk in front and drum in back which then needed proportional valve.

hi Del, no i havent done the swap yet, but Fitzy is on his 65, i dont think a proposioning valve is required as its drum- drum.

13 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Hi Chris, finally doing neural Master breat swap. Do you add any kind of proportional valve? I know I did for the 66 suburban but it had disk in front and drum in back which then needed proportional valve.

show us some pictures of your brake upgrade Del ! ...

i trust you and your family where ok with that major storm that went through forida ?Β 

20 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

show us some pictures of your brake upgrade Del ! ...

i trust you and your family where ok with that major storm that went through forida ?Β 

Hi Chris, the bad weather was on the other coast so we didn’t have much more than some strong winds.

Β  I had to put a rush on doing the dual master cylinder upgrade because the original would lose all its fluid in 4 days. The job would be easier if it included the fittings and coupler needed. Β I’m sure it’s different for various applications. In my case I only had room for one brake line on one side due to the wheel well. I ran the other line off the other side as you see in the picture. Not pretty but it works.

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_85903C2ACB3D-1.jpeg

Thanks for your help.Β 

• Like 2

nice work del !!!!:cheers:Β you could be a plumberΒ :)

Β i note that your old single outlet master cylinder had the c clip that my booster rebuild man warned me about !!!!

those eyelets in the c clip dig into the front seal on the booster, hopefully it hasnt damaged your booster !!!

Β 

now tell me !!!! how does the 64 brake ??????

glad you and your family where safe, we saw the media coverage, wasnt pretty !! both the boss and i commented on you and Ringo .Β πŸ‘

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

nice work del !!!!:cheers:Β you could be a plumberΒ :)

Β i note that your old single outlet master cylinder had the c clip that my booster rebuild man warned me about !!!!

those eyelets in the c clip dig into the front seal on the booster, hopefully it hasnt damaged your booster !!!

Β 

now tell me !!!! how does the 64 brake ??????

glad you and your family where safe, we saw the media coverage, wasnt pretty !! both the boss and i commented on you and Ringo .Β πŸ‘

The brakes are sufficient but will be better today after I bleed them. Interesting that there was no rubber boot. I tried to use the boot from the 66 suburban. It mounted on master Β but didn’t seem to fit in booster.

8 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

The brakes are sufficient but will be better today after I bleed them. Interesting that there was no rubber boot. I tried to use the boot from the 66 suburban. It mounted on master Β but didn’t seem to fit in booster.

no ! there is no dust cover on the booster/ master set up, the cylinder simply fits into the front of the booster .

thats only on a manual system where the push rod to the pedal has a dust coverΒ 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You will note I have added a wheel lock to the 64 !!

she found out we are heading to New YorkΒ 

and is a bit jealous!Β :dancingpontiac:

image.jpg

Mean whileΒ 

57 is nappingΒ 

and doesn’t hear to well !

so she doesn’t know we are leaving !Β :rofl:
Β 

image.jpg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Great value for $175 and good fit too ( no one sells anything this big in parts stores here in NZ ! )

I bought one of these 5 years ago and I note that my new one has more tie down points ..

unlike my old oneΒ 

Β 

IMG_2321.jpeg

There is extra straps front and rearΒ 

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

But they do Break down over time !! The material gets thin and ripsΒ 

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

And nice to see some accessories too !Β 

IMG_2315.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

A local artist painted this picture of Bonnie

IMG_3015.jpeg

thats sooo cool Del !!!

how life mate ? both the 64 going good ? hows your sons wagon coming along ?

• 4 weeks later...