Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

ah its ok... it tells me that there IS one out there... if i knew of a stock installation i could justA buy one off rockauto .

i am guessing that if it was it would be mid 60's gm cars that still had drum/drum set ups but boosted.

if i stick a disc/drum master on there i have to dick around with a bias valve to reduce the rear brake pressure

i will let you guys know what ames say.Β :cheers:

right now its 6pm and beer o'clock ! had a full on day digging drains!Β :cheers: cheersΒ 

Β 

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

So I think I found one that might work but I cant paste the link for some damn reason.Β 

Edited by Wrongway
  • Like 2

Fitting a twin master cylinder is a good move and is something I should also have prioritised, BUT where your Cortina is modified and hence requires upgraded braking, your Bonnie is unmodified so should be able to get through because it predates NZ Design Rules. In Oz, if it's pre 89 it doesn't need to be inspected. I think though, you said that because it is now crash repaired, that's why you need an engineer to look at it. That's fair enough, but the car is still unmodified so you may not need that new master cylinder.

At any rate, it's a cheap mod and well worth the investment. Once you've done yours, I'll get some details.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Fitting a twin master cylinder is a good move and is something I should also have prioritised, BUT where your Cortina is modified and hence requires upgraded braking, your Bonnie is unmodified so should be able to get through because it predates NZ Design Rules. In Oz, if it's pre 89 it doesn't need to be inspected. I think though, you said that because it is now crash repaired, that's why you need an engineer to look at it. That's fair enough, but the car is still unmodified so you may not need that new master cylinder.

At any rate, it's a cheap mod and well worth the investment. Once you've done yours, I'll get some details.

yes mate your dead right, and to be safe i wont change it till it gets through vinning! OR i bet they will make me get a certification for the brake upgrade!!!Β 

if i swap out the master cylinder after the car is all road legal, each time it has to go get a warrant of fitness they would never know what master cylinder a 1964 Bonneville had !:rofl:

Β 

1 hour ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Bought it. ThanksΒ 

i was going to get one Too Del but they dont ship to Nz !Β πŸ™„

So i have found a 1969 chevelle has a drum/drum master cylinder and i can get one off rockauto !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep us posted on the master cylinder swap. I have to admit that now I'm actually driving my car, it is all too apparent that the chances of 56 year old mechanical failure of any number of things could send me anywhere on the road amongst the traffic.

So, I've always wondered about this: how are you going to configure the outlet connections? Are you going to dedicate one reservoir to say, the front brakes and the other to the rears? I believe the factory setup is for each reservoir to activate a triangle of both fronts and one rear, so that you will always have effective braking no matter what.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 9:22 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Just arrived is the 69 Belair master cylinder,πŸ‘

Fitzy the part number on rock auto is ce 130.62016

and I tried it on the spare booster I have and it’s a perfect fit .... remember , my 64 is drum/ drum , so this is the correct one for my factory set up but wayyyyyy safer with its dual circuitsΒ 

Its about now that i love gm using generic parts!!!

So anyone reading this, and if you have a 61-68 with the single outlet master cylinder for your brakes, here is your best buy !! a factory configuration, dual circuit brake master cylinder. ( i am guessing that Pontiac used the single outlet master cylinder all the way up to 68 on the wide body cars)

This one part could be the difference between life and death if your single outlet master cylinder had a fail in any one of the four brake corners of your Pontiac .:dancingpontiac:Β 

4A42E8BA-F81B-4895-AB12-11B2A174C1E9.jpeg

i will, when i get time post the swap over from the old master cylinder too this dual port unit...

It will be easy as its justA plumbingΒ :rofl:

What is the diameter on this one vs your stock one?

Β 

• Like 1

This wont be done yet as i think i will get it legal and then change the system.( i dont want the powers to be, pointing at my master cylinder and saying "oh thats not stock" !!! "you will have to get that certified" )

once the car is road legal they will never look at it again, but i know the upgrade will make the car safer !!

What i will do is i have to go through the exercise on the mk1 cortina, so i will post else where on how it works on that car, it has a singe outlet master cylinder and i have a datsun 120y - 180b dual master cylinder coming from ozzy for it that is configured disc/drum for that car:cheers:Β 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...