Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

6 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Best of luck. This is a little embarrassing, but every time I take my car out and it shifts from first to second I think of YOUR transmission problems and I give thanks to whatever entity was looking over me that my trans works so well. It's gotta be a silly little problem - looks squeaky clean inside.

And mate thats the difference between 1964 and 1965 !! super hydro verses the first of the turbo 400 ! 

i am really hoping that we can make it work correctly..... Fitzy you will hear screaming me from nz sunday afternoon when its back together!!!

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Worse than that - you'll probably insist on taking me for a spin around the block in that damn thing when we come over. At least you'll have someone to help you push it home.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Worse than that - you'll probably insist on taking me for a spin around the block in that damn thing when we come over. At least you'll have someone to help you push it home.

Hell yeah !!!! :rofl:

And you can pass me the beers while we do skids too 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

• Haha 1

Bill the transmission guy has justA left and the good news the transmission is now shifting correctly:bowdown:he has add a ball bearing into some part of the valve body and didnt really explain to me exactly where. but main thing is that it went back together, we add 8 litres of oil and test drove it... shifts are working nicely and she kicks down perfectly:cheers:CE973639-985E-4964-BBE5-AD5F1466697A.jpeg

DAD7EAFD-6755-42DF-81EE-D0C64AE22BC6.jpeg

now i am really at miscellaneous details to do, i have one tail light thats miss behaving so i will replace it... 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

The drive side remote mirrow is stuffed 

you can see the cables are rusted out 

but I did see Ames do a replacement 

so I am not even going to bother with this old one 

AF2222DB-EA30-41C2-A1EF-F2D32BC5DA6E.jpeg

The indicator switch has been stying on after switching left so I pulled the switch opened it up and justA checked the contacts 

which where clean 

what I did notice is you can move the switch around where it’s screwed to the steering colum 

308942A5-5015-4420-8F17-E535299BB3BA.jpeg

B684660E-AB9E-43F8-82E7-B6C02B5C5AB5.jpeg

• Like 1

Don't forget I am bringing my old remote control mirror with me, although it's been fiddled with and as far as I was concerned, was not worth the effort to try and repair it. I am sure you will be far happier with a nice new reproduction. I replaced mine with a standard 'lean out the window and adjust' mirror because, really - how often will you need to adjust it?

As far as the indicator mech goes, are you saying the stalk won't self centre after you straighten the wheel, or does the indicator itself continue to work even though the stalk has returned to centre?

So, for the sake of one little ball bearing, your tranny now works properly? It sounds like he may have forgotten to install it in the first place. Anyway, that's great news.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

As far as the indicator mech goes, are you saying the stalk won't self centre after you straighten the wheel, or does the indicator itself continue to work even though the stalk has returned to centre?

yes mate, the whole switch mounted on the colum can be moved to set the centre so to speak

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

So, for the sake of one little ball bearing, your tranny now works properly? It sounds like he may have forgotten to install it in the first place. Anyway, that's great news.

yeah, its a bit odd what he said, all i know is he took the valve body away for the week and when it came back the trans shifts correctly !!!:rofl:

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Don't forget I am bringing my old remote control mirror with me, although it's been fiddled with and as far as I was concerned, was not worth the effort to try and repair it. I am sure you will be far happier with a nice new reproduction. I replaced mine with a standard 'lean out the window and adjust' mirror because, really - how often will you need to adjust it?

yes mate i will wait, it was justA one of those little things i had left over i wanted to see what was wrong with it.... and i had a slow day today, not feeling flash again. so i was really just potting around.

• Like 1

I'll bring it over (along with the standard passenger mirror) later this year. I don't know how the 64 indicator mech works, but I've only ever known for the switch to remain static, whilst a nylon cancelling cam does it's thing. I am so fortunate that my own mech works faultlessly - I've never even looked at it. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

• Like 2

Here it is at rockauto. Same switch but you need to transfer it to your original bracket. I did one Bonneville but still need to do the other. I also need to find the switch in the column connected to the arm. It is tight compared to a new one.

F2E6CA2E-434A-4AF6-B551-600D6B041C38.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonneville convertable64 said:

Here it is at rockauto. Same switch but you need to transfer it to your original bracket. I did one Bonneville but still need to do the other. I also need to find the switch in the column connected to the arm. It is tight compared to a new one.

F2E6CA2E-434A-4AF6-B551-600D6B041C38.jpeg

cheers Del, i did pull my one apart and its nice and clean, and i did get it to worker correctly by moving its mounting screws 👍

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I'll bring it over (along with the standard passenger mirror) later this year. I don't know how the 64 indicator mech works, but I've only ever known for the switch to remain static, whilst a nylon cancelling cam does it's thing. I am so fortunate that my own mech works faultlessly - I've never even looked at it. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

your 65 may be different Mate, on the 64 the indicator stalk, operates a shaft down the column to a slide switch operated by a wire loop, and this switch is mounted on top of the outer column sleeve above the gear shift inhibitor switch

i  am justA so happy that the transmission is working correctly and i can move on!!:cheers:

On 4/8/2022 at 3:15 AM, Fitzy said:

Your BOSS will not push his car no matter how nicely you ask her Fitzy.😁

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Your BOSS will not push his car no matter how nicely you ask her Fitzy.😁

We wont break down! my girl is better than she was factory now!!! :bowdown:

and i will certainly taking my ozzy mate for a drive, but we will be taking the bosses too! 

i will be taking fitzy and his boss to our favorite pub for a meal. its lake front in Taupo. magical spot !

We will be able to park in my special tradesmens reserved car park, that they keep justA for me !!:cheers:

• Like 1

You mean we'll be seen in public? Together? In that old junker? I'll wear my darkest glasses - the one's with the moustache & wig attached.

Actually -  I can't wait!

• Haha 2

I flew home today for 7 days of R and R. What's going on with that bucket of bolts of yours? You're probably busy with the house extension. I'm pleased to report that in between sanding down body filler, I am engaging in several forms of pottering about the property, doing non car related tasks. Nice for a change.

• Haha 1

we went to the beach for the long weekend, and i rested as i am still getting over a bad bought of flu !

feeling better now and have got into the build, frames are up. then work has got in the road again !! 😡

• Like 2

i feel i have made a major stuff up ! 

last weekend i took my little mk1 cortina for its first certification inspection and 1 item that was noted was i had used an after market single outlet master cylinder for the brakes, this is not allowed in nz. i can use a factory master cylinder and it will comply... which is cool if your using the original chitty chitty bang bang four pot kent engine with 70 hp :rofl: 

MY cortina has a duratec engine with itbs and dynoed to have 162 bhp @ the rear wheels in a car that weighs justA 750kg ( thats the weight of a T bucket with a v8 engine in petrolhead world) ITs wayy fun to drive !!!:driving:

i have been doing the "Fitzy".... ( we now have a name for building cars in the middle of the night!!! :rofl:))))  3 am building and fixing and my plan was to stick a oem master cylinder on the cortina ! 

DUMB move ! 

why you ask

because i have the same single circuit system on the Bonneville.... i have stuffed up !  

For the last 2 and a half years all the people who have read my thread have seen my thyme is not only to restore the 64 but to improve it !!!  

Make it more 21st century savvy! 

i have failed !! and it was starring me in the face !😔

i need to replace the standard single circuit master cylinder. and thats where you guys come in !

what master cylinder will bolt to the 9 inch gm booster that is dual circuit ? AND work correctly for a drum drum set up ? does your 65 have this Fitzy? 

none the less, i am pulling the master cylinder and re making the brake lines to suit a dual master cylinder.

i am still kicking myself that i didn't do it when i had the body off the frame !

major FAIL :stars:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i feel i have made a major stuff up ! 

last weekend i took my little mk1 cortina for its first certification inspection and 1 item that was noted was i had used an after market single outlet master cylinder for the brakes, this is not allowed in nz. i can use a factory master cylinder and it will comply... which is cool if your using the original chitty chitty bang bang four pot kent engine with 70 hp :rofl: 

MY cortina has a duratec engine with itbs and dynoed to have 162 bhp @ the rear wheels in a car that weighs justA 750kg ( thats the weight of a T bucket with a v8 engine in petrolhead world) ITs wayy fun to drive !!!:driving:

i have been doing the "Fitzy".... ( we now have a name for building cars in the middle of the night!!! :rofl:))))  3 am building and fixing and my plan was to stick a oem master cylinder on the cortina ! 

DUMB move ! 

why you ask

because i have the same single circuit system on the Bonneville.... i have stuffed up !  

For the last 2 and a half years all the people who have read my thread have seen my thyme is not only to restore the 64 but to improve it !!!  

Make it more 21st century savvy! 

i have failed !! and it was starring me in the face !😔

i need to replace the standard single circuit master cylinder. and thats where you guys come in !

what master cylinder will bolt to the 9 inch gm booster that is dual circuit ? AND work correctly for a drum drum set up ? does your 65 have this Fitzy? 

none the less, i am pulling the master cylinder and re making the brake lines to suit a dual master cylinder.

i am still kicking myself that i didn't do it when i had the body off the frame !

major FAIL :stars:

Looks like Ames might have something, have you checked their catalog? They have one for my car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Looks like Ames might have something, have you checked their catalog? They have one for my car.

thanks Andy, i was this very moment trying to find a dual circuit drum/drum master cylinder and was going to do a post to ask if anyone knew what ponti had one stock !:cheers: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

ah, on ames  it seams that all the listings are for disc/drum combo !

anyone know of a dual circuit master cylinder for drum/ drum ???? 

Yes i remembered that i have a catalog for Bonneville from both Ames and opgi and you are right i don't see one, to bad they have one for lemans.

• Like 2

guys i have emailed ames and asked the question .... wrong way do you know the company that sold you the master cylinder/ booster, they may sell justA the master cylinder 🙄

• Like 2