Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

2 Firebirdz's 1968 Firebird

2024 July
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy

You said you bought a new replacement starter.  Did you try that in the car?  The Old one was lucky to survive reentry into the real world after the 5 year mission to get back into your good graces.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

4 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

You said you bought a new replacement starter.  Did you try that in the car?  The Old one was lucky to survive reentry into the real world after the 5 year mission to get back into your good graces.

That’s what I was thinking too !

I so don’t trust standard old gm starter motors ! 
caddy , camaro, bonni, hq , all have aftermarket road runner starters 

just for the fact that they are more reliable 

And don’t stuff out when it gets hot 

I like the idea of a mini-starter. I was simply amazed anyone had any starter for a Pontiac in my area at all and I wanted to take what I could get. If it doesn't get used, I can take it back and order one online. I think Indyman Joe is happy with his starter too.

Mind you, this is the starter I purchased over 2o years ago when I had the burnt cable problem. It was one of the last "heavy duty" starters I ever saw listed. So if it still works, it's worth hanging on to. As for age, it don't really owe me anything.

• Like 2

I agree Kiwi.

It's been a priority for awhile now. I know what I want, i just keep getting side tracked and I don't get around to pulling the trigger.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i feel you need a hoist Fosty !!!!

I 2nd that emotion.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Imagine installing a starter motor simply by walking under your baby and lifting it into place ! standing back and looking at how simply easy that was and why the F--K you didnt buy one 30 years ago !!!!:dancingpontiac:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

and why the F--K you didnt buy one 30 years ago !!!!:dancingpontiac:

Lucy, my dad and I were stuck in a park lot at a rest stop in New Madrid Missouri off I-55 in 2002. A good Samaritan drove me to a local parts store that had a starter for a Pontiac. It was the heavy duty one I still have. Beggars can't be choosers. I took what they had, and until now, I've not had a problem with it ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Lucy, my dad and I were stuck in a park lot at a rest stop in New Madrid Missouri off I-55 in 2002. A good Samaritan drove me to a local parts store that had a starter for a Pontiac. It was the heavy duty one I still have. Beggars can't be choosers. I took what they had, and until now, I've not had a problem with it ever.

No longer talkin about the starter....talkin bout the lift.  

Imagine installing a starter motor simply by walking under your baby and lifting it into place ! standing back and looking at how simply easy that was and why the F--K you didnt buy one 30 years ago !!!!

I only have 8ft rafters/trusses.  End story:leghump:

Frosty has the room!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

No longer talkin about the starter....talkin bout the lift.  

Imagine installing a starter motor simply by walking under your baby and lifting it into place ! standing back and looking at how simply easy that was and why the F--K you didnt buy one 30 years ago !!!!

I only have 8ft rafters/trusses.  End story:leghump:

Frosty has the room!

He does aye justA !!! 

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2024 at 8:31 AM, Frosty said:

Well I spent literally the entire holiday weekend working on Lucy and to no avail. In fact, things are probably worse. I never really got into diagnosing the ignition switch. I was putting the old starter/new solenoid back in yesterday when it slipped, almost hit me in the head and ripped the terminal posts off the two side wires. Grrrr....after a weekend long of wrenching, on my back, and running to the parts store several times, I got pissed! Eff this!!!! I packed everything up in the trunk, took the jack stands down and put the car back on the ground. I am going to have this mother towed to a real mechanic. I've lost my patience with this SOB.

I plan to call a garage later this morning and see when I can get her in. At this point, Lucy going on Power Tour is looking pretty dim. The Trans Am will have to go instead (a.k.a. Plan B).

Here is the finished Hurst shifter, with 3 coats of clear on it. Remember this is an all aluminum grip.

IMG_1058.thumb.JPEG.b7ea7225e9e79700bdec6958ec7bdad5.JPEGIMG_1059.thumb.JPEG.7cf3d0db4a84e856ca5f1fa8f4225126.JPEGIMG_1060.thumb.JPEG.672a992698250f60a167f5c3ca104ecb.JPEG

Very nice job Frosty! Really! But I have one question, there’s a fair amount of work there & since you are trying to make it look like wood, why not just get a nice piece of black walnut & make a real one? JustA saying!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Last Indian said:

I think you do great buddy! 75% is being committed to the project & heaven know we should all be committed, errr I mean are committed. 😵‍💫

Our wives think the former, we believe the latter Last Indian!

It probably lies somewhere between passion and out right stupidity.

• Haha 2

Thanks Wrongway.

I am going to try my hand at faux-tina, or fake patina, in the near future.

• Like 2