Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

TranzAm69's 1964 GTO

2022 May
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy

Yeah, sorry Frosty, once again later to the party. There is a easier way & you don’t need to use the threads, but I guess it doesn’t matter now. At least you’re good to go now! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have been struggling to get the key cylinder out of the column. I am not proud of myself. I got frustrated and ended up using the air cut off wheel. I started by disassembling the column even more. I stripped everything off the collar contain the key cylinder. I could not get the cylinder disengage like the manual said. I was about read to literally cut it out from outside!

I ended deciding to cut off the retaining shaft that held a tan gear. This allowed me access to the cylinder itself from behind. Turns out that the cylinder itself needed some "gentle" persuasion to move forward out of the cylinder bore.

More column carnage!

1682688343_IMG_7059(2).thumb.JPG.9c540bd14b94c0e0acdd06d08bc91bd1.JPG456259106_IMG_7060(2).thumb.JPG.360f95b75c58c5bb7d59d57f51dbfcd6.JPG

I cut off the shaft between the tan gear and the collar. I did actually start cutting the case but I didn't get very far.

935544944_IMG_7058(2).thumb.JPG.e9701973a69458743d59dbf1a662d93f.JPG

Success! Finally!

1235772101_IMG_7061(2).thumb.JPG.37372d877a47008d48231e5c2231e23f.JPG

Now this can go into the new tilt column and I don't have to re-key the car. It's beer me time! :cheers:

As this point, I am not sure what I am going to do with the remains of the old column. Do I pitch it? Save it for parts? Send it off to be rebuilt?

• Like 1