Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

360Rocket's 1970 GTO

2024 February
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy

Yeah, sorry Frosty, once again later to the party. There is a easier way & you don’t need to use the threads, but I guess it doesn’t matter now. At least you’re good to go now! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have been struggling to get the key cylinder out of the column. I am not proud of myself. I got frustrated and ended up using the air cut off wheel. I started by disassembling the column even more. I stripped everything off the collar contain the key cylinder. I could not get the cylinder disengage like the manual said. I was about read to literally cut it out from outside!

I ended deciding to cut off the retaining shaft that held a tan gear. This allowed me access to the cylinder itself from behind. Turns out that the cylinder itself needed some "gentle" persuasion to move forward out of the cylinder bore.

More column carnage!

1682688343_IMG_7059(2).thumb.JPG.9c540bd14b94c0e0acdd06d08bc91bd1.JPG456259106_IMG_7060(2).thumb.JPG.360f95b75c58c5bb7d59d57f51dbfcd6.JPG

I cut off the shaft between the tan gear and the collar. I did actually start cutting the case but I didn't get very far.

935544944_IMG_7058(2).thumb.JPG.e9701973a69458743d59dbf1a662d93f.JPG

Success! Finally!

1235772101_IMG_7061(2).thumb.JPG.37372d877a47008d48231e5c2231e23f.JPG

Now this can go into the new tilt column and I don't have to re-key the car. It's beer me time! :cheers:

As this point, I am not sure what I am going to do with the remains of the old column. Do I pitch it? Save it for parts? Send it off to be rebuilt?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tonight I was working on Lucy. I was reinstalling the intermediate steering shaft. I loosely snugged up the bolts to the rag joint. I decided to jack up the car so I could crawl under the car to tighten up the bolts because was easier to get to them from underneath than from on top.

Well, I screwed up. I put the jack under the crossmember to save time jacking either side individually. Well the thing is I missed the crossmember and I was jacking on the oil pan! Yup, I put a lovely dent in the sumbitch. No holes but clearly I need to replace it now! F*)#@*$)@( F)()(*@&$@&$ F*&#*&@)(*#!!!!!! The engine has to come out to replace the oil pan.

I think I've reached the point that I need to take Lucy to someone professional and fix all my messes. I am frustrated and she is not getting fixed any quicker at this point. Shit. :picard:

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Tonight I was working on Lucy. I was reinstalling the intermediate steering shaft. I loosely snugged up the bolts to the rag joint. I decided to jack up the car so I could crawl under the car to tighten up the bolts because was easier to get to them from underneath than from on top.

Well, I screwed up. I put the jack under the crossmember to save time jacking either side individually. Well the thing is I missed the crossmember and I was jacking on the oil pan! Yup, I put a lovely dent in the sumbitch. No holes but clearly I need to replace it now! F*)#@*$)@( F)()(*@&$@&$ F*&#*&@)(*#!!!!!! The engine has to come out to replace the oil pan.

I think I've reached the point that I need to take Lucy to someone professional and fix all my messes. I am frustrated and she is not getting fixed any quicker at this point. Shit. :picard:

crap_zps6887aaf7.gif

icon_wtf_zps8717daba.gif

smow_zpsa911d928.gif

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

oh thats not good mate!!! i feel for you!!

that is one of those duhh moments Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is my glorious screw up. I know JUSTA wants to see it.

I've ordered a new Milodon stock replacement oil pan from Summit Racing and a new one-piece oil pan gasket from BOP Engineering. They should both be here tomorrow. I'm not sure about needing a new oil pickup just yet. I'm holding off on that until the motor comes out and the oil pan comes off and things can get inspected underneath.

1982051394_IMG_7151(2).thumb.JPG.0dc3e76661782fb19e5cb14569431fc6.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Well here is my glorious screw up. I know JUSTA wants to see it.

I've ordered a new Milodon stock replacement oil pan from Summit Racing and a new one-piece oil pan gasket from BOP Engineering. They should both be here tomorrow. I'm not sure about needing a new oil pickup just yet. I'm holding off on that until the motor comes out and the oil pan comes off and things can get inspected underneath.

1982051394_IMG_7151(2).thumb.JPG.0dc3e76661782fb19e5cb14569431fc6.JPG

Pickup tends to be more in the back part, so you should be good. That said, how  many miles on the pump that’s in there? Is it a high volume pump? Are you doing the work or some one else? 
I ask because since the motor is out, you might refresh what you can without getting to intrusive.

• Like 2

It’s a Melling high volume, high pressure unit.  Runs at 80 psi most of the time. 

I’m thinking of having someone do the work simply because I don’t have a cherry picker to pull the motor with.  The motor was rebuilt in 2005 and it has over 40,000 miles on it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

It’s a Melling high volume, high pressure unit.  Runs at 80 psi most of the time. 

I’m thinking of having someone do the work simply because I don’t have a cherry picker to pull the motor with.  The motor was rebuilt in 2005 and it has over 40,000 miles on it.

You should be good to go with a pan gasket & a once over

• Like 1

That's what I'm thinking. I will probably inspect the timing chain and perhaps the cam lobs but I was not planning on tearing down the motor unless there was something that warranted it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I talked to the owner of the shop today. He gave me some interesting news about Lucy. The engine and transmission are out of the car so the damaged oil pan can be replaced.

He informed me that the torque converter bolts were loose! Two weren’t even finger tight and could have come off, possibly damaging either the flywheel or the converter itself. The bolts are being replaced with grade 8 ones and nyloc nuts.

Next he told me that the U-bolts on the driveshaft were bent or damaged and the driveshaft was close to falling off the differential yoke! Yikes! 😧 

Obviously these are being replaced too.

With luck, the car will be finished this week or early next.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Next he told me that the U-bolts on the driveshaft were bent or damaged and the driveshaft was close to falling off the differential yoke! Yikes! 😧 

thats very interesting , did you see them ? 

you know how we love pictures mate :dancingpontiac:

The bolts are being replaced with grade 8 ones and nyloc nuts.

please tell me your not using nuts and bolts on a flex plate that should have welded threads in its self ?

• Like 1