Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

I took my dad's 2003 Blazer into the dealership this morning. It has 170k miles on it. Holy crap has it been neglected from a routine maintenance perspective. Suffice it to say it will have a complete 30k mile maintenance and 100k tune-up done on it, plus a complete brake and suspension inspection.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Not really my car, but yesterday i pulled the tractor into the garage to get some work done. I got myself a 75,000BTU Kerosene/Diesel torpedo heater heater. Temps were in the negatives, and that heater is a life saver! I started working around midnight and stopped at about 2am. I had to pull the hydraulic pump because it was leaking hyd. oil into the crankcase. The pump is driven by the timing gears so bad seals will result in a leak into the engine oil.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where one of these Orings goes. I'm guessing it goes into the bore for the pump shaft, but I don't want to put it back together and have problems.

10919023_10204344672391560_1438096199801

Anyways, working in a warm shop is GREAT! I can't believe I didn't get a heater sooner!

I forgot my Honda does not like single digit temps. My four year old Exide battery might finally die because of this cold, barely kicked over this morning at 7*F. Trans didn't even want to go into 5th it was so cold, on the way to work.

Anyways, working in a warm shop is GREAT! I can't believe I didn't get a heater sooner!

Oh hell yes it is great. I installed a zero clearance, diesel furnace. It is designed for a 1500 sq/foot house and it is doing great in my 480 foot garage. Cold beer warm garage is fantastic. Right now I am getting prepped for the body to come off the Chevelle in the warm. Also the new Optima Red Top is working great in the Vibe.

Not really my car, but yesterday i pulled the tractor into the garage to get some work done. I got myself a 75,000BTU Kerosene/Diesel torpedo heater heater. Temps were in the negatives, and that heater is a life saver! I started working around midnight and stopped at about 2am. I had to pull the hydraulic pump because it was leaking hyd. oil into the crankcase. The pump is driven by the timing gears so bad seals will result in a leak into the engine oil.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where one of these Orings goes. I'm guessing it goes into the bore for the pump shaft, but I don't want to put it back together and have problems.

10919023_10204344672391560_1438096199801

Havoc - could this be where the O ring goes?

post-317-0-96766300-1420835449.jpg

• Like 1

So I was sitting in my room, staring out the window looking at the Phoenix, covered in snow and forgotten, having returned the plates months ago. Suddenly I remembered the rumble of that little 305 that always puts a smile on my face, and the times when I would romp around in it like an idiot, doing jack rabbit starts at every stop light. I got this urge... I had to tinker.

So, today I found out I had a dead battery, go figure :lol2: . Jumped her, but I disconnected the jumper cables and she ran for a minute and puttered out and died. Tried to start again, dead. Battery holds no charge.

Gonna get a new battery, do a oil/fluid change. Throw some seafoam in the gas and vacuum line, put air in the tires, then parked her out of the snow and in front of the garage.

10931721_10204353671416530_3061148437296

Havoc - could this be where the O ring goes?

I originally thought that too, but no. I did further research and found out that that o-ring doesn't go anywhere haha. I need a pressed seal on my pump, the newer version has an o-ring, so I ordered the wrong part. The pressed seal goes in from the face and into the bore on the left piece. That flange is part of a Speedi-sleeve that someone put on but never took off. That stupid flange is what ruined the original seal because it sits tight against it and rubs as the pump shaft spins. I noticed that when I put it back together and the shaft was a sonuva-bitch to turn. It was an instant red-flag. I had to get creative to remove it lol.

So I was sitting in my room, staring out the window looking at the Phoenix, covered in snow and forgotten, having returned the plates months ago. Suddenly I remembered the rumble of that little 305 that always puts a smile on my face, and the times when I would romp around in it like an idiot, doing jack rabbit starts at every stop light. I got this urge... I had to tinker.

So, today I found out I had a dead battery, go figure :lol2: . Jumped her, but I disconnected the jumper cables and she ran for a minute and puttered out and died. Tried to start again, dead. Battery holds no charge.

Gonna get a new battery, do a oil/fluid change. Throw some seafoam in the gas and vacuum line, put air in the tires, then parked her out of the snow and in front of the garage.

10931721_10204353671416530_3061148437296

Before dashing off to pay for a new battery, trying bringing it into the house and putting it on a battery charger. Last year, my Avalanche's battery was half frozen from the extreme cold we had in January after sitting just for an entire weekend and would not start. I used my digital thermometer and it detect the battery was around 22 degrees. So it maybe partially frozen inside.

Bring it inside to warm up over night and put it on a trickle charger to see if it comes back. If you have no luck with it, then take it to your auto parts store to have them load test it for you. If it is bad, then you don't have to waste time dropping off the core charge for a new battery. I am doing the same thing right now for my dad's Buick Roadmaster battery.

Battery is toast. I took it inside, warmed it up, then put it on the charger. I left it on manual charge for 6 hours and it got to about 6-8amps on the meter, then I threw it on automatic and it dropped to 2. After that it was only registering 2 on the meter regardless of manual or auto. I know the charger isn't broke and giving me false readings because I tender the 6volt battery on my Farmall with it. (Charger has 12v/6v switch)

I might as well go get it load tested, its most likely that I'm gonna have to grab a new one anyway

Let us know how it goes.

I use to go thru a lot of AC Delco batteries in my '86 Trans Am in the days before smart battery tenders. They would die from sitting and sulfating since I didn't drive the car on a daily basis, especially in the winter. So the battery would not get exercised and charged regularly. The clock would slowly drain it, and the whammy, a 5-year warranty battery was dead after 2-3 years from sitting around too much without being sufficiently charged.

Any chance you can pull the battery out of the Phoenix, put it in the barn and put it on a battery tender when you are not using it in the future? Its a pain in the butt to take it in and out, but it sure beats having to replace a battery prematurely too. A Battery Tender Junior runs about $35-40 and does not take up much room. Now days you can get them at O'Reily's and other local auto parts store directly. Small investment, in my opinion, to save having to replace a $100+ battery.before its time.

Battery was toast, got it load tested. Battery was 4 years old lol, I'm surprised it lasted this long. I got a new battery, tossed it in and after a few hesitant sputters she idled just like the day I put her away.

My new problem: I seem to have no brake fluid. The "BRAKE" light was on and I though the sensor for the parking brake was just frozen or something because I've had problems in the past. Then I put my foot on the brake and it fell to the floor. I got new lines 2 years ago, I hope they didn't break..., I'll have to limp her over to the garage for further inspection.

Did you check the ground where the Phoenix was parked? Any tell tale puddles of fluid? If so, it might give you idea of where to start looking for the leak. Let's hope it is something as simple as a wheel cylinder bleeder screw that needs to be tightened.

Damn car sunk, I can't tell. The mufflers are touching the ground. I need to get the car moved, but I need to wait for a thaw. This really sucks.

I could use the Super A to drag her out. Thoughts on that idea? I don't want to be damaging anything

• 2 weeks later...

Well yesterday was an interesting day. I went to Saginaw for a swap meet, on my way there, I was passed by a 3-car caravan - all shrouded in automotive camouflage. I have no idea who's vehicles they are (that's the idea people). They were hauling the mail too, doing 85 mph on I-75. Its a good thing I had my Canon Rebel in the front seat next to me or I would have never had a chance to even get these pictures.

post-317-0-78446400-1422325357_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-71846200-1422325376_thumb.jpg

As I said, I hit the swap meet. I picked up some interesting goodies. An AC PF25 oil filter for $5, the last edition 2009 Pontiac model car printed catalog for $2, a pair of Pontiac arrow heads for $2/each, a Michigan Bell sign for $15, a license plate for Superior Pontiac-Cadillac (a Flint MI dealership that went out business), and some rare AC decals for about $20.

post-317-0-59560300-1422325892_thumb.jpg

Finally, after the swap meeting, I headed south and I stopped to see brother Indymanjoe. He had picked up a set up 15" Rally IIs plus trim rings for me for cheap!!! I was also able to proved to his wife that he had not purchased these rims for himself!!!! LOL!

I am glad I could get you off the hot seat Joe and put some coin in your car parts kitty bud.

I am very excited to get some new rubber on these bad boys after I get them cleaned up and powder coated this spring.

post-317-0-57067100-1422326153_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-22820400-1422326207_thumb.jpg