Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fitzy's GP is back!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Cast metal alloy of some sort. Not 100% sure what it is. Its definitely not iron, its too light for iron (and it isn't rusting(. Its not all aluminum, although I suspect the "heads and intake" are aluminum. The grille is stainless steel. So is the handle, timing cover and air cleaner.

Nice 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Fitzy, mate, I am so happy for you! She's a runner! Hopefully she'll be a goer in no time!

So tell me, is the Frosty Memorial Tach wired properly and working too? I ask for purely selfish reasons!!! LOL!

Keep up the good work mate! Cheers! :cheers:

• Haha 1

Thanks guys. I shall post a far better video once I've sorted a few things. Getting it to idle smoothly so that I can actually get to the engine & fiddle with it is the first thing I gotta do. Old engine had an untraceable vacuum leak and it sounds like it's there again, preventing a smooth idle. I'll dig deeper.

And I KNEW Frosty would want to know if his old tacho was hooked up! Not yet, mate. I didn't want extra wires to worry about potentially sabotaging the initial fire up if things didn't go right. I shall connect it once I sort everything else.

• Like 2

Yeah, cam got acquainted with lifters yesterday. After she fired up I ran it for about 20 mins at about 2 grand just like I was told.

Today, after much running around I finally got some time to play with the car. I checked all inlet manifold bolts for tightness and forensically inspected every hose & takeoff for potential air leaks - everything is tight & in good repair. I snugged down the carby nuts and was then satisfied that if there's a leak, it's my imagination. Bloody Carter AFBs have that stupid idle air screw. What's wrong with a regular screw & spring? I cobbled together a solution to make it idle at about 1500 rpm, then played with the 3 idle screws. NOW it idles nicely. I then wanted to check the dwell on the points and realised that it had been so long I had forgotten the procedure! That's tonight's homework. A mate gave me his ancient tach/dwell tester (remember those Olde Worlde things?) along with a xenon timing light. The memories! Anyway, I managed to check and adjust the static timing so it's now spot on and engine sounds happy. I seem to have some excess lifter noise, even though all the rocker nuts were snugged to 20 ft/lbs as per the specs. I remember doing just that (off the cam lobes) and then wiggling each pushrod as a check and they were all (in my eyes) loose. I'll have a go at a 'seat of my pants' adjustment tomorrow, whereupon you keep tightening the rocker nut until you can just manage to turn the pushrod. At least I know all the lifters will be pumped up by now. There's a tiny coolant weep from the thermostat housing which I'll get around to but otherwise she's good. I shall 'modify' those solid core leads so I can actually use them. I'm gonna fill the TH400 with Dex 3 tomorrow and should then be able to finally actually drive the car. Stand back!

Whoops! Forgot to mention. I timed engine with dizzy vacuum plugged and had it spot on. I then reattached vac line to manifold port and noticed that timing was advanced at idle. When I dismantled engine initially, dizzy vacuum came from  a tube at the TOP of the carby, so that's something else to explore.

Edited by Fitzy
Forgot something
  • Like 2

I also had a fuel pump issue Fitzy. It would idle but had no power when I tried to move her. I tried a couple different things before finally replacing the hose from the pump to the carb with a clear hose and a pressure gauge. It was pumping up to the carb but when stepping on the gas the pressure would drop off. I replaced the pump and the 2nd one (brand new from the parts house). wouldn't even let the car idle. I put the clear hose on the pick up side and into a gas can under the pump. It wouldn't even pull the fuel up to the pump, pulled it maybe 3/4 of the way up the hose. I think I post a video back then. I finally got a pump that worked right and it fixed the problem. I'm with Kiwi ol'buddy, check that pump.

• Like 1

First of all, pulled dizzy vac hose off manifold port and engine died, so it's working. Plugged both ends, timing was waaay out. Readjusted, reconnected vac hose, engine sounds happy again. Regapped the plugs, modified my HT leads and started her up. Took it up the driveway and no hint of hesitation or histrionics: strong straight off the mark. Now I REALLY wanna take it for a test drive. Seems to have a very low diff ratio (numerically) coz it almost idled up and down the drive even though I gave it a squirt both times. So, for all you peeps with a similar vintage Poncho, for the 65 389s at least, it is imperative that dizzy vacuum is ported directly to manifold and that you set the timing with that hose disconnected and plugged. 

I wired up the Frosty Memorial Tach to appropriate coil - and a + point and tried to start engine. No dice - seems that tach was robbing power from both contacts - engine would only run when both wires were removed from the coil, but tach needs coil - in order to get a signal. Even with + straight to battery, engine would not start.

Someone must know what's going on. Your thoughts, please.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

First of all, pulled dizzy vac hose off manifold port and engine died, so it's working. Plugged both ends, timing was waaay out. Readjusted, reconnected vac hose, engine sounds happy again. Regapped the plugs, modified my HT leads and started her up. Took it up the driveway and no hint of hesitation or histrionics: strong straight off the mark. Now I REALLY wanna take it for a test drive. Seems to have a very low diff ratio (numerically) coz it almost idled up and down the drive even though I gave it a squirt both times. So, for all you peeps with a similar vintage Poncho, for the 65 389s at least, it is imperative that dizzy vacuum is ported directly to manifold and that you set the timing with that hose disconnected and plugged. 

I wired up the Frosty Memorial Tach to appropriate coil - and a + point and tried to start engine. No dice - seems that tach was robbing power from both contacts - engine would only run when both wires were removed from the coil, but tach needs coil - in order to get a signal. Even with + straight to battery, engine would not start.

Someone must know what's going on. Your thoughts, please.

mate you get your signal from the - only, at the coil to the tac.... the + goes to switched ignition 

the tach reads pulses from the points to earth 👍

so somethings not right....i think you hooking to the + is where your going wrongway, but thats JustA my kiwi 10 cents :driving:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

If you guys get bored enough, can someone check their tacho (any tacho) and tell me how many wires feed it? From my online research, every tacho seems to need 4 wires, but the Frosty Memorial Tach only came with 3, probably why I got it cheap! 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

If you guys get bored enough, can someone check their tacho (any tacho) and tell me how many wires feed it? From my online research, every tacho seems to need 4 wires, but the Frosty Memorial Tach only came with 3, probably why I got it cheap! 😁

power feed from ignition switch, feed from negitive side of coil, power feed from dash light circut and earth/ ground :cheers:

mate its just on 100f in my shed today !! why are you send us all this bloody heat !!!

F484C51A-9F83-4DCA-AB82-C8A81C30FB97.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Spot on, but apparently the tach needs it's own earth as well.

Ground should be for the tach, you wire into your backlights for the dash so it all turns on when you hit the switch. 

• Like 2

I'll make it clear: SHOULD be a +, an earth, a feed from coil negative and an illumination. I only have 3.

Does anyone have a Pontiac factory tach? I just want to know if it's supposed to have 4 wires.

Oh, and I'm at work at the moment which is close to Darwin, so plenty of tropical storms and a potential cyclone is forming. It's been hot but is now just hot & wet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I'll make it clear: SHOULD be a +, an earth, a feed from coil negative and an illumination. I only have 3.

Does anyone have a Pontiac factory tach? I just want to know if it's supposed to have 4 wires.

Oh, and I'm at work at the moment which is close to Darwin, so plenty of tropical storms and a potential cyclone is forming. It's been hot but is now just hot & wet.

mate if your tach has 3 wires the ground and the signal from the coil are combined .

but dont justA run a wire from the coil negative, do a good ground to that same wire 

• Like 1